Cruise Begins in Rome and Ends in Venice

AJs Grandpa

Just booked 2011 cruise starting from Rome and ending in Venice. We do not want to book air travel via the cruise line. Instead, we (four adults) plan to get RT tickets to/from Rome. We'll spend a couple of days in Rome before sailing. We think we can get from Venice to Rome via train and, if necessary, spend another night in Rome prior to leaving for US for a similr price (if not better) as the difference between RT tickets to Rome and "open jaw" returning from Venice. Also, we like European train travel and would consider it part of the vacation experience. Preliminary research also reveals simpler flight connections by avoiding the Venice airport.Here are my questions:1. Has anyone used the same strategy for similar cruise itinerary? Results?2. How does one get from Venice cruise terminal to train station? Is it reasonably walkable for four fit adults? If not, approximate taxi cost?I welcome any thoughts.

How does one get from Venice cruise terminal to train station? Is it reasonably walkable for four fit adults? If not, approximate taxi cost?

By 2011 the new People Mover station at the cruise terminal will be open, so that will be the most cost efficient means. The People Mover will take you to Piazzale Roma, from there you simply cross the canal via the pedestrian bridge and you're at Venice Santa Lucia train station.

You could take a cab, but it will also only take you as far as Piazzale Roma, you would still have to walk across the bridge.

By 2011 the new People Mover station at the cruise terminal will be open, so that will be the most cost efficient means. The People Mover will take you to Piazzale Roma, from there you simply cross the canal via the pedestrian bridge and you're at Venice Santa Lucia train station.

Thanks Euro Cruiser--sounds good. Just curious--is the People Mover a moving sidewalk, tram, other?

Just in case the people mover is NOT yet servicing the cruise terminal (this is Italy and schedules are subject to, er, um, change), you might consider taking a taxi from the cruse port to the Venice Mestre train station. That way, you will not to schlep your bags from P. Roma to the "real" Venice train station.

It is often cheaper to buy a ticket from your home to Rome, then leave Venice to go home. At least I know it was from Orlando to Rome and then Venice to Orlando. So be sure to check fares using the "multi-city" option.

It is often cheaper to buy a ticket from your home to Rome, then leave Venice to go home. At least I know it was from Orlando to Rome and then Venice to Orlando. So be sure to check fares using the "multi-city" option.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I've thought of the multi-city booking. Of course, we can't book for a few months, but what I see now doesn't look promising. Fares for this year are higher than RT to Rome--not necessairly high enough to offset the cost of getting back to Rome--but the connections look tough. We can get from Dallas to Rome and back with two legs each way and reasonable connections. Expedia is showing me as many as four legs and long layovers from Venice to Dallas. Again, we'll see what things look like when we can book.

You might try searching using the software at www.itasoftware.com, where you can limit the number of segments you'll accept.

For example, I just tried a search for September of this year. It came back with DFW - ORD - FCO outbound (one stop in Chicago) and VCE - CDG - DFW return (one stop in Paris), all on American Airlines except the Venice to Paris segment, which was on Alitalia. The fare is $873.80.

You might try searching using the software at www.itasoftware.com, where you can limit the number of segments you'll accept.

For example, I just tried a search for September of this year. It came back with DFW - ORD - FCO outbound (one stop in Chicago) and VCE - CDG - DFW return (one stop in Paris), all on American Airlines except the Venice to Paris segment, which was on Alitalia. The fare is $873.80.

I was searching when you were and noticed similar results. I never heard of that tool--many thanks for introducing me to it. I'll keep the link handy.

Instead, we (four adults) plan to get RT tickets to/from Rome. We'll spend a couple of days in Rome before sailing. We think we can get from Venice to Rome via train and, if necessary, spend another night in Rome prior to leaving for US for a similr price (if not better) as the difference between RT tickets to Rome and "open jaw" returning from Venice. Also, we like European train travel and would consider it part of the vacation experience.

We did this recently.... in reverse....flew to Rome, spend a few days in Rome.....took the train to Venice.....departed on Royal Princess and sailed to Rome and flew home from Rome. Train travel is a great experience and we would recommend it. Keep in mind it is a distance from Rome to the airport and you can take the Michaelangelo Express from the main train station to the airport. Travel with minimum luggage if you take trains.

Keep in mind it is a distance from Rome to the airport and you can take the Michaelangelo Express from the main train station to the airport. Travel with minimum luggage if you take trains.

Just FYI, you picked the wrong "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle" -- it's the Leonardo Express, not the Michelangelo Express. ;):D

Just FYI, you picked the wrong "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle" -- it's the Leonardo Express, not the Michelangelo Express. ;):D

oooops....I knew it was one of those guys....thanks for the correction...:D

FWIW I actully got cheaper fares booking into Barcelona and out of Venice last year than RT. So be sure to check it out. The added cost of traveling back to Rome may not be worth it in the long run, and schlepping luggage on and off the train, especially cruise-type luggage, will be an added hassle. Now, if you want to do it for the adventure, that's another story. But be sure to include all the costs besides just the train fare--getting actually to the airport in Rome (11 euros pp for Leonardo), additional night hotel stay, etc.

Cathy

FWIW I actully got cheaper fares booking into Barcelona and out of Venice last year than RT. So be sure to check it out. The added cost of traveling back to Rome may not be worth it in the long run, and schlepping luggage on and off the train, especially cruise-type luggage, will be an added hassle. Now, if you want to do it for the adventure, that's another story. But be sure to include all the costs besides just the train fare--getting actually to the airport in Rome (11 euros pp for Leonardo), additional night hotel stay, etc.

Cathy

Cathy--

I appreciate your input...all great points.

I have looked at added transport costs to Rome then to the Rome airport along with the possible need to spend another night in Rome before departing for the US. (I'm not cheap, but I am a "recovering analytic.":)) Also took the "schlepping" factor into account. Looked like it would still be worth it until I went to the site Euro traveler cited above. I'm certainly re-thinking the issue and am eager for airlines to publish fares for next May/June.

Thanks

You're welcome! We had a leased car in Italy earlier this year, staying in Tuscany, and I thought we should drive to Rome and park the car in long-term at the airport. Since we were already paying for the car, no reason to pay for the train, right? Then I found a train fare of only 14.50 euros/pp--WAY cheaper than we could have driven, paid tolls and gas, and the parking charge! Of course then I had to add back in taxi to and from the train station (25 euros each way) so it wasn't as great a deal, but when we arrived in Rome we were 3 blocks from our hotel, walkable with backpacks. . .see, I am an analytical one too! DH thinks I'm crazy!

Happy planning-always a big part of the trip for me!

Cathy

We recently booked our airfare for our cruise, Venice to Rome. It was about $200 more to fly into Venice and home out of Rome. That is with just one stop coming and going from the States. For us the extra $ are worth it for not having to spend extra time and money shuffling back and forth and potentially an extra night in a hotel. Also we do not have the luxury of unlimited time on vacation as we both still run our own businesses, but some day...

• 2 weeks later...

We just purchased airline tickets from Philadelphia to Rome, then return from Venice to Philadelphia on US Airways both flights are nonstop and were not any more expensive than round trip Philadelphia to Rome. I like flying European Airlines since the service and amenities are so much better than our US airlines but they were about $400 more expensive per ticket and I would either have to travel to JFK or Newark or do a one stop change planes deal. So I hemmed and hawed and finally brought the 4 US airways tickets. Philadelphia is a lot easier to go out of than JFK.

Just booked 2011 cruise starting from Rome and ending in Venice. We do not want to book air travel via the cruise line. Instead, we (four adults) plan to get RT tickets to/from Rome. We'll spend a couple of days in Rome before sailing. We think we can get from Venice to Rome via train and, if necessary, spend another night in Rome prior to leaving for US for a similr price (if not better) as the difference between RT tickets to Rome and "open jaw" returning from Venice. Also, we like European train travel and would consider it part of the vacation experience. Preliminary research also reveals simpler flight connections by avoiding the Venice airport.Here are my questions:1. Has anyone used the same strategy for similar cruise itinerary? Results?2. How does one get from Venice cruise terminal to train station? Is it reasonably walkable for four fit adults? If not, approximate taxi cost?I welcome any thoughts.

Have you tried booking your return out of Milan Airport? The train from Venice to Milan is approximately 2 hours and not a bad ride.

I am also starting in Rome ending in Venice. I have return flights from Rome FCO and am planning to fly easy jet for 20 euro pp. plus 11euro for checked baggage. It will arrive at FCO 4 hours prior to our flight home thus we have more time in Venice than if travelling back by train.

Archived