Helicopter Glacier Tour in Skagway

Kissyfur19

Has anyone here every done the helicopter tour from Skagway? We are looking into doing so since we really want to do the whale watching in Juneau. Wanted to see what others thought of this tour.

I notice there are two options....one for just the Glacier and the other one goes to a dog mushing camp (on a glacier...I think?) and you get to do a sled ride.

I'd be interested in comments about either tour....

I've done the heli/glacier landing a decade ago out of Juneau, a great experience. I am booked for dogsledding combo out of Juneau this time. In talking with the folks at Temsco the difference between their Skagway and Juneau is simply different glacier. Do NOTE that the dog sled is NOT glacier landing but higher up on the snowy part as the dogs can only run there. It being higher also means possibly more cancellations due to fog.

Good luck

Has anyone here every done the helicopter tour from Skagway? We are looking into doing so since we really want to do the whale watching in Juneau. Wanted to see what others thought of this tour.

I notice there are two options....one for just the Glacier and the other one goes to a dog mushing camp (on a glacier...I think?) and you get to do a sled ride.

I'd be interested in comments about either tour....

Do NOTE that the dog sled is NOT glacier landing but higher up on the snowy part as the dogs can only run there. It being higher also means possibly more cancellations due to fog.

Good luck

The cancelations are not due to Higher??? "fog", they are due to it being a FIXED location. The "fog" is going to cancel any flightseeing, if it impacts the areas. With a regular glacier landing tour, there are multiple landing areas that can be considered, so flights may still go. With a glacier dog sledding, there is only ONE location.

I have flown out of both Skagway and Juneau. Both offer fantastic flightseeing. Book where the time fits best. :)

Always consider having back up plans for any flightseeing. Cancelations do happen, with glacier dog sledding having the highest cancelations of Alaska tours.

Archived