Dominica or St. Lucia? Which island would you NOT do an excursion?

kidrn65

Our family of 4 (including two 18 year old boys) are on the Victory departing San Juan on 6/6/10. Since this is such a port intensive cruise, I'm trying to save a little money and skip at least 1 island excursion. I've read great things about the St. Lucia island tour w/Cosol, Ambrose Spencer, etc. but think my boys would be bored stuck in a van for 5-6 hours. It seems the snorkeling is better on other islands, as well. So...we were thinking about doing the River Tubing with Antours in Dominica or the Zip Lines in St. Lucia. I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions about which might be more fun/value for the money for those who have done both. I'm about blind from spending so much time researching on the boards! Please help.

Thanks!

I did the Land and Sea Combo to Soufriere with the ship in St. Lucia. It's $90 per person but it's excellent. I prefer this to Cosol's itinerary for two reasons:

It goes to the Diamond Botanical Gardens and you take a catamaran back. The catamaran stops at Anse Cochon for about 45 minutes of swimming and snorkeling. I couldn't do the bus there and back, it's just too long and the roads are two winding, but it was lovely to see the sights on the way down.

I am recommending this to everyone traveling with me on my upcoming victory cruise - the only reason I'm not doing it is because I've gone before.

I haven't done the tubing in Dominica, I didn't do any excursion last time I was there. This time, I'm going to the Emerald Pool and also to Mero Beach. (With the ship.)

My advice though is to see the south west coast of St. Lucia. It's the most beautiful place I've seen.

Our family of 4 (including two 18 year old boys) are on the Victory departing San Juan on 6/6/10. Since this is such a port intensive cruise, I'm trying to save a little money and skip at least 1 island excursion. I've read great things about the St. Lucia island tour w/Cosol, Ambrose Spencer, etc. but think my boys would be bored stuck in a van for 5-6 hours. It seems the snorkeling is better on other islands, as well. So...we were thinking about doing the River Tubing with Antours in Dominica or the Zip Lines in St. Lucia. I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions about which might be more fun/value for the money for those who have done both. I'm about blind from spending so much time researching on the boards! Please help.

Thanks!

For what it's worth, I have never been to Dominica, but I have been to St. Lucia. In my opinion, St. Lucia is the most beautiful place in the Caribbean. Anything you choose to do there, if you get to see the countryside, is priceless. Don't miss seeing this gorgeous island!! You won't be sorry!!!!

Mineral Baths:

135.JPG

Diamond Falls:

139.JPG

View of the Pitons from our catamaran sail back to Castries:

156.JPG

I didn't get any shots of where we swam/snorkeled because I was hot and jumped in the water. It was not at Jalousie beach (where Cosol goes) it's north, on the way back to the port. Anse Cochon was nice. We also passed by Marigot Bay which was lovely. A delicious lunch and open bar were included. Highly recommend this excursion. No way I'd be able to take the bus there and back so the catamaran was the biggest plus about this trip!

Please don't skip either place. I understand the need to budget on a port intensive cruise, but these are not to be missed islands IMO. I have been to 19 ports in the Caribbean and Dominica is my #1 favorite with St Lucia being right behind it at #2. If you have any interest in eco-touring then Dominica is your place. We used Levi Barron and did an all day trip that included a breath taking (in more ways then one) hike through the rain forest to Middleham Falls. We went to many other places as well and it was the best day I have ever had on a cruise excursion.

St Lucia is just flat out gorgeous. We haired a private driver through Fabian Tours. I could see that getting expensive for a family of four, but find some way to see the island. There are many beautiful sights, open vistas, quaint fishing towns and of course the mystical Pitons. Such a beautiful island. If you want to see my pictures and excursion details then look in my signature. There is a link to my Victory review. Of nine cruises it is still my favorite.

Well to counter the St. Lucian's here lol, as a 15 month resident of Dominica, I would highly suggest you do not skip the experience here. Roseau is no truly built up metropolis but even walking around the area can be rewarding with a lot of history there, including botanical gardens and such. However, Dominica is the "Nature Isle" of the Caribbean, the least touched by man at this point, and to venture inland to experience the waterfalls, 365 rivers, the rain forest, the hot springs, and the mountain lakes will take you into some of the most beautiful scenery the area has to offer. If inland doesn't sound like the best option, Dominica is consistently rated as one of the top SCUBA locations in the Caribbean and the world and along with that experience is some of the best snorkeling to be had. The island also features the highest volcano density for the size of the land mass (7 I believe in such a small area) of anywhere in the world and as such, we feature many black sand beaches as well, like you'd find in Hawaii or such. :D:D:D

Thanks to everyone for replying so far. Of course, you haven't made my decision any easier! It sounds like I may just have to forget about sending my boys to college and spend it all on this cruise instead, LOL. :D

I loved both islands. I did the Cosol tour and it was fabulous. We were able to get out of the air conditioned van many times. We stopped for a swim at a beach as well. But if you are thinking of just walking around on your own - I would choose St. Lucia.

Dominica is not commercialized - if you are getting off the island you need to do some excursion. We did the Bumpiing tour and it was great. At one point the van drove by the 'snake charmer' and if you wanted you could have held the thing-NOT ME.

As for the tubing, it depends on the water levels. We were there in May of 2008, and when driving past the tubing once in awhile, we noticed, that many times, the riders, were walking with their tubes because there simply wasn't enough water for them to ride.

Last year on Dominica, my daughter and I grabbed a taxi at the pier in Dominica and did a very inexpensive, yet great, tour. I think it was $15 pp and we went to falls and the botanical gardens and so forth. It took a few hours and was a nice way to see the island without breaking the bank. This year, we are going with Woody in Dominica to his "Off the Beaten Path" excursion to get to see some more remote places that the other tours don't go to. But, I did feel that just grabbing a taxi (and negotiating the taxi fare is not a problem, so don't take the first price they offer) worked out well and we really did get to see alot of Dominica, which is beautiful!

We paid for a private tour with Frank last year in St. Lucia to see some of the sites and then go to Jalousie Beach and we are using him again this year and going ziplining and then to Jalousie. As others have said, St. Lucia is BEAUTIFUL and so make sure you get out to see it.

So, my advice: don't skip either island! I have 2 kids in college right now too, and in the grand scheme of things, the price for one day on an island wont make or break you. Some how, the tuition always gets paid, so go for it and enjoy! You wont regret it! :)

We sailed the Victory and agree with Tiggerman that you should try not to skip either one. We did the river tubing with Antours and the Cosol tour. If you have to choose one, then go with the river tubing. We did this with teen girls and loved it. Have a great trip1

VAtechmom,

When are you cruising this year? Do you mind telling me how much is Frank charging you for the zipline/Jalousie Beach excursion? Thanks.

We are going on 5/23. He is charging 85pp for the zipline and then 40pp for the rest of the day to take us to/from Jalousie. Since we used him last year, he is giving us the 40pp "discount" price. I believe he normally charges 55pp, but I am not exactly sure. He is even including lunch and drinks for the day in that 40 pp. He is a wonderful person and very willing to work with you, so I am sure he can arrange a day for you and your family if you are interested.

For what it's worth, I have never been to Dominica, but I have been to St. Lucia. In my opinion, St. Lucia is the most beautiful place in the Caribbean. Anything you choose to do there, if you get to see the countryside, is priceless. Don't miss seeing this gorgeous island!! You won't be sorry!!!!

Well, if you go to Dominica, you may very well have a new favorite!

The very best excursion ever (it was not an excursion a ship offers) was a hike from Titou Gorge, up through the Valley of Desolation, and all the way to the Boiling Lake and back. Incredible!

Dominica is absolutely beautiful, but you have to get out of the port city to really see it.

I second those who suggested not to skip either island. These were the two most natural islands on the Victory itinerary. They are both stunning.

The tubing experience depends on the water level. I don't know if it's been raining much lately. If not, it's not going to be as much fun. This was true with our cruise in early March.

To cut down costs, I would suggest skipping an excursion in Barbados, St. Kitts or St. Maarten. I think on these three islands you are OK just lying on the beach and won't be missing much. My opinion only, of course.

If your boys like adventure and want to do something a bit different from beachin' it I would recommend Extreme Dominica's Canyoning. My mom and I did it on our February cruise and it was amazing. It was a nice break from the sun and we got a chance to see a completely different side of the island. Richard (the owner of Cocoa Cottages) is the only person who runs a canyoning outfit in Dominica- we went in a group of 6, all mothers and daughters ranging in age from 12 to 55. It is a physically intense activity, but one you (and your boys) will be sure to remember for a lifetime! http://www.cocoacottages.com/extremedominica.cfm

We also did a tour with a taxi driver we hired on the dock. I think around $20 a person.

We drove around the island and to the falls. The driver then dropped us off at

Champagne Reef. Beautiful place. I can give you his name if you are interested.

well we just went on this trip too and I have to tell you that Levi Baron Bumping Tours in Dominica will leave you speechless, also Levi knows everyones names within an hour and addresses each person directly for the entire day giving individual attention to each guest along the way. We will absolutely only use Levi when we go back to Dominica.

St Lucia on the other hand Cosol tours. We were not impressed with the rush rush rush business money maker structure of this trip and six hours in the van with a few minutes out at a time with the condition of the roads leaves many very wishy washy. Just my opinion but I will say folks we cruised with went with Spencer Ambrose and had a wonderful time

Good luck enjoy

We also just went on the Victory and absolutely loved both islands. Like a few have already stated..... if you are going to miss islands don't let it be these two.... they are incredible. St Lucia has some things you can walk around a little more but you can fill a partial day wandering in Dominica also. Try some how to at least do a tour (even for a few hours) on each of these islands you will not regret it. My kids went with us (17 and 19) and they were not bored. in fact if you look at the link to my review in my signature a lot of the pictures that I post are theirs. We went with Antours in Dominica and Spencer Ambrose in St Lucia both were wonderful. Enjoy your trip either way. :D

check out the destinations boards...lots of advise...some stuff I saved, since we are going August 1

DOMINICA

NOT A BEACH ISLAND!!

St. Lucia

If you do decide to hire your own cab (negotiate carefully) I suggest the following stops: Anse La Raye, Canaries, viewpoints in between, the drive in volcano, the botanical gardens, the viewpoint of the Pitons, and Soufriere.

St. Lucia-the aerial tram through the rainforest

COSOL tour

Shoretrips.com (zip lines)

I've visited both islands, and my recommendation, as many have already said, is SEE BOTH!

Cosol does a great tour on St. Lucia-tho I've never been to Tahiti, that's what I think of when I see tho twin peaks jutting up out of the ocean.

On Dominica, I toured with Woody-Off The Beaten Path Tours-he does a great tour, and can personalize it to go where you want. I got to see the other side of the island where "Pirates of The Caribbean" was filmed. Very beautiful.

Happy cruising!:cool:

I would say don't skip either... I went on a cruise with 7 stops, and Dominica was my favorite place with St. Lucia close behind. Dominica is not going to be enjoyed if you stay near the ship.... there are so many beautiful rainforests and waterfalls on this island, and Titou Gorge was our absolute favorite stop on the cruise. St. Lucia is beautiful and the most diverse, with nice beaches, nice rainforests and great snorkeling. Cosol's tour is great, but it is a lot of time on a bus... I would skip the volcano... it just smells like sulphur (rotten eggs). Enjoy your trip!

Thanks!

Cosol's tour was fabulous - and you will not be "Stuck in a van" for hours. There were many stops where you got out to check out the sites and walk around including a "drive thru volcano". I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Archived