They just changed my flight time!

ready2gosailing

I just got an email letting me know that my departure time for my return flight has been changed. We are booked on Victory out of San Juan on May 16, returning May 23rd. Ship is due back in San Juan on the 23rd at 7 am, and our flight was just changed to 11:10. Is this possible to make? This is our first cruise, so we're a little apprehensive about everything working out ok time-wise anyway, so this doesn't really help. From what I've read, taking our own luggage off the ship at debarkation would be the best way to get off the soonest. Is this right? Do we just grab our stuff and go as soon as we can? There is only one other cruise ship debarking that day, at least according to what I've been able to find out. Opinions? This is the first time we've flown, so I'm not even sure if I have any options. Flight is paid for.

Very excited about our trip, but a little worried about the flight time. I'm not sure if worrying is even helpful, since I don't know if there's anything we can do about it anyway.

Thanks!

I just got an email letting me know that my departure time for my return flight has been changed. We are booked on Victory out of San Juan on May 16, returning May 23rd. Ship is due back in San Juan on the 23rd at 7 am, and our flight was just changed to 11:10. Is this possible to make? This is our first cruise, so we're a little apprehensive about everything working out ok time-wise anyway, so this doesn't really help. From what I've read, taking our own luggage off the ship at debarkation would be the best way to get off the soonest. Is this right? Do we just grab our stuff and go as soon as we can? There is only one other cruise ship debarking that day, at least according to what I've been able to find out. Opinions? This is the first time we've flown, so I'm not even sure if I have any options. Flight is paid for.

Very excited about our trip, but a little worried about the flight time. I'm not sure if worrying is even helpful, since I don't know if there's anything we can do about it anyway.

Thanks!

The airport is only about 15 minutes away from the cruise pier. If you do a self debark, meaning you take your luggage off on your own you might be okay if you can get ashore by 8:30 am.

Though, most domestic flights you need to be at the airport at least two hours in advance. so you will be cutting it close. Call the airline and try and get a later flight. Tell them you are booked on a cruise and the new flight time is too early. I'm sure they will work with you.

Jonathan

Thanks for the insight. Can they change my return flight even though it is already booked? I've never flown commercially, so this is new to me. I just figured that once it was booked, it was booked, you know?

Thanks again.

Airlines can and will change their flights schedules all the time.

An option that you have (if you haven't already approved the new flight change) (( and the change was more than 90 minutes)) is call the airline. They can accomodate your schedule and usually will not charge you any additional fee's if THEY were the ones that changed your original schedule.

So true! Now tell us why they do, somebody:confused:

Let's see. One reason could be:

They open flights for booking 360 days out.

They have 5 daily flights from point A to point B

Economy goes in the crapper

People stop booking flights

Airline needs to make money to operate.

Routes, timelines, gate approval, need to be adjusted

Airline (to save money) cuts back from 5 flights a day to 4 flights a day.

Passengers already booked need to be accomidated.

Place them on a flight a close as possible to their original itinerary.

Another reason could be Airline A just bought/absorbed Airline B

Between Airline A and Airline B there were 10 daily flights between point A and point B.

More cost affective to have only 8 daily flights and still move the same number of passengers.

Hope this answers some of the possibilities as to why.

This has happened to me several times. If you have not approved the new itinerary (should have given you this option in the email) then call them to change to a later time if you feel uncomfortable with the close flight times. They will not charge you extra since they change the flight. I've done this with no problems.

Thanks!

I had this exact SAME thing happen to me (a may cruise and airline changing my departure flight time almost 4 hrs earlier). I was worried we would be rushed getting to the airport, so I called the airline and politely explained that I had to have a later flight out because I was returning from a cruise and that the new departure time just was not do-able. They did change my flight time with out any penility charges since they time change was originated by them. DONE! No problem. We will have a few hours to grab a bite, and do some special things in our port city before heading to the airport. Good Luck and have fun.;)

Been on the phone with everyone, airlines, priceline, etc. Can't change because it wasn't a big enough time change they said. A later flight in the day would cost almost $700 (difference in fare plus $75 fee, per passenger). And if we miss our flight we don't get refunds and have to buy tickets for a later flight. Is 11:10 do-able? If we take our own luggage off the ship, and are ready to go and waiting as soon as we are able to leave (we dock at 7am, how soon can we get off?), and go straight to the airport, can it be done? I really don't want to spend my vacation stressed about missing the flight home.

This sucks.

Been on the phone with everyone, airlines, priceline, etc. Can't change because it wasn't a big enough time change they said. A later flight in the day would cost almost $700 (difference in fare plus $75 fee, per passenger). And if we miss our flight we don't get refunds and have to buy tickets for a later flight. Is 11:10 do-able? If we take our own luggage off the ship, and are ready to go and waiting as soon as we are able to leave (we dock at 7am, how soon can we get off?), and go straight to the airport, can it be done? I really don't want to spend my vacation stressed about missing the flight home.

This sucks.

What was your original flight time and which airline?

11:10 is doable. Actually 12 was too early to begin with (in my book ) for San Juan but that's another story. I'm sure the cruiselines recommendation in their FAQ section stated 1:30 departure.

You will need to self debark with your own luggage in my opinion and grab a cab when you get thru customs and immigration.

Just to let you know that when you get to the airport, your luggage has to go thru an agriculture screening (x-ray machine) (just like Hawaii if you've ever been there) before you can actually enter the airport to check in at the counter

Airline is AirTran, original flight time was noon. Not a huge difference, agreed, but still.

That really does surprise me that Airtran would not work with you to change your flight as we've had them change flight times on us before and they were really good about allowing us to pick another flight we were more comfortable with. While 50 minutes is not a great deal of time that you've lost it still is a considerable amount of time to have lost for catching a flight after a cruise.

Be sure to carry your own luggage off the ship and be among the first to leave. Not knowing that airport I hesitiate to say this put normally the best advise would be to get a taxi and not use the ships transfer so you don't have to wait for the bus to fill before leaving for the airport as that can also waste time. You really should be ok as long as there are no major delays that morning for getting off your ship. If you have to think positively and hopefully all will go well for you. Be sure you take the airlines phone number with you and do call them from your cell phone ahead of arriving at the airport if for some reason you find yourself with a major delay in getting off your ship- that will likely NOT happen but being prepared to be able to do so ahead of time will help your stress level.

I personally would be calling the airline again tomorrow and "nicely" pleading my case again (to very likely an entirely different person) that you had specifically booked tickets on a plane that did not leave until noon because you are on a cruiseship that morning and knew you needed to be certain you gave yourself enough time to allow for delays and seeing as the airline had now changed that flight to 50 minutes earlier there is the real possiblity that a problem could exist so they need to move your flight to a later departure. Be prepared with the exact flight that you wish to change to (and if possible a second option). Letting them know you are frustrated and concerned is ok but do so in a very positive manner. The airline reps deal with a lot of frustrated customers and more often than not the passengers that are polite and let the reps know that they understand the reps are not to blame for the airlines changes are the passengers that the reps are much more willing to attempt to help. The worse that can happen by trying again is simply hearing no again but you could get a different answer this time.

No matter what keep watching your flight for any additional change in time. Don't wait for them to notify you. At this point on Airtran it probably won't change again, but it could.

Hope you enjoy every minute of your cruise!:)

First of all, NEVER book a flight before 1:00..... ever.... Period! The cruise lines state this for a reason.... follow directions.

Since you booked with Priceline, you are probably screwed as they have horrible customer service, and you don't get any refunds if you change anything or cancel.

I think it MIGHT be possible to make this flight, but you will want to carry your own luggage off the ship as early as possible, zip through customs, and get a cab to the airport. Don't forget that you MUST go through the agricultural check at the airport.

Good luck, and learn from this mistake for next time.

Ready,

All I can say is, "Get comfortable with it." I took my first commercial flight last Nov. to Miami for a cruise. We booked 8 months out and the airline changed our flight 3 times before departure day. Still had a great time.;)

Guess we'll deal with it. AirTran was very nice when I called, it's priceline that was stubborn. AirTran said priceline had to take care of it, and of course priceline said no.

Oh well. We'll just have a blast on the cruise, and hope for the best. I'm not going to let it ruin my vacation one way or another.

Guess we'll deal with it. AirTran was very nice when I called, it's priceline that was stubborn. AirTran said priceline had to take care of it, and of course priceline said no.

Oh well. We'll just have a blast on the cruise, and hope for the best. I'm not going to let it ruin my vacation one way or another.

At least you have no worries about getting TO the cruise. Who cares about going home... right! :rolleyes:

On my last cruise, my friend and I informed cruise staff that our flight was leaving very early.. so they bumped us up towards being in the first section of people to disembark. It all went smoothly and we got to the airport in time.

My suggestion is for you to do the same thing. Simply inform customer service rep that your flight leaves early. This will help you be in the section that gets to leave/disembark earlier rather than later. Shouldn't be a problem getting to the airport on time.

Of course, it certainly helps to take care of your own luggage AND be fully packed the night before. That way, there are no worries or stress the morning of disembarkation.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!!!

this happened too me on my first cruise trip. northwest changed my flight on the debarkation day to 8:30 am :eek:. i called them, told them about the problem and they changed my flight again to a better time for no charge. i was very insistant and told them it was their schedule change for me that caused the problem. i hope it workks out for you as well and you have a great time. a cruise is the time too '' de-stress ''. enjoy :)

That's the downside to using discounters.

Archived