Drydock?

Partyatsea

You mean it's possible for some group to come in and book a whole ship and cancel the reservations of everyone who is already booked on it?
It's a commercial necessity today, when individual passengers are clamouring to book cruises up to two years ahead. Charterers cannot viably firm up their plans until much closer to the time, so inevitably a number of passengers often have to be bumped when the charterparty is signed.

I don't know about the comment about husbands are like pancakes you have to throw the first one out. That's only true for those who don't know how to make pancakes. If you go at it without caution you might have too, but my first pancake turned out just right.

You mean it's possible for some group to come in and book a whole ship and cancel the reservations of everyone who is already booked on it??????

Is this where the 'upsell' fairy comes in? I was thinking this the other day, my parents were given a great rate because some "incentive cruise" for a company wasn't able to fill all the cabins they had set aside. They got some really fancy balcony stateroom for not much over what they would have paid for an ocean view.

I book cheap non-refundable flights to cruise ports. If they canceled my cruise I would have 2 worthless roundtrip tickets to a city I don't want to visit. Would the cruise line do anything about my lost air fare? (not booked through the cruise line)

I just got an email from Pedro Serra (CD) and he said the plans for the Sun are possibly in February of 2011.

This is kind of a bummer. We had booked an AC suite on the Sun for January 2012 with the understanding (actually just reading on CC) that it would be freshly spruced up.

It won't get us down though.

I book cheap non-refundable flights to cruise ports. If they canceled my cruise I would have 2 worthless roundtrip tickets to a city I don't want to visit. Would the cruise line do anything about my lost air fare? (not booked through the cruise line)

I think not. This might be covered by travel insurance, though. Anyone else want to weigh in? I've purchased travel insurance before, but never had to take advantage of it.

--Michael

Would the cruise line do anything about my lost air fare? (not booked through the cruise line)
I don't know if it's universal, but I have seen occasions when cruise lines have publicly stated that they would reimburse any money lost on air fares in addition to the refund/compensation for the cruise itself. So it can happen.

Personally, I would think it only fair for the cruise line to do that.

No flames. But' date=' absolutely untrue!!

The Dawn is scheduled for November of 2011. The Sun is scheduled for October of this year.

Or do you know of a mechanical problem that is coming up for these two ships around those times??

PE[/color']

No flames back by any means, but, just reading through this thread you can see that NCL has so much misinformation out there its borderline asinine.

Be sure you all book cruise insurance is the best advice i can give. This will be my last cruise with NCL on the 7th of May, im gonna have a great time there is no doubt about it. Just can't trust a company that is so deep in its financial woes with no realistically viable way of getting itself out.

No flames back by any means, but, just reading through this thread you can see that NCL has so much misinformation out there its borderline asinine.

Be sure you all book cruise insurance is the best advice i can give. This will be my last cruise with NCL on the 7th of May, im gonna have a great time there is no doubt about it. Just can't trust a company that is so deep in its financial woes with no realistically viable way of getting itself out.

Financial woes??? Explain yourself, please. I read a lot about NCL and am not aware it has any financial woes any worse than any other cruise line in this economy.

Financial woes??? Explain yourself, please. I read a lot about NCL and am not aware it has any financial woes any worse than any other cruise line in this economy.

Well to start off, for years, they were losing millions of dollars on the whole NCL America deal in Hawaii, other lines have tried it, and of course failed. NCL had 3 ships there at 1 point, they now have 1.

There most recent drydock for one of there ships the Norwegian Star was cancelled and instead they are going to continue running there weekly Mexican Riviera cruises while doing the drydock work. Im not just talking replacing carpets and so fourth, im talking they are physically moving lounges and public spaces and while there are paying passengers onboard. Not to mention they are adding cabins (gee, more income, whats that tell ya?.....)

They are experimenting with a new menu on one of there ships for the free dining rooms, the new menu consisting of, well, it's the same menu, it never changes, same 5 entrees and not sure the count, but same starters, salads and desserts as well.

They also as of April 1st raised the majority of there fares, and for what you ask?......No reason, they just need the money.

Not trying to be fresh,but, now that there fares are on par with other lines, which, most of the time ive found they actually are, certain sailings are cheaper, but the same goes vice-versa. They have never really been any cheaper as a whole than the other large lines, they've been right on par with them.

They simply cannot compete because there costs per passenger are higher than the other lines. While the other lines are spending $10 per day per passenger for food, they are spending $8 per day, giving you a substandard product in comparison. but of course you can go to one of the upcharge places......OOOooohhh!

All i am saying is all the signs are there, choose to believe them, choose not too, were all different. i personally am choosing not too and am just trying to gove everyone a heads up of what i forsee (i normally play devils advocate) so they can make an honest decisiion on what to spend there hard earned cash on.

As i said, they are the lowest man on the totem pole and won't be around for long, so buy your insurance people.......

Happy Cruising!

Well to start off, for years, they were losing millions of dollars on the whole NCL America deal in Hawaii, other lines have tried it, and of course failed. NCL had 3 ships there at 1 point, they now have 1.

Yes, this was monumental failure. But, NCLA was setup as separate business entity. Also, other lines have NOT tried it and failed. Yes, other lines have sailed around Hawaii but not as American flagged vessels

There most recent drydock for one of there ships the Norwegian Star was cancelled and instead they are going to continue running there weekly Mexican Riviera cruises while doing the drydock work. Im not just talking replacing carpets and so fourth, im talking they are physically moving lounges and public spaces and while there are paying passengers onboard. Not to mention they are adding cabins (gee, more income, whats that tell ya?.....)

Yes, a scheduled dry dock was canceled because it went into dry dock early because of the "Olympics" cancellation. The only thing being done "on the fly" is the building of the new staterooms in the space of the old Spinaker. Everything esle was done in the "rescheduled" dry dock.

"gee, more income,whats that tell ya?" Um, maybe that they are in business to make money.

They are experimenting with a new menu on one of there ships for the free dining rooms, the new menu consisting of, well, it's the same menu, it never changes, same 5 entrees and not sure the count, but same starters, salads and desserts as well.

I have no idea what this has to do with NCL financial viability. But, these new menus are being experimented with to create more consistent quality across the fleet.

You also forgot to mention that each and every evening there is a separate menu with different selections to go along with the fixed menu.

They also as of April 1st raised the majority of there fares, and for what you ask?......No reason, they just need the money.

Prices were raised because of increased demand. Economics 101!!

Not trying to be fresh,but, now that there fares are on par with other lines, which, most of the time ive found they actually are, certain sailings are cheaper, but the same goes vice-versa. They have never really been any cheaper as a whole than the other large lines, they've been right on par with them.

Please re-read your own musings here. You will find that you contradict yourself.

They simply cannot compete because there costs per passenger are higher than the other lines. While the other lines are spending $10 per day per passenger for food, they are spending $8 per day, giving you a substandard product in comparison. but of course you can go to one of the upcharge places......OOOooohhh!

And where exactly did you come across these numbers? They seem to be competing quite nicely even in these screwed up economic times.

All i am saying is all the signs are there, choose to believe them, choose not too, were all different. i personally am choosing not too and am just trying to gove everyone a heads up of what i forsee (i normally play devils advocate) so they can make an honest decisiion on what to spend there hard earned cash on.

No, you are just trying get in as many parting shots as you can. You became disenchanted with NCL and feel the need to trash them at every turn.

As i said, they are the lowest man on the totem pole and won't be around for long, so buy your insurance people.......

I personally believe it is foolish not to buy travel insurance no matter who you are cruising with.

Happy Cruising!

I hope you enjoy your new choice of cruise line as much as you used to enjoy NCL.

PE

Did the Star have engine problems before its most recent dry dock that I was unaware of?

Yes the Star was having engine problems Dec and Jan. It did not significantly effect its itineraries but one engine was not running properly and one port was shortened by an hour on our cruise.

I hope you enjoy your new choice of cruise line as much as you used to enjoy NCL.

PE

Oh, and i will, in response to a few of your retorts to my statements.

Lets see, American Hawaii Cruises, they were an all American cruise line based in Hawaii. There 2 ships the Independence and Constitution went to the breakers a few years back. might wanna do a little research before trying to state a fact.

The new menu's, c'mon now. As i said to the poster in my previous post, "common sense" is the key here. Less choices = less ingridients = less food cost. not that hard to understand now was it?....And the alternate menu, every line has that, so thats pretty much irrelevent in this context.

Economis 101.....HA.....Why don't we try, i got a beautiful bridge to sell ya in London, interested. Maybe you shoulld take an actual course in economics and you might pick up on what the actual meaning of it is. Again, common sense.

Those food cost #'s were just examples, don't know the actual figures now-a-days, but it is FACT that NCL spends less $ per passenger per day on food. The food is just plain sub-par. This was actually in the Wall Street Journal a couple years back, yes, i realize i said a couple years back, but until you can show me otherwise it still remains a fact hnow doesn't it?...

I will enjoy my last cruise with NCL (with the exception of the gross gelatenous desserts tat are all the same just different shapes and flavors). And hope you all enjoy yours as well.

To all the cheerleaders though (c'mon, you guys know who you are now, don't be shy), just, simply put, grow up a bit, its only a cruise line, its not a family member, you dont need to throw a battle when someone rains on them.....Geez....

Happy Cruising!

Lets see, American Hawaii Cruises, they were an all American cruise line based in Hawaii. There 2 ships the Independence and Constitution went to the breakers a few years back. might wanna do a little research before trying to state a fact.

Ok, I will give you that one, although that is pretty much ancient history. Why don't we list all of the cruise lines that have failed over the years that did not have a presence in Hawaii to show real context. Did any of the other "present day" cruise lines even attempt to have a major presence in Hawaii?

The new menu's, c'mon now. As i said to the poster in my previous post, "common sense" is the key here. Less choices = less ingridients = less food cost. not that hard to understand now was it?....And the alternate menu, every line has that, so thats pretty much irrelevent in this context.

Less choice? 5 entrees on the fixed menu and 3 entrees on the option menu each night leaves 8 choices each night. Have you actually tried the "experimental" menus that were being tested on the Dawn? Probably not. Just a typical basher that "heard" about something and does not like it. I have tried the menu and liked them very much to the point that our 13 day cruise we visited the specialty restaurants less than we normally do on a 7 day cruise.

What "every" lines has an alternate menu? Yes, other lines have alternate options on their menus but they are the same each evening. Lets' have some common sense and compare apples and apples.

Economis 101.....HA.....Why don't we try, i got a beautiful bridge to sell ya in London, interested. Maybe you shoulld take an actual course in economics and you might pick up on what the actual meaning of it is. Again, common sense.

I have a pretty good grasp on economics thank you very much. You know that whole supply and demand is such a difficult concept to understand. Us dummies with post graduate degrees have no idea what they are talking about.

Sorry, that bridge has already been sold and is sitting in Lake Havasu City, Arizona. I don't believe it is for sale right now.

Those food cost #'s were just examples, don't know the actual figures now-a-days, but it is FACT that NCL spends less $ per passenger per day on food. The food is just plain sub-par. This was actually in the Wall Street Journal a couple years back, yes, i realize i said a couple years back, but until you can show me otherwise it still remains a fact hnow doesn't it?...

So, you admit you pulled those number out of somewhere? Where are your facts about NCL food is sub par? I believed that NCL does spend less money per passenger on food products. I also believe they have less waste because of the way food is prepared on demand with the Freestyle model. They do not have to guess how many people are going to choose each entree in mass "cattle call" feedings.

I will enjoy my last cruise with NCL (with the exception of the gross gelatenous desserts tat are all the same just different shapes and flavors). And hope you all enjoy yours as well.

I have so many analogies about opinions. Most of which might get me banned. But, you are entitled to yours and I am entitled to mine. I can't really disallow you one last parting shot. :rolleyes:

To all the cheerleaders though (c'mon, you guys know who you are now, don't be shy), just, simply put, grow up a bit, its only a cruise line, its not a family member, you dont need to throw a battle when someone rains on them.....Geez....

Not really throwing a battle. Unless you think correcting misinformation "throwing a battle"? Why is it that we are supposed to "grow up" and just accept the bashers ranting and when we say the same thing back it is attacking? Let's have some common sense here. :rolleyes:

Happy Cruising!

By not commenting on the dry dock misinformation I am assuming you admit that you were completely incorrect?

Buh bye!!!

PE

Oh, and i will, in response to a few of your retorts to my statements.

Happy Cruising!

I don't want to shock you with overload, but since you didn't know the London bridge was in Havasu, you may not know that NCL changed CEO's and are now making money. Just to bring you up to date on the news !!

Also, the price they pay for food is not important. The way it is prepared is what makes it good or bad, and I find NCL food very good. A good chef like Andreas on the Star makes the meals great !!!

Sorry about my ignorance but who is Pedro Serra (CD) and why is he(?) an expert on the schedule for dry dockings? I will be on the Sun in September 2011 and from what I've read would love to hear that she is going into dry dock before then.

Pedro Serra is the Cruise Director on board the Sun.

PE

Archived