Tips on avoiding build a bear on Carnival

SuperCoolOne

Michelle - You softie, you! Thanks for the pictures - you always do such a great job! Where do you put those bears, anyway?? I'll trade you a really ugly giant stuffed St. Bernard (which would fill your garage and which was sent anonymously to DD after birth of first child, and who keeps it on the bedroom floor in case anonymous donor visits) for one small bear. I'll also trade you 12 pairs of blue eyes for ONE pair of genuine dark brown eyes! You always come through with good information and pictures. Thanks!

Thanks so much for posting this question. I hadn't really thought about this, but I'm glad that I read it so I can be prepared and have a discussion ahead of time, or avoid the build-a-bear time slots. I have no trouble saying no to my kids, but I also don't like to put them in a situation where every other kid is doing the activity and they're left out. I just cleared out a ton of stuffed animals from our house and I'd be happy if I never see one in here again! My kids aren't really into them but they could easily get suckered into the activity and it's an expensive activity to have the silly thing just sit in a corner until the next garage sale!

Michelle - You softie, you! Thanks for the pictures - you always do such a great job! Where do you put those bears, anyway?? I'll trade you a really ugly giant stuffed St. Bernard (which would fill your garage and which was sent anonymously to DD after birth of first child, and who keeps it on the bedroom floor in case anonymous donor visits) for one small bear. I'll also trade you 12 pairs of blue eyes for ONE pair of genuine dark brown eyes! You always come through with good information and pictures. Thanks!

The girls have no place to sleep! HAHAHAHAHAHA! But they love their bears. :D

Thanks for the offer of your St. Bernard bear. :D

I'll trade you a really ugly giant stuffed St. Bernard (which would fill your garage and which was sent anonymously to DD after birth of first child, and who keeps it on the bedroom floor in case anonymous donor visits) for one small bear.
LOL - We have a giant stuffed yellow whale that middle son (then 13) won at the county fair. You know, those arcade games you can never win? Well, he won.:rolleyes:

In the six years we've been sailing Carnival I've seen a much more directed effort at selling to the kids. On our last cruise, they had Teddy Bear Workshop four times (three sea days plus the first night). The good news is that they're all scheduled during "parent-required" times so they can't do it without your permission and presence. Our youngest son always opts for water slide or golf instead. We bought him one of the autographed Funship Freddy stuffed toys (not a Teddy Bear Workshop toy) a few years ago.

I'll trade you a really ugly giant stuffed St. Bernard (which would fill your garage and which was sent anonymously to DD

We have a giant stuffed yellow whale that middle son (then 13) won at the county fair. You know, those arcade games you can never win? Well, he won.:rolleyes:

We have a giant white bear that my DH's brother sent from Korea just before DD was born - even with its bulk it's better than the gift he sent her from Hong Kong the Xmas she was three -- it is a 14" stuffed hello kitty doll that sings in a really high hello kitty voice "hello, hello, hello, hello, how are you. I am fine and I thank you and I hope you are too" six times in a row. You can press its paw for the song or everytime the cordless phone or cell phone rang it would set it off. Eleven years latter I can still hear that voice! "Darling" BIL is a bachelor (and a pilot that does international runs) -- but if he ever gets married and has kids, one of my SIL and I have our eyes on a really nice loud drum kit for his first born! :D

I think we should ALL send our collective overly-large stuffed animals to Onessa's brother-in-law when he does have kids! I'll even throw in the box of Light Brights I've saved for 25 years, and the large collection of single Barbie Doll and Strawberry Shortcake shoes! Or, the assorted pieces and parts of what used to be R2D2 and C3pio, if he has a boy. (Drumsets are a great idea, as well as a hidden tape that plays the "Little Einsteins" theme song 24/7, non-washable Crayons and oil paints.) Revenge can be sweet!

I think we should ALL send our collective overly-large stuffed animals to Onessa's brother-in-law when he does have kids! I'll even throw in the box of Light Brights I've saved for 25 years, and the large collection of single Barbie Doll and Strawberry Shortcake shoes! Or, the assorted pieces and parts of what used to be R2D2 and C3pio, if he has a boy. (Drumsets are a great idea, as well as a hidden tape that plays the "Little Einsteins" theme song 24/7, non-washable Crayons and oil paints.) Revenge can be sweet!

Aside from other overly-large stuffed animals, I can contribute a singing animated bear that DH sent me for my birthday when youngest son was about 2. It's a bear dressed in sparkly clothes with a microphone that sings "They say it's your Birthday." I thought it was adorable - my co-workers thought it was adorable - I brought it home and youngest son watched it with widened eyes and yelled "Nooooooo!" Seems he was terrified of the Birthday Bear, as we came to call it. Of course, once his older brothers figured out he was terrified of it, they terrorized him with it.:rolleyes: I think it's still locked in a closet.

Aside from other overly-large stuffed animals, I can contribute a singing animated bear that DH sent me for my birthday when youngest son was about 2. It's a bear dressed in sparkly clothes with a microphone that sings "They say it's your Birthday." I thought it was adorable - my co-workers thought it was adorable - I brought it home and youngest son watched it with widened eyes and yelled "Nooooooo!" Seems he was terrified of the Birthday Bear, as we came to call it. Of course, once his older brothers figured out he was terrified of it, they terrorized him with it.:rolleyes: I think it's still locked in a closet.

Baby Skates terrorized Doggie Dearest while skating rampantly and incessantly across tile and wood floors until the batteries wore out. Most of you - like me - will end up renting a storage unit to house all of the toys and "souvenirs" we once thought were so adorable and that our kids wouldn't part with! (Use sturdy boxes and strong tape to prevent dirt and dust).

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off the imagination yesterday and wanted to comment that the build-a-bear thing was hardly advertised. It was mentioned in the capers but was done late at night or during times when adults were required to be there with kids. Our kids were never asked to do one and never even knew about it!

• 2 months later...
Sorry, I was working all day trying to get my house back in order...lol. PRICE FOR BEARS

$33 for a bear with 3 outfits or $19.99 for a bear with just a t-shirt

IMG_0588.jpg

seeing your pics reminds me of my sons cat he built a few years ago on carnival--$30 for 3 outfits + cat + Tshirt. He carried his cat around for months & it has slept with him or on the shelf next to his bed for 2 yrs now-- great memories for him-- it was the souvenir he chose & worth the $$ for the memories. We never felt like we were pressured-- maybe he was though ;) they had the booth like michelle posted set up once-- son asked me at lunch time-- mom I dont think I want the cruise ship in the gift shop-- can I get a build a cat instead with my birthday $$.

I'm in the just say no camp--unless you really want another bear or this is the one thing your kids want to do on the cruise.

I think giving each child a set amount--whatever works for you--to spend on 'extras' during the cruise is a great idea. We're taking 5 grandkids cruising this winter, ages 7-11, and they will each get $20 to spend on souvenirs or other extras, like pop or video games. I know, that 's not much, but we'll be paying for everything else and there's really not anything they need to buy--it's a little fun money.

We also yearly take these 5 kids to Montana to visit cousins. It used to be a minor nightmare whenever we stopped for gas or snacks with all five whining, wanting, begging for whatever toy or candy they saw.

So, last year, ages 5-10, we gave each one $5 and told them that was all they were getting for the trip out (another $5 pp for the trip back, 1000 miles one way). If they spent it all in the first shop, that was that. Or, they could make it last the whole trip. (Note: we had plenty of snacks along; sandwiches, fruit, chips, water, etc.)

Lo and Behold, each child immediately became a savvy and miserly shopper. Great care was taken in finding the most for their money. All five finished the trip with money left over--some with several dollars left! On the way back they did the same; in fact, each child actually spent some of their money at Wall Drug in South Dakota for souvenirs for their mom and dad.

Sometimes giving kids some control over their lives becomes a positive and growing experience. They don't need everything they see or desire and it is good to learn to prioritize and wait or go without.

Good luck; Sorry for the lecture. I have a feeling your kids will not be traumatized if they don't get to do 'Build a Bear', but only you know how they will react--and they are younger.

We have been on many Carnival cruises and we have never been pressured to do build a bear. Its usually at odd times like before camp opens again during lunch time or late at night during babysitting. It was VERY easy for us to avoid and in fact we have only done it on one of our cruises. Its very clearly stated the times during the capers/fun times schedule so it will be very easy to avoid, just skip those activities altogether.

My daughter has a favorite bear from build a bear. I can guarantee it will be with us on our cruise. Can I just purchase outfits and not the bear? If not I may let her just do it as her treat from the ship. Honestly a bear and 3 outfits for $33 is a great price. You would pay ALOT more for 3 outfits at Build a Bear in a mall.

My problem is I have a 3 yr old too. I honestly don't think he would care about the bears. I think I can get away with just the girl doing one.

Ok, I feel I am prepared to avoid the bear activity. Are there any other costly activities that I should be prepared for? My kids are 3, 4, and 7 years old. Thanks.

On the Carnival Pride in Feb 2010 I had one or two "postcards" delivered to my cabin mailbox inviting my DD to some type of spa kids party for an extra fee. She never saw the invitation and I have no idea if the counselors mentioned it to her. Similar to the Build-a-Bear I just ignored it and the issue never came up with her (lucky maybe)!

Interesting Build a bear type workshop. Was on Carnival Victory last summer and don't remember seeing it. Probably it varies on ships I suppose. Carnival think of everything and just love it. Can't wait til they have "build a car", build a plane, or "build ur own" sweatshirt" programs for us adults! I just love it!

I haven't read through this entire thread, but what is the problem with just saying, "No, we aren't going to do that"?

Well, now I never thought of that. :p:p:p

But you're right -- it is that simple. Followed by THE LOOK. I have pefected the "Look". The look that says, "No, don't you dare ask why aren't we going to do that?"

Of course, now my 10 year old has also perfected the same LOOK. But when she gives ME the look I start laughing at her and say "Hey, don't you give ME the look. I created THAT look. I own it and have copyrighted it. You now owe me $10 in royalties since you used the look!". ;)

OH AND GUESS WHAT?????

My oldest and I were reading the kids club pages for our upcoming cruise on RCI and guess what it says???? ADOPT A PET AT SEA! :eek: I almost fell off my chair laughing, thinking of this thread. Ohhhh no -- no more pets from sea. I don't want no more!

I will probably let my girls get a bear on our Spring Break cruise. They have been saving up their allowance for a few weeks and will have a good chunk of change come April. But, I never make them pay for toys and games. They THINK they are paying but in all actuality, I take their money and put it in their individual savings accounts. They don't ask for much so it works for us.:)

I've already told them that they each get one souvenir at each port and one on the ship. If the bear is what they choose, then that is it.

Plus, they way I figure it....it's all of our vacation. I know I always get a t-shirt or something at each port, so what is the difference?

Well, now I never thought of that. :p:p:p

It's amazing how many parents do not think of that. If you can't say, "no" when they are six, I guarantee later on, you are in for a rough ride!

Another good answer is, "of course, as long as you have enough money to pay for it."

• 4 months later...

My 8-year-old's constant companion is the husky dog she made on a Carnival ship for her birthday 3 years ago. "Princess" (oh, the irony!) has been on many cruises, trips to WDW, as well as normal day-to-day life and held up well. Luckily she loves Princess so much that it's no problem avoiding making new animals, she just gets a new outfit now and again. ;)

Well, I've already accepted that this will be an added expense next trip, my grand-daughter's first cruise. She's 3 and our only grandchild, so we enjoy "spoiling" her. With that said, she will probably be begging to go swimming instead, lol.

She spends weekdays with me while her parents work, so I can say "no" when I need to, but this sounds like a fun activity for the two of us :)

Archived