Nifty & Thrifty Find's

a few of the dollar stores by my home offer some samples for 3 for $1 and it works great for some things. samples are great for somethings but not all.

If your fussy about toothbrush next time you go to dentist or see them on sale,

pick up a few extra to keep on hand. If you loose a toothbrush that you got cheap or free you wont be so unhappy if you lost your electric one.

I allways bring a small refillable small round container with aloe vera in it.Works great in case of burn or cut shaving too. I put it fridge in door when I get on ship. Feels so good when put on cold.

if you are flying be aware that some airlines have limit on baggage weight. check limit before packing it, then check it empty on scale before packing it. then proceed to pack. roll clothes to save space.

Put plastic wrap on top of all bottles under lid to keep from leaking and then put in double zip bag freezer size works best.

Hair stuff... Put all barrettes,bobby pins, hair ties in another zip bag.

check to if able to find a small spray bottle for your favorite hair spray non areosole type. or product u use in hair if needed.

Some prefer pop up hampers to drawstring because they stay upright and open all the time. You can throw things into them. No opening, keeping the bag upright, etc. It is just a matter of preference. I have trouble bending over, so being able to just drop something into an open hamper is physically much easier for me.

Our Dollar Tree has plenty of them, near the front of the store at the end of the aisles. We haven't gotten any, but I guess it's worth a dollar.

I got the foldable water bottles today at my Dollar tree too for $1.00 in Summerville SC

• 3 weeks later...

With my cruise a few months out I have been getting a lot of free samples of beauty products. I keep a basket under the bathroom sink for travel of all the free sample offers you can find online. Shampoo, soap, conditioner, lotion, etc. I shouldn't have to take many if any of my large bottles and my suitcase will be a little lighter on the way home since these samples will be empty and thrown away. Until I go shopping anyway. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Our Dollar store is having a sale on summer items. Got a set of child's arm-band style watter wiggles for half off- .50 cents. Put them around your wine bottles, blow them up and they will be good to go in your luggage or roll behind to bring on the ship. ( I do slip them in a 2.5 gal zippy bag too. Our cruise line allows one bottle of wine so that will work for us plus we buy a bottle of Amarula on board to bring home, so the water wiggles will serve double duty. Well worth the .50 cents.

:D

This is one of the first places I come once I've booked a cruise -- just loads of valuable, clever ideas :) One of my favorites, that I've used repeatedly, is the collapsable shoe rack that hangs in the closet -- for years we've been travelling with 2 adults/2 children in one cabin and this turned out to be a huge help; the kids claimed all the actual "drawers" in the cabin, so the adults put all our folded clothes in the shoe rack "shelves".

I love the idea of the suction cups for the bathroom -- never seems like there's enough room to hang wet suits, or the ones that are hung in the shower need to be removed when someone wants to use it. This seems much more convenient.

Keep 'em coming! :)

• 3 weeks later...
This is one of the first places I come once I've booked a cruise -- just loads of valuable, clever ideas :) One of my favorites, that I've used repeatedly, is the collapsable shoe rack that hangs in the closet -- for years we've been travelling with 2 adults/2 children in one cabin and this turned out to be a huge help; the kids claimed all the actual "drawers" in the cabin, so the adults put all our folded clothes in the shoe rack "shelves".

I love the idea of the suction cups for the bathroom -- never seems like there's enough room to hang wet suits, or the ones that are hung in the shower need to be removed when someone wants to use it. This seems much more convenient.

Keep 'em coming! :)

Also, the small individual plastic baskets are great for on top of the vanity. They are sold at the Dollar stores 3 to a pack and are apx. 8"x3". They are perfect for giving everyone their own basket to hold their S&S cards, chapstick and what ever small items that one has. It keeps the top of the vanity clear and everyone knows where their own stuff is. The medium sized ones also work great for sorting out socks and such for each person. They are small to pack and very handy to have.

:)

Also, the small individual plastic baskets are great for on top of the vanity. They are sold at the Dollar stores 3 to a pack and are apx. 8"x3". They are perfect for giving everyone their own basket to hold their S&S cards, chapstick and what ever small items that one has. It keeps the top of the vanity clear and everyone knows where their own stuff is. The medium sized ones also work great for sorting out socks and such for each person. They are small to pack and very handy to have.

These would be great for inside the safe too! I can't tell you how many times I read the sad stories of people forgetting a piece of jewelry (ring, etc) that must have slipped under the little fabric mat inside the safe. Most of them are never recovered. :(

My boyfriend stopped at Family Dollar store today and came home with a pair of water shoes, regular $7 for 50 cents. I was very proud of him.

I take some sample size things that I get in the mail, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner. I take a travel toothpaste. I use a 7 day pill container with all my med's in it, and also put some aspirin and tylenol PM's in it as well. Zip lock bags come in handy for everything:)

My boyfriend stopped at Family Dollar store today and came home with a pair of water shoes, regular $7 for 50 cents. I was very proud of him.

I take some sample size things that I get in the mail, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner. I take a travel toothpaste. I use a 7 day pill container with all my med's in it, and also put some aspirin and tylenol PM's in it as well. Zip lock bags come in handy for everything:)

A few of the larger size ziplocks are also great for damp swimwear or seashells etc...... when packing to come home.

We have also used the smaller zippy bags to put some extra cookies or a muffin in from our breakfast tray. It comes in handy for an afternoon or evening snack on the balcony.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to this thread, I picked up some useful items at the Dollar Tree before our cruise last week.

My favorites were the pop up hamper and collapsible drawer. Both folded flat for travel and took up virtually no space, but were invaluable in our cabin.

Thanks for the great ideas. :)

The drawers at the Dollar Tree seem to sell out fast, you may need to check often. They are in the closet area. If you are really lucky, you may be able to score a package that has 2 instead of 1, happened to me 3 times.

The drawers at the Dollar Tree seem to sell out fast, you may need to check often. They are in the closet area. If you are really lucky, you may be able to score a package that has 2 instead of 1, happened to me 3 times.

Awesome....thanks!

Less... I was on Splendor a couple Weeks before the fire and I think about it every time I pack for a cruise. Always have a flashlight with me now! I find myself stockpiling cereal boxes in my stateroom just in case.

My $ saving tip is this... Save every 50 cent and up coupon for toiletry/laundry items that does not say excludes sample size. I find that I can get free sample sized items at Target all the time. But you never know what brands they're going to have so I carry a little baggie with all my coupons in my purse and check the selection any time I go. I have found lots of free travel sized laundry detergent for quick sink washes. It's pretty awesome when the check out girl gives you a weird look because most of the stuff in your basket is free. This can work any where that has a travel sized section, Target is just my peroneal favorite.

Edited by Ciyra
spelling

For anyone that enjoys the flavored coffee creamers, Dollar General carries a box of the individual bubble-style that does not need refrigeration. They were around $3 per box and had several servings. They are located in the asile with the canned coffee and powdered creamers.

We looked for a collapsible drawer at Dollar Tree over the weekend, but couldn't find anything. Where in the store did you find one?

Like was already mentioned, they do sell fast and are in the closet section near the mothballs and mesh hampers.

In my Dollar Tree, had I not been specifically looking for them, I would have missed them. They were in a bin on the bottom and, because they are folded flat in plastic wrap, it's hard to tell what they are. Most patterns have blue and maroon in them and they come in a few different sizes. You have to pick through them to find what you want.

I was at the Dollar Tree store the other day & picked up some vacuum packing bags, haven't played with it to see how much it hold. Also, they had a travel case of nail file, clipper& 2 / 3 more things for 1 buck. Not the best, but it could be a leave behind item.