Drydock?

Partyatsea

There is no real schedule posted anywhere. Most of the scheduled dry docks are discovered from word of mouth and/or a little detective work.

PE

Thats cause NCL pretty much waits until something mechanical goes wrong with there ships to drydock them. Yup, i said it, flame away!

Every other cruise line you can get a schedule just by CS.

Unless the ship is really tattered and torn, they will not drydock them any earlier than the U.S coast guard requires which is twice in a 5 year time span.

Thats cause NCL pretty much waits until something mechanical goes wrong with there ships to drydock them. Yup, i said it, flame away!

Every other cruise line you can get a schedule just by CS.

Unless the ship is really tattered and torn, they will not drydock them any earlier than the U.S coast guard requires which is twice in a 5 year time span.

No flames. But, absolutely untrue!!

The Dawn is scheduled for November of 2011. The Sun is scheduled for October of this year.

Or do you know of a mechanical problem that is coming up for these two ships around those times??

PE

No flames. But' date=' absolutely untrue!![/color']

The Dawn is scheduled for November of 2011. The Sun is scheduled for October of this year.

Or do you know of a mechanical problem that is coming up for these two ships around those times??

PE

The Sun is NOT scheduled for October of this year. It was originally scheduled for 9/20-10/04 of this year but there has been a cruise scheduled during those dates since at least January. I know because January is when I booked that cruise. I am one of many people booked on that cruise. In fact it is almost sold out. We have an extremely active roll call.

That cruise is followed by a 10/04-10/16 transatlantic cruise, followed by a 10/16 Western Caribbean cruise, followed by 10/23 Eastern Caribbean cruise, followed by 10/30 Western Caribbean cruise. etc etc There are active Roll Calls for each of those dates, so there are definitely cruises during October -- and November and December.

The Sun will now most likely have its drydock sometime in 2011, but not known what exact dates.

I'll flame you M. LOL :p You stirring up trouble over here now? I haven't seen you on these boards in quite a while! What have you been up to these days? Want to go cause some trouble in May on the Spirit??? :)

Now as for NCL's drydock schedule... I seriously doubt they wait until something goes wrong for them to drydock a ship. They do regular maintenance as required. They're just not very public about it is all. :p

The Sun is NOT scheduled for October of this year. It was originally scheduled for 9/20-10/04 of this year but there has been a cruise scheduled during those dates since at least January. I know because January is when I booked that cruise. I am one of many people booked on that cruise. In fact it is almost sold out. We have an extremely active roll call.

That cruise is followed by a 10/04-10/16 transatlantic cruise, followed by a 10/16 Western Caribbean cruise, followed by 10/23 Eastern Caribbean cruise, followed by 10/30 Western Caribbean cruise. etc etc There are active Roll Calls for each of those dates, so there are definitely cruises during October -- and November and December.

The Sun will now most likely have its drydock sometime in 2011, but not known what exact dates.

There does now seem to be a 12 day gap in August from the 15th to the 27th. Maybe they moved the dry dock to this time frame?

PE

I talked to a Norwegian Line representative on the telephone a couple months ago and asked specifically about plans to dry-dock and refurbish the Sun. Her answer: There are no plans.

It looks like there were plans, but these were evidently cancelled.

When the ships are running good sometimes they delay an upcoming drydock. On the other hand if the ships are having engine problems, sometimes they enter drydock early. Yes, they do plan ahead somewhat, but plans can be changed at the last minute.

Frankly speaking, NCL and other cruise lines would rather spend several million sprucing up a ship than spend a half billion or more to buy a new ship.

Some smaller cruise lines have never bought a new ship, preferring to spruce up older ships. Time and time again we have seen new or fairly new ships having problems with their engines. New things can break just as easily as old things.

The Sun is NOT scheduled for October of this year.

That cruise is followed by a 10/04-10/16 transatlantic cruise, followed by a 10/16 Western Caribbean cruise, followed by 10/23 Eastern Caribbean cruise, followed by 10/30 Western Caribbean cruise. etc etc There are active Roll Calls for each of those dates.

The Sun has NO scheduled sailing from October 30, 2010 to November 6, 2010 and I can not find any Roll Calls for these dates either. This must be the time they will drydock.

I am wondering if the Pearl might be going in dry dock anytime in the next year or so?!

The only dates that the Pearl has no scheduled sailings between now and April 8, 2012 is between October 8 and October 10, 2010 and between November 14 and November 16, 2011.

I don't know if this is enough time for them to put it in drydock or not.

Did the Star have engine problems before its most recent dry dock that I was unaware of?

I don't know if the Star had any engine problems but they used the time in drydock to convert the famous Spinnaker Lounge into suites. The Spinnaker was the best place to whale watch and sightsee while traveling through Alaska with it's great views but the new Spinnaker lounge is a windowless room. :( I guess next time I go to Alaska I will go on the Pearl unless they convert it also.

I heard they had originally been planning on using it for rooms during the Vancouver Olympics but that there was not enough demand to do so.

I don't know if the Star had any engine problems but they used the time in drydock to convert the famous Spinnaker Lounge into suites. The Spinnaker was the best place to whale watch and sightsee while traveling through Alaska with it's great views but the new Spinnaker lounge is a windowless room. :( I guess next time I go to Alaska I will go on the Pearl unless they convert it also.

I heard they had originally been planning on using it for rooms during the Vancouver Olympics but that there was not enough demand to do so.

I personally think it is horrible they did that to Spinnaker... We enjoyed a few shows there.. much more than we did in the theater, for some reason.. I am glad they moved Blue Lagoon and the shops. I thought the shops they way they were set up, or rather it was set up, was boring.. liked the set up of them much better on the Sun and the Pearl. And Blue Lagoon was good for people watching, but I was always uncomfortable sitting at their tables there. Can't wait to May to see what other changes were made.

The Sun has NO scheduled sailing from October 30, 2010 to November 6, 2010 and I can not find any Roll Calls for these dates either. This must be the time they will drydock.

It has a charter by the Women of Olivia (or some such name) during those dates. There had been a Roll Call started but then those people were cancelled from the cruise because of the charter. I think if you look at some of the back pages of the Roll Call you might find the old thread and all the discussion as they found out about the charter.

You mean it's possible for some group to come in and book a whole ship and cancel the reservations of everyone who is already booked on it??????

That's horrible! NCL should never allow this!

Yes, plus every cruise line has done so in the past. What is the old saying, a bird in hand is better than two birds in the bush. If some party wants to book the entire ship, basically charter a ship, cruise lines won't say no.... The cruise lines feel they can book you again on another ship with incentives....

Simply put, with cruise lines booking cabins up to two years in advance or more, many groups are thinking in terms of six months to one year in advance. So the early bookers can see a cancellation with incentives to book another cruise on another ship or at a later/earlier date with the same ship.

In my small rural town its not uncommon for the chamber of commerce to book an entire restaurant at any time leaving regulars to dine elsewhere.

It has a charter by the Women of Olivia (or some such name) during those dates. There had been a Roll Call started but then those people were cancelled from the cruise because of the charter. I think if you look at some of the back pages of the Roll Call you might find the old thread and all the discussion as they found out about the charter.

Olivia cruises are lesbian all-women cruises. It appears they have chartered the Sun for October 30 - November 6.

--Michael

I just got an email from Pedro Serra (CD) and he said the plans for the Sun are possibly in February of 2011.

PE

Yay! That means it will only be 4 months out of drydock when I do the Baltics cruise next June!

--Michael

Archived