How to get to Port. How do you?

CBTwi

We live in Florida, an easy commute to all ports and book two one way car rentals when we cruise. Port Canaveral is the easiest of all to use rental cars. Hertz, Budget, Thrifty, Avis & Enterprise, all have drop off locations and free round trip shuttles very close to the port (companies are listed in order of closeness to the port). Check the rate on two one way rentals with several companies. Thrifty usually has a drop off fee, but we never have had a drop off fee with Hertz. With 4 adults rotating driving, the savings on airfare and transportation from MCO to Port Canaveral round trip would be enough for your family to enjoy some fun tours on your cruise. If you have an extra day each way, you could even break up the drive.

Thanks so much for your reply that was what I was thinking about it as well. My dad tends to be a real penny pincher so I think when push comes to shove there will be little convincing. My SO and I were looking at rental cars last night and if we got a Yukon for the 8 days total wed need it it's only about 750 with taxes for unlimited miles. A little bit of a gas guzzler, so 400ish in gas. Doesn't seem too terrible to me. Time is definitely what we have :) The cruise leaves on a Sunday and we'd leave after my SO gets out of work so probably around midnight or so Friday (technically.. saturday eh? haha) and have all of Saturday to drive and stop when necessary.

golfajd, that is such a good point! With my first cruise I went alone last year and met someone who lived in FL, and fights were a lot cheaper for early January... and I had this gut instinct that flying so close to the day the ship left didn't leave much room for error according to snow so I paid a lot more to give myself an extra day and boy am I glad I listened to my intuition because the day I was initially going to leave there was a huge snow storm that cancelled flights for days haha. In the summer I've also had problems with overbooking and people being asked to stay behind. When you have a set time to be somewhere ohh is that not good haha

CBTwi, we have driven from Buffalo to both Miami (8 people in a 12 passenger rental Van) and to Port Canveral (in our private vehicle 3 people down 4 back home) both times all things considered gas, rental, etc we saved money because unfortunately we cruise Presidents week in February and the cost to fly out of snowy Buffalo is outrageous, and we plan on renting a van again this February for at least 8 pepople which should cut our cost from $400 plus to a little over $200 per person. If you do your research on hotels near the port you probably will be able to find one that will charge a small fee or free parking during your cruise if you stay there the night before or after you may want to google park sleep and fly, then either use the Hotel shuttle or call Coco Beach shuttle they have a website and you can check out thier prices to the port from the area hotels, although we didn't use them the prices seemed reasonable, friends of ours used them and said they were on time and very helpfull. We actually ended up parking right at the Port even though we could have parked at the hotel, just because it was easier when we were leaving because we were in kind of a hurry to head back home. We were in our vehicle headed home between 9 and 10 am. We drove straight thru both ways with gas stops every three hours top the tank off bathroom something to eat, drink, sretch and change drivers and get going. Broke the trip up nicely. If you are going to rent especially one way watch out for hidden fees, like others have said drop off fees and how many miles you get free and how much they charge per mile over the allowed amount we checked into one way rental one time and only got 4 or 5 hundred miles free. Another thing to keep in mind always get at least the next size larger car than you think you will need sometimes you can find free upgrade coupons on the internet, remember if you rent check with your insurance carrier to see if your insurance will cover the rental so you wouldn't necessarily need the rental insurance, and last but not leaset most rental agencies charge an additional fee per driver (if you tell them) that there are more than one (not sure how this affects your insurance if you happen to have an accident and additional drivers are not listed and they have an accident) sometimes they do not legally allow drivers under 25 either. As others have said all the major car rental agencies have shuttles to the rental offices if you are renting one way. Hope this helps and have a great cruise.

Thanks so much! I'm going to save this and show him to my dad. He deals with all the agreements and what nots so this will be very helpful. I guess I will look into the different rental companies and whether one way or round trip is worth it. When I was checking prices I saw a lot had "unlimited miles" but that was because I was looking at it from a round trip drive perspective. Is it possible they'd have fees on the miles if it were one way? (Therefore, when people said it's cheaper to keep it for round trip that would make a lot of sense.) The price for a round trip rental wasn't absolutely horrible. I believe I said in a previous post for a large SUV that seats 7 it was about 700-750 for an 8 day rental.

I think we had intended as only listing my Dad as the driver and have him drive for the majority of the time. Do people often do this? I know one may be SOL if an accident were to occur but looking aside from what what "could" happen. Haha

Thanks so much for your reply that was what I was thinking about it as well. My dad tends to be a real penny pincher so I think when push comes to shove there will be little convincing. My SO and I were looking at rental cars last night and if we got a Yukon for the 8 days total wed need it it's only about 750 with taxes for unlimited miles. A little bit of a gas guzzler, so 400ish in gas. Doesn't seem too terrible to me. Time is definitely what we have :) The cruise leaves on a Sunday and we'd leave after my SO gets out of work so probably around midnight or so Friday (technically.. saturday eh? haha) and have all of Saturday to drive and stop when necessary.

If you get the car for round trip, 8 days with the rates you are quoting, you might as well fly. Keep in mind you will also have $105 parking at Port Canaveral. Adding that to your estimate, you are close to $1,300 total -vs- $1,500 for your family to fly. IMHO, a couple hundred bucks difference isn't worth the hassle, and I definitely wouldn't recommend only having one driver listed on the rental, unless your personal auto policy will cover you completely.

Check the price (even including drop off fees and mileage if applicable) for two one way rentals. I'm pretty sure that is how you are going to see savings that will be worth renting a car. ;)

If you get the car for round trip, 8 days with the rates you are quoting, you might as well fly. Keep in mind you will also have $105 parking at Port Canaveral. Adding that to your estimate, you are close to $1,300 total -vs- $1,500 for your family to fly. IMHO, a couple hundred bucks difference isn't worth the hassle, and I definitely wouldn't recommend only having one driver listed on the rental, unless your personal auto policy will cover you completely.

Check the price (even including drop off fees and mileage if applicable) for two one way rentals. I'm pretty sure that is how you are going to see savings that will be worth renting a car. ;)

One way rentals from out of state just isn't feasible. The surcharge is more than the cost of the rental.

Point taken. However, if we flew we'd have to also stay the night in a hotel and think about transportation to the hotel and then to the port. For 5 people I assume wed have to get 2 hotel rooms, in Orlando.. I can't even imagine how much that would cost :-\

My family has decided that end of July/Early August we are going on a Cruise. We are going from Port Canaveral and we live in very Upstate NY. With 5 people, I keep telling my parents that we should rent a comfortable car and drive it the 20 some odd hours 1 way, rent another one on the way back and save probably well over a thousand dollars as opposed to flying. We have the time to drive, and 4 legal driving adults who could rotate shifts. I don't see how that would be too bad. Plus, spending 300 minimum round trip per person for flying, when then you'd have to find transportation from airport to coast is kind of silly.

How do you get to your port when you are going on a cruise and don't (fortunately) live close enough to just have someone drop you off or something haha

Thanks for any input!

I asked the same question under "money saving" section on CC

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1087344&highlight=

We decided to drive, and I was happy with the decision.

Have a great vacation!

We arrived a day early and found a park and cruise special at a hotel which allowed us to rest after the long trip, as well as leave our car in their lot while onboard the Star- the cost of the hotel deal was less than parking at the pier

We arrived a day early and found a park and cruise special at a hotel which allowed us to rest after the long trip, as well as leave our car in their lot while onboard the Star- the cost of the hotel deal was less than parking at the pier

was that at port canaveral? :)

Not to hijack this thread, but I agree with you. Air travel has become a huge pain in the azz. Thank GOD I live close to 5 ports. Just another benefit to being a Floridian!

I was a flight attendant from 1967 to 1987 and I never thought I would say it but I hate flying these days. Not so much the flying as going through everything they put you through at airports. It's gotten so bad that I refuse fly to Florida for my cruises. I'll be leaving out of Baltimore (an hour's drive from my home) for my cruise in September.

I always fly. How much money are you going to actually save renting cars, paying for gas, hotel room? It would have to be a significant amount of money for me to do it.

Rental SUV ( driving a small kia with 5 people won't work) will probably be about 700. My father has connections everywhere so who knows if we could get a deal. Gas will probably be about 400 total (Im estimating 15 miles per gallon). We may or may not stay the night anywhere but rather rotate drivers and have the off person sleep

I mean if anything if we get to FL late saturday night maybe we'd crash at a cheap hotel for a few hours and maybe they will have a parking deal for cruisers? I guess it depends

I personally just love the feeling of control with driving. With flying if your flight is cancelled or it just doesn't work... SOL. my SO is with family now and flying to NY to meet us to drive down. Although it would be cheaper for him to fly... we plan to have family meetings before and after the cruise... Where as if we flew, he would just fly back from Orlando too and would miss out on the family time after the cruise

So It's not even just money wise that I am leaning towards driving. I'm the second youngest in the car, not really what I say goes but I think with the money saved and possibly the control and convenience my Mother who is the toughy will suck it up and cave. :P

I think we're going to save almost a thousand dollars. If we flew into MCO we'd probably have to find a hotel near MCO (pricey) transportation there... then transportation to port in the morning. Being without transportation isn't too nice either. If we got to the hotel after flying... how would we eat dinner? Would we have to order something? walk somewhere? Taxi? (for 5?) just way too much to think about haha. I'd rather be slightly uncomfortable for a nice day of scenic driving in states I've never been to in a Yukon hahaha

My boyfriend and I have decided to take AMTRAK from NC to FL next month. We can drive it in about 12 hours but we are not good in the car together. We always end up fighting on long trips. I'm not a car person. We looked into flying but he's a bit scared but would have. It was about 178 a person. Not bad. He had always said he wanted to take a train trip so we looked into that and it's only $74 per person minus a 20% discount they offer to cruise passengers. Yes, it will take about 20 hours but we have the time so it should be fun. You should really look into the train from NY. It might be fun.

Rental SUV ( driving a small kia with 5 people won't work) will probably be about 700. My father has connections everywhere so who knows if we could get a deal. Gas will probably be about 400 total (Im estimating 15 miles per gallon). We may or may not stay the night anywhere but rather rotate drivers and have the off person sleep

I mean if anything if we get to FL late saturday night maybe we'd crash at a cheap hotel for a few hours and maybe they will have a parking deal for cruisers? I guess it depends

I personally just love the feeling of control with driving. With flying if your flight is cancelled or it just doesn't work... SOL. my SO is with family now and flying to NY to meet us to drive down. Although it would be cheaper for him to fly... we plan to have family meetings before and after the cruise... Where as if we flew, he would just fly back from Orlando too and would miss out on the family time after the cruise

So It's not even just money wise that I am leaning towards driving. I'm the second youngest in the car, not really what I say goes but I think with the money saved and possibly the control and convenience my Mother who is the toughy will suck it up and cave. :P

I think we're going to save almost a thousand dollars. If we flew into MCO we'd probably have to find a hotel near MCO (pricey) transportation there... then transportation to port in the morning. Being without transportation isn't too nice either. If we got to the hotel after flying... how would we eat dinner? Would we have to order something? walk somewhere? Taxi? (for 5?) just way too much to think about haha. I'd rather be slightly uncomfortable for a nice day of scenic driving in states I've never been to in a Yukon hahaha

It seems you have already made your mind up but are looking for ammo to change everybody elses minds.

One thing that confuses me is you say you make crash at a cheap hotel that has parking for the cruise but you say if you flew you'd have to stay at a pricey hotel?

I find it the opposite. When I fly and stay near the airport I can usually get the Summerfield Suites for about $80 but staying closer to the port is more money.

Renting a Chevy Blazer at MCO and dropping off near the port with free shuttle to the ship is about $75.

If you were driving your own vehicle I'd agree with you that might save $1000 but paying $700 for a rental vehicle and paying $400 for gas I don't see how.

Plus you're going to spend the first day of the cruise dragging big time.

Whichever way you choose I hope you have a wonderful cruise.:)

Bill

It seems you have already made your mind up but are looking for ammo to change everybody elses minds.

One thing that confuses me is you say you make crash at a cheap hotel that has parking for the cruise but you say if you flew you'd have to stay at a pricey hotel?

I find it the opposite. When I fly and stay near the airport I can usually get the Summerfield Suites for about $80 but staying closer to the port is more money.

Renting a Chevy Blazer at MCO and dropping off near the port with free shuttle to the ship is about $75.

If you were driving your own vehicle I'd agree with you that might save $1000 but paying $700 for a rental vehicle and paying $400 for gas I don't see how.

Plus you're going to spend the first day of the cruise dragging big time.

Whichever way you choose I hope you have a wonderful cruise.:)

Bill

I mean I don't think anyone is against flying. I'm sure they'd prefer to fly

As for crashing.. Everyone in my family really gets 4 hours asleep at night and is chipper all day so I don't really think theyd be stressed for sleep. SO drives overnight 16+ hours at a time so he's golden. If anything I'm the one who'd be just sleeping in the suv :P

Do hotels have any sort of rate for just crashing for a few hours if needed... shower or something?

Checking flights more. We only have a small airport near us. It's in Vermont, the other closest one would be a few hour drive, so we'd have to find someone to drive 5 people, or pay to park for the week. That is another expense I actually haven't even considered. The drive and park to get to the international airport which is the one with the cheapest available flight for the time we would need it ($332.40 round trip per person) From vermont we would have 1-2 stops and it would cost about 450. :-\

Another reason financially why I thought driving is also the better option is because we would have to get a flight basically now, so they wouldn't sell out and we can't really afford to up that much immediately where as with a rental car and gas we wouldn't have to pay until that day, giving us 4ish months to save up that money. Another reason financially I think driving would be saving

I think road trips are fun. I'm definitely a road trip person but honestly I sleep most of the time anyway. When my butt hits the seat I want to eat and then sleep HAHA. I'm terrible

Thanks for all the input guys! It has really helped me put together a pros and cons list to bring to everyone (parents are working a lot of overtime to afford this. even though we just decided we were going a few days ago .We've never had a family vacation before because my parents both work to support my brother and I and to help pay for my college so this really is a huge opportunity for us as a family and very kind of them to include my SO)

Your math doesn't add up to anything near $1000 in savings. You posted today aprox of $700 to rent a car, and $400 in gas which brings you to $1,100.00 vs $1500 in airfare. You need a hotel room either way pre-cruise and money for food either way. Finding a hotel room with restaurants nearby isn't a problem, those of us that fly to our ports do it easily every cruise.

If Mom wants to fly you need to be going with the old adage of "when Mom's happy everyones happy";) Hope you enjoy your airflight and your cruise!:)

Your math doesn't add up to anything near $1000 in savings. You posted today aprox of $700 to rent a car, and $400 in gas which brings you to $1,100.00 vs $1500 in airfare. You need a hotel room either way pre-cruise and money for food either way. Finding a hotel room with restaurants nearby isn't a problem, those of us that fly to our ports do it easily every cruise.

If Mom wants to fly you need to be going with the old adage of "when Mom's happy everyones happy";) Hope you enjoy your airflight and your cruise!:)

yeah.. but if we don't have the money for a flight now than we can't afford it haha. That was my big reason to consider driving to begin with because we dont have that $2,000 right now on top of the money we need to book the cruise right now. We only have enough money to book the cruise for everyone. Renting a car and the gas means we won't need it until then, therefore ample time for everyone to save up than enough.

Checking everything with flying... $350 if we drove the 2 hours to the international airport (somehow, with 5 people and 5 peoples luggage in a kia) paid to park it for the week. Or the well over 400 per ticket out of vermont. So basically that is still $2,000 with flights. Dad called about a rental and they said they'd give it to us for 600 for the duration we would need it for. Gas will be about 400 still. So that alone is saving a thousand. SO doesn't think we would need to stay in a hotel because we could do the drive relatively straight through. Also, flying and paying for bags. I hadn't even considered how much bags would be considering how much everyone would bring but thats another cost. Another $125 if each person only had 1 bag. Shuttle to a hotel and then Shuttle from that hotel to the port (How much could that cost? Probably not less than $100 total) Dad can possibly look into a cheaper parking option than the port but if not there's that option.

I'm kind of definitely weighing on driving because Bro and Mom like pillows to travel and if they flew they would have to lug those around for the duration of the trip cause they would so not fit into a suitcase with their crap haha. So that = Pain!!! Bringing stuff back too, airline may regulate, may not have enough rooms in the suitcase (if we limited to one due to the fees)

We could easily bring food and drink in the car and therefore not have to pay for straight meals that we would have to do if we flew and were in the area for a few meals for 5 people. Could make some sandwiches and what not. Really embrace that Roadtrip part. You can't really bring or keep drinks and sandwiches cold if flying... haha so although you pay for food either way, you can do it the cheaper way and save that money to go towards other things.

So I think that kind of rounds out about a $1,000 savings.

I was the first one to break down the cost in terms of savings per person per hour of driving. So, before I get back to that, let me just say that I love the road trip. We did a 4,000 mile trip to the Grand Canyon with the family 5 years ago and it was great. There were a few full-day drives on that one, but "full-day" might be 8-10 hours, not 20 hours, non-stop. Plus, while the main point of the destination was seeing the Grand Canyon, we also enjoyed the stops along the way, both ways (e.g., Las Vegas and Reno). What you described doesn't really sound like a road trip.

As for the savings, depending on what airfare you're using and depending on what the costs might be to get to the airport, taxis to the port etc., the savings still looks to me like it won't be more than $1,000 or $200 each. With each of you spending 40 hours driving, that still works out to $5 per hour. Maybe it's a little more; maybe it's a little less.

If the financing is really the problem (and that point isn't clear because in your first reply I think you said you'd have no problem finding $300), then you might want to consider planning for the car rental, but keeping an eye out for cheap last-minute flights.

I was the first one to break down the cost in terms of savings per person per hour of driving. So, before I get back to that, let me just say that I love the road trip. We did a 4,000 mile trip to the Grand Canyon with the family 5 years ago and it was great. There were a few full-day drives on that one, but "full-day" might be 8-10 hours, not 20 hours, non-stop. Plus, while the main point of the destination was seeing the Grand Canyon, we also enjoyed the stops along the way, both ways (e.g., Las Vegas and Reno). What you described doesn't really sound like a road trip.

As for the savings, depending on what airfare you're using and depending on what the costs might be to get to the airport, taxis to the port etc., the savings still looks to me like it won't be more than $1,000 or $200 each. With each of you spending 40 hours driving, that still works out to $5 per hour. Maybe it's a little more; maybe it's a little less.

If the financing is really the problem (and that point isn't clear because in your first reply I think you said you'd have no problem finding $300), then you might want to consider planning for the car rental, but keeping an eye out for cheap last-minute flights.

Thanks! and Yeah, I personally could find $300 but my family can't.

Cheap last minute flights for cheap are possible! Will do!

Thanks! and Yeah, I personally could find $300 but my family can't.

Cheap last minute flights for cheap are possible! Will do!

Ok, this may sound like a silly question. Do all of you have the money to put a deposit down on a cruise? Will you all have the money to fork over when final payment is due?

I only ask that because it seems that saving money is important to you. Will you be getting 2 cabins for all 5 of you or will you all stay in 1 cabin?

If you haven't looked into all of that yet, I would suggest pricing that out before deciding on a mode of transportation.

If I have to drive more than 5 hours to get anywhere, I fly.

I still don't understand all talk about rental cars. If you are trying to save money by driving vs flying, wouldn't you take your own auto?

In this case, I think it means that they can't fit everyone. Taking 2 cars would make less sense than renting one.

Yeah, the only cars we have are my 2 door Pontiac, My dads work truck that seats 2 and a little kia spectra :P None of which would fit 5 people and 5 peoples luggage haha. If any could, or if we knew someone with a big vehicle who would trust us enough to let us borrow it I'm sure we would have gone that route but as many friends as we have.... nahh hahaha

I've cruised from 18 ports, 8 of which I was able to drive. Right now with the way DW and I feel about flying, if I can't drive to a port, I won't cruise from that port. Fortunately, I am in Florida so I have quite a number of ports and ships I can sail without flying.

I usually rent a car one way, each way, when I cruise. Most rental companies do not have drop charges for Florida to Florida rentals. Generally, even if you need a taxi to get to the pier (Avis, Miami), it is cheaper than parking. Why drive my own car and put the wear and tear on it and then pay more to park than 2 one day rentals would cost? I can also understand that most people don't own cars that would accommodate cruise luggage for large groups.

You may find a $200-300 drop charge for one way rentals from/to NY. You probably are not cruising when the rental companies are offering low rates for one way rentals north. I think that may end in April or May. It doesn't hurt to check. So, you may have a $200-300 drop charge each way for one way rentals. If your dad has any affiliations--company, association group, alumni group, etc--they may have a contract with a rental company that allows one way rentals with no drop charge. Could be true for anyone in your group. Check your university, too.

Allegiant Air does have some great rates to Sanford. You just have to hope there's an airport near you they fly from. Once in Sanford, you can get the great one way Florida rental rates. Generally though, their best rates are mid week and that may not fit your work schedules.

Whether you drive your own car or a rental car for 8 days, there are at least 4 hotels in the Port Canaveral area that offer free parking and free shuttle if you stay at least one night.

When we lived in Penna, we would drive to Florida with the kids. Leave after dinner (5pm or so) and arrive in Daytona around 7am (or so). The kids would fall asleep around 8pm and it would be quiet over night. Also, less traffic, no sun glare, cooler, etc. Just have to plan your gas stops because not all stations are open over night. If 3 or 4 passengers are sleeping over night, you shouldn't consider their cost as $7.50 an hour.

If you want to factor in the cost of your time, consider the time to get to an airport, the time to spend two hours ahead of your flight time, the flight time, an hour to wait for your luggage to show up and the time to get from the airport to your destination. Add in any waiting time if you have a connecting flight and then of course, any delay time due to mechanical failures, weather etc. That could easily account for at least half the drive time.

To avoid an airport now is worth $200 per hour to me. I would drive to Nassau if I could!

My family has decided that end of July/Early August we are going on a Cruise. We are going from Port Canaveral and we live in very Upstate NY. With 5 people, I keep telling my parents that we should rent a comfortable car and drive it the 20 some odd hours 1 way, rent another one on the way back and save probably well over a thousand dollars as opposed to flying. We have the time to drive, and 4 legal driving adults who could rotate shifts. I don't see how that would be too bad. Plus, spending 300 minimum round trip per person for flying, when then you'd have to find transportation from airport to coast is kind of silly.

How do you get to your port when you are going on a cruise and don't (fortunately) live close enough to just have someone drop you off or something haha

Thanks for any input!

I fly. I can fly across the country in six hours. I'm not spending 20 hours cooped up on a car when flying would take only two hours.

By the way, who is going to sit in the middle? That poor kid is not going to be very happy.

Also, unless you intend to store some of the luggage on your lap, I suggest you rent a van. That will have the advantage of additional room.

You might also want to look into taking the train. I don't normally recommend the train, but at least you can get up and walk around, which makes it a better choice than a car.

Archived