on-board cell phone service

brovol

We have never used the cell phone service that is available while the ship is at sea. We are on the Jewel next week (sails Sunday), and want to text and email back to the office and family, with our Droid phones. We are with Verizon, and the Verizon web site says text messages are 5 cents for incoming, and 50 cents outgoing, and email service is based on kilobytes, or something like that.

Has anyone used the cell phone service? How well does it work? is this a better email option than the internet service for computers?

Be careful with doing data services. They can very expensive very fast. Have not found any good deals.

The ship charges $.40 to $.75 per minute for internet, for ALL usage.

Calls are $2.49 a minute.

We were on the Dawn in February 2010 and I used text messaging with my daughter back in Ohio. We both had international texting on our phones so I did not incur any charges. Have fun!:)

I was under the impression, that even with an INTL plan,there were still charges while onboard for texting. How much was you plan, was it unlimited texting without extra charge, and which carrier did you use?

I was under the impression, that even with an INTL plan,there were still charges while onboard for texting. How much was you plan, was it unlimited texting without extra charge, and which carrier did you use?

Not always. We have Verizon and when we activate the international plan we can use Blackberry Messenger to text for free abroad/acruise. Regular text costs, but Messenger is free.

Not always. We have Verizon and when we activate the international plan we can use Blackberry Messenger to text for free abroad/acruise. Regular text costs, but Messenger is free.

Does the Verizon plan avoid the charges that are usually tacked on to phone usage by the cruise line or Cellular at sea?

Does the Verizon plan avoid the charges that are usually tacked on to phone usage by the cruise line or Cellular at sea?

According to Verizon this morning there is a flat rate charge (69.99/mo) for unlimited international data/email. International roaming fees ($2.49/min) apply for voice, but since we have the data plan, we have been told that we can use Skype to place calls through data and avoid the voice roaming charges. No additional fees (again, according to Verizon). We're cruising next Saturday, so I can confirm actual experience when I return.

Aren't "international roaming" and "Cellular at Sea" two different things? The latter enables you to use your American cell phone when at sea as though you were in the U.S. (although at a pricey $2.49/minute). (In fact, if you have a Verizon phone that is NOT a world phone, you can still make calls while at sea.)

When you are at sea and calling via Cellular at Sea (which has deals with all the major carriers, including Verizon and AT&T), I don't believe this is considered "international roaming," which with most carriers is a whole set of different charges/rate plans.

I would not use any of the phone services supplied by the ship, except in a dire emergency.

I would wait for a US port like St. Thomas or San Juan where cell phone use is the same as being in the US (which they are). If there's no stops in a US Port, cell phone is not a good idea to use. Just my opinion. ;)

If you have AT&T, see here:

http://www.wireless.att.com/travelguide/coverage/roaming/step1.jsp

You choose your phone manufacturer and your trip itinerary, including the cruise line and the ship you are sailing on and it determines whether or not you will have coverage.

ok

i did this, but i assume i still will be charged extra per call or txt if i use my phone and laptop..

from the site

destination details

INTERNATIONAL WIRELESS ROAMING PER MINUTE RATES

Roaming:

Calls Placed/Received

While in Bermuda

AT&T Standard International Roaming $1.99

AT&T World Traveler $1.69

AT&T Canada $1.99

AT&T Mexico $1.99

Data Usage: All GPRS pay per use rates are $.0195/KB, except in Canada rate is $.015/KB

Text, Picture and

Video Messages:

Send Text Message $0.50 per message sent

Send Picture and Video Messages $1.30 per message sent

Receive Text, Picture and Video Messages Home pay-per-use or package rates apply to all text, picture or video messages received when roaming internationally. Please visit http://www.att.com for details.

am i reading it correctly? that i can receive txts based on my at home package, yet charged extra to send them?

• 4 weeks later...

Are there any charges for receiving text messages on AT&T or T-Mobile via the ship's receiver ?

My local provider has roaming plans with these 2 companies, and I'm informed that incoming text messages (at least on land) are free. However I wonder if there will be a separate charge if it goes through the ship's receiver.:confused:

I tend to get unsolicited spam text messages on any given day, so I'm wondering if I should be keeping my cellphone off at all times while on board.

Aren't "international roaming" and "Cellular at Sea" two different things? The latter enables you to use your American cell phone when at sea as though you were in the U.S. (although at a pricey $2.49/minute).
When I'm using my phone via NCL's implementation of Cellular at Sea, I'm charged as if I'm roaming in the Bahamas - that's the country code that shows on my bills for all my phone usage on board that's routed via the ship's cell.

I can't imagine that it is any different for US phones. But the rates charged to the phone customer by the home network may depend on the roaming agreement between the home network and the local service provider, so this may be a reason why some customers find that Cellular at Sea calls are charged differently from other international roaming.

I posted similar question asking if service on the Jewel and told same rates as I had on Carnival Miracle last year. Unfortunately we had an attempted break in and I had to contact my brother. It indeed was $2.95 (verizon) a minute and that adds up quickly. The texting was much cheaper to do. He thought I was being whacked by high charges for that and wouldn't answer me. I do not have a text plan with Verizon and was not charged any extra because I did not have the plan.

In 2007 aboard Crown Princess I used my Aunt's AT & T phone to call home as she was not getting a roaming message. St. Thomas was free, Grand Turk was small charge, Bermuda WHEW!!!! $12 a minute.

Our first cruise we used shipboard phone $12 a minute -- so it makes $2.95 a minute bargain basement prices!

In 2007 aboard Crown Princess I used my Aunt's AT & T phone to call home as she was not getting a roaming message. St. Thomas was free, Grand Turk was small charge, Bermuda WHEW!!!! $12 a minute.
If you use your phone when the ship is in port, the ship's cell should be switched off and you will be using the shoreside cells. The rates you pay will inevitably depend on where you are.

I would not use any of the phone services supplied by the ship, except in a dire emergency.

I would wait for a US port like St. Thomas or San Juan where cell phone use is the same as being in the US (which they are). If there's no stops in a US Port, cell phone is not a good idea to use. Just my opinion. ;)

One opinion.

We always have both cell phones turned on while on the ship. A few calls here and there at $2.49 a minute is no big deal.

As said, be extra careful about data usage onboard. Cellular at Sea is different than "international" or "unlimited" plans.

This is off topic and I apoligise to all all but,

Globaliser

I have noticed on your signiture that you have asked why QANTAS has no U in it. I am not sure if you have ever been informed why but I can help you out. As you may have noticed QANTAS is always spelt with capital letters because it is an acronym. It stands for Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services Ltd (QANTAS). So it comes down to QANTAS has no U because it is not a word. You can find out about the history of QANTAS at this site if you wish.:)

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/history/global/en

John

Archived