A taste of Athens

latos2000

Four of us are taking a cruise in Sept to the Med on Royal Caribbean. We were planning on taking the ships excursion " A taste of Athens" however we have seen two negative reviews on this tour. I cannot find anything more than that. Could someone give some feedback on this tour. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Four of us are taking a cruise in Sept to the Med on Royal Caribbean. We were planning on taking the ships excursion " A taste of Athens" however we have seen two negative reviews on this tour. I cannot find anything more than that. Could someone give some feedback on this tour. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

How much will that "Taste" cost you? You can do lots in Athens "on your own", including a cab from the port to heart of what you want to see. This is especially true with the super great Plaka right next door to the Acropolis, etc. We super loved the Plaka with its many shopping and dining options. It's wonderful area to hang out, walk around, eat, drink, etc. Below are a couple of visual samples. Search through lots of earlier posts with tips on how to do Athens on your own, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Outdoor dining in the Plaka. Lots of music and fun, plus good food:

PlakaDining.jpg

On Acropolis hill with our very knowledgeable private guide who helps us appreciate all of the history and architectural details there:

OnAcrop.jpg

Outdoor theatre adjoining the Parthenon:

OutdoorTheatre.jpg

I agree with TLCOhio ... cars and drivers in Greece are much more economical that in some other countries. Often much less that the ship's excursion. And, they will get you into the wonderful little places that the larger "bus" tours can't. Our driver, Jordan, from Greek Tours, made sure we got to this great neighborhood restaurant for lunch just as they were opening. He wanted to be sure that we got the first cuts of of the gyro meats (we had chicken and pork) that were spinning on the rotisserie. He also helped us order other things so that we'd have a great sampling of wonderful Greek foods. When we got home he actually emailed me several recipes (from his wife) of the dishes that we ate at lunch. The Plaka is great and does have nice restaurants and shops. We strolled there for quite a while. But it is crowded and "touristy." The restaurant in the neighborhood made you feel like a "local!" It was great.

What did you read in negative reviews? A quick search did not turn up any on this board. Reviews must be taken with a grain of salt. Often a negative review indicates that the traveler had expectations that were not fulfilled. Mostly this is because they do not CAREFULLY read the tour descriptions.

The "Taste of Athens" tour is a very standard sort of tour, the Acropolis, guards at the palace, Olympic stadium, shopping ... nothing wrong with it for the typical tourist.

I just found a negative review on another site which stated they were disappointed in the Acropolis. HMMM. One of the major wonders of the ancient world disappointed them. Well -- everybody has their own ideas. Personally I would have been hugely disapppointed to miss the Acropolis. They also complained it was crowded. Well, yes, that is because everybody wants to see it!!

If antiquities are your main thing in Athens, it is pretty easy to walk the Antiquities Promenade yourself and see a lot more than just the Acropolis. Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/athens.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

• 4 weeks later...

TLCOhio, you have a picture of the Acropolis with a private guide. Did you have that pre-arranged or do they have guided tours?

I am normally a huge DIYer but really don't want to walk around and think "what a lovely pile of rocks". (Remembering my first trip to Rome as a Uni student who could not afford a tour).

TLCOhio, you have a picture of the Acropolis with a private guide. Did you have that pre-arranged or do they have guided tours? I am normally a huge DIYer but really don't want to walk around and think "what a lovely pile of rocks". (Remembering my first trip to Rome as a Uni student who could not afford a tour).

There are a number of private, licensed guides waiting and available at the base of Acropolis hill near where you get your tickets. I talked with a number of different potential guides, partly on price and somewhat to gauge their "style", communications skills and knowledge. We lucked out with a retired teacher who was super wonderful. Depending on when you get there, the number of guides available can vary. Having a guide there is not cheap, but missing out on the details and background for what you are seeing and experiencing would be even more costly!!! If you don't get an appreciation for what was built there and how, you would miss so much on why this is one of the great "Wonders of the World".

I agree with TLCOhio ... cars and drivers in Greece are much more economical that in some other countries. Often much less that the ship's excursion. And, they will get you into the wonderful little places that the larger "bus" tours can't.

Yes, and just imagine the wonderful little places you can get into when you are on foot versus a car. Athens is so easily doable on foot, much of the historic area is pedestrian only. ;)

I am normally a huge DIYer but really don't want to walk around and think "what a lovely pile of rocks". (Remembering my first trip to Rome as a Uni student who could not afford a tour).

This is easily cured by a little research in advance and/or a good guidebook.

I agree with TLCOhio ... cars and drivers in Greece are much more economical that in some other countries. Often much less that the ship's excursion.

True, they are less expensive in Greece, but @ 200-250 euros per day for a driver who will take you to the sites, give you some commentary along the way and take you to a restaurant, it's a significant amount of money for a city that is easy and inexpensive to do on your own. The drivers can't go into the sites and act as guides, so you will still need to do some advance research and bring guidebook material, or hire a guide at sites, or be content to observe without understanding much of what you are looking at. On top of the driver's fees, you will still have admission fees and lunch costs.

When you compare a ship's tour to a private tour, you'll have a guide on the ship's tour, but not with the private driver at the sites where drivers can't accompany you, and who wait outside while you explore on your own (unless you've hired a guide at the site).

We really enjoyed a day with a driver when we went to Corinth, Mycenae and Nauplion, but for exploring Athens on our own, it would have been money poorly spent. Using public transportation, doing a lot of walking, having an itinerary worked out in advance and bringing guidebook material has worked very well for us on our visits to Athens.

There is a lot to consider when trying to determine whether to DIY, take a ship's tour, or use a private driver ... but it's well worth taking the time to determine what you want to see in Athens and which choice of touring is best for you.

When you compare a ship's tour to a private tour, you'll have a guide on the ship's tour, but not with the private driver at the sites where drivers can't accompany you, and who wait outside while you explore on your own (unless you've hired a guide at the site). We really enjoyed a day with a driver when we went to Corinth, Mycenae and Nauplion, but for exploring Athens on our own, it would have been money poorly spent.

Agree with some of Susan's key points. We did a private driver who was super for Corinth, Mycenae, Nauplion, etc. It was totally a wonderful trip and experience. Not cheap, but we saw and enjoyed so much, having total total flexibility to stop, take pictures where needed, etc. We did two full days, plus, in Athens on our own and it worked very, very well. We had a private guide to see Acropolis Hill and that was money well spent. There are many various trade-offs to consider, including your personal budget flexibility, personal interests and travel style. One plan or option does not work or fit for everyone. This is a good discussion of the various pro/con factors to consider.

TLCOhio

After reading all the messages about; "whether to have a private car and guide in Athens" what is your conclusion? We will be in Athens for 3 days...Sat. , Sunday and Monday. Please give us your recommendations---I got pretty confused reading all the posted ones from all the travelers.

We cannot decide how to plan our days...should we take a days side trip etc.

TLCOhio. After reading all the messages about; "whether to have a private car and guide in Athens" what is your conclusion? We will be in Athens for 3 days...Sat. , Sunday and Monday. Please give us your recommendations---I got pretty confused reading all the posted ones from all the travelers. We cannot decide how to plan our days...should we take a days side trip etc.

Without knowing you personally, your travel experiences, style and budget, it is hard for me to say what's exactly best for you. BUT, we had three days in Athens prior to leaving on our cruise of the Greek Isles and Turkish Coast.

OUR PLAN? We stayed at the AVA Hotel in the Plaka (loved it there, hotel and area), did the Acropolis (having a personal guide we hired at the site there to go up on that hill, give us full background and answer questions), visited the National Museum with its various ancient art and sculpture, etc. We took a day to do a private tour with just my wife and me of Corinth, Mycene, Nauplion, etc., in that area. That loop around the Peloponnesian Peninsula with our private driver was wonderful, including the ampitheater shown below. More shopping and sights around the Plaka and nearby historic areas before boarding our cruise ship later in the afternoon. My view is that in three days in Athens, you don't really need a guide or driver to take you around. Most of this large city of four million plus people is very urban and not worth seeing that much of, in my view. The best is right there at and around the Acropolis and Plaka, plus the National Museum. Below are some added visual samples for you can see and experience there.

From Acropolis Hill, a view towards the old Olympic Statium in Athens, other Roman ruins:

AthOlymStadium.jpg

National Arch. Museum treasures from Greece’s great history:

NatMusTreasures.jpg

A night view from our AVA Hotel balcony of Roman relics in Athens:

RuinsFromHotel.jpg

Corinth's temple columns with the mountains overlooking the town in the background:

CorinthHills.jpg

These Mycene ruins go back 2700 years from a spectacular empire:

MyceneRuins.jpg

Epidaurus is the famed outdoor theater with super great acoustics:

GreekOutThTwo.jpg

TLCOhio

After reading all the messages about; "whether to have a private car and guide in Athens" what is your conclusion? We will be in Athens for 3 days...Sat. , Sunday and Monday. Please give us your recommendations---I got pretty confused reading all the posted ones from all the travelers.

We cannot decide how to plan our days...should we take a days side trip etc.

I would never do a prearranged driver tour or transfer in Athens unless mobility issues existed.Especially if I was staying in Athens for 3 days.

I would also never use public transport from/to the port.I would just take a cab both ways ,even though as a tourist you will be charged 5-10 euro more than a local would (15).Much faster, more convenient ,and door to door.The metro from the port involves a bus transfer right now,plus a 30 minute walk from and to the cruise terminal.I prefer been dropped off at the entry of the Acropolis rock site,rather than at the bottom of the hill and having to climb up from there.Plus the Acropolis museum is right there as is the best entry to the Plaka area( the street right across the museum).

The sites are so close together it takes less time to walk 300 yards than drive it ,in most cases.This is especially true if getting there on a cruise.

If I wanted to splurge I would hire a licensed guide to accompany me to the site.They would provide you with an excellent service and you can tailor it to your specific interest.I would also consider the Athens walking tours company ,for which I have only heard glowing recommendations.Never used them though.

Having said that I would always prefer a private car for going ,lets say to Nauplion,best sort trip out of Athens.Better faster than going it solo,or bus tour.

Please read the other threads from those who have been in Athens RECENTLY! It is not the same as a year ago!

Did you hear from anyone who did it on their own? I have read all the recent reports and I would still feel comfortable doing Athens on my own unless I knew there was a MAJOR protest or strike scheduled for that day. I would probably take a taxi rather than the metro but once into Athens itself I'd be fine walking around. I have no real interest in Syntagma Square (where most protests take place); the Acropolis and the area around it are of more interest to most tourists.

Please read the other threads from those who have been in Athens RECENTLY! It is not the same as a year ago!

Does 8 days in Athens middle of February this year count?

I got there on the eve of the first round of austerity measures announcements.

The airport was closed the next day Wednesday.

I walked daily in downtown Athens and I saw tourists everywhere having a great time.

Other than a couple days of total idiocy last week how is it different now?

I get to visit 7-8 times a year , and have done this for the past

5 or so.

Unless you provide something specific I have missed,I really do not know what you are talking about.

I wrote specifics in other threads: soldiers with machine guns, 3 deaths from a car bomb last week, being held on the ship 2 hours past clearance, streets blocked off in the city, Acropolis closed part of the day May 4th.Not to mention, passengers from another ship not being allowed to return to the ship until the next day (April 26th, I believe). Costa changing their schedule to go to Athens on May 4th instead of 5th.Our driver said he was unable to reschedule his group from that ship.For a city that depends on tourist money, this all seems counterproductive. We have traveled in Italy, Spain, the Baltics to St. Petersburg in the last year and all other ports were thrilled to have the cruise ships in port.

I wrote specifics in other threads: soldiers with machine guns, 3 deaths from a car bomb last week, being held on the ship 2 hours past clearance, streets blocked off in the city, Acropolis closed part of the day May 4th.Not to mention, passengers from another ship not being allowed to return to the ship until the next day (April 26th, I believe). Costa changing their schedule to go to Athens on May 4th instead of 5th.Our driver said he was unable to reschedule his group from that ship.For a city that depends on tourist money, this all seems counterproductive. We have traveled in Italy, Spain, the Baltics to St. Petersburg in the last year and all other ports were thrilled to have the cruise ships in port.

I thought you were specifically commenting on my responce about taking a cab or not to tour Athens, and nothing else.Did I misunderstood?

A few corrections.

There are no soldiers in the streets of Athens,unless they are on leave.

Its the police.I sure hope they have their guns with them too.

I remember the armored cars patrolling FCO in Rome, and the German police with the sub mashine guns patrolling the Frankfurt airport coridors years ago.

No big deal for me anyway, but I understand why you might be upset.

The car bomb was several fire bombs thrown at a bank,no car involved.

A horrible thing none the less.

The Spanish ship passengers were stopped boarding because of a job action directed at companies just like them( foreign owed ,due to cabotage lifting).

The Acropolis was partially closed due to a strike.

They are happy to see you there also, but to be blunt you were not very high on the priority list that day.

Its unfortunate it happened but your assumption they are not happy to see tourists is a little presumptuous ,dont you think?

Did you expect them to try and find a day tourists were not in town so they can strike or demonstrate?

That would be never.

I am absolutely certain tourists are safe in Athens.

You seem to be OK.

Sorry you did not have a good visit,like you probably did last year ,

as you led me to believe.You were you there last year,right?

I think it is important though, to put into perspective that you experienced a situation that is FAR from the norm in Athens. (Also, as noted by Manurules, some of the things you state are a bit of a distortion.) In general, strikes and demonstrations have been well announced, and with one exception have not been problematic or dangerous.

Delays may occur, and that is where one must be prepared to alter one's plans on the ground, if needs be.

I'm sure you didn't mean it this way, but your last two sentences sound a little naive. Athens is the capital of Greece, which is currently undergoing a HUGE financial crisis. The current situation has nothing whatsoever to do with welcoming tourists, and everything to do with Greece's finances, future, and status within the EU. If the US were facing a crisis of similar magnitude and a demonstration were scheduled in Washington DC on Congressional Hill on a particular day, I think it would be the last thing on anyone's mind as to whether tourists in Washington might be disaccommodated on that day.

For a city that depends on tourist money, this all seems counterproductive. We have traveled in Italy, Spain, the Baltics to St. Petersburg in the last year and all other ports were thrilled to have the cruise ships in port.

I can understand your frustration at being in Athens at a time that you were inconvenienced and probably quite nervous because of protests. However, with following the news on this over the past few weeks, it's evident that the people of Greece are dealing with such overwhelming concerns, that giving priority to tourists' satisfaction above all else seems a lot to expect. As much as we would like it to be "all about us" when we are on vacation, unfortunately circumstances arise that don't always make it that way.

My purpose for posting was to warn others like our group that seeing Athens with a guide as we did or a ship's excursion is the way to go at this time. We have traveled in many countries on our own and enjoy the adventure. Athens at the moment is not easy to do that way. I'm not interested in a political or economic discussion, I'm trying to help people who have asked for a cruiser's recent experience. This will be my last post on this thread. I hope I have helped people make an informed decision.

If a strike or demonstration is scheduled for the day(s) you are visiting Athens stay away from Syntagma Square and you'll have no problems!

A private tour by taxi or minibus will ensure you are not involved in any potentially harmful situations.

The police always cordon off the area of any demonstration and I have never heard of any disturbances at the main Athens sites or any tourist harmed in any way!

I hope this will allay any fears regarding your Athens visit :D

We've seen all of the major highlights in Athens and gone down the Corinth Canal. I'm sure there are interesting things to see without traveling into Athens. The trick is finding them. Is there anything special to see in Piraeus that normally gets overlooked by those heading to Athens?

• 1 month later...
If you could only vist one of the following museums which one would you choose and why?

National Archaeological Museum, OR Visit to the New Acropolis Museum,

If I could only do one and had lots of time, it would be the National Archaeological Museum due to the extent of significant artifacts that it houses.

Our visit was brief. We followed Rick Steves 'highlights of the museum' which was good, and also viewed other rooms and artifacts, but I could happily spend days in there viewing the many treasures.

Our visit to the New Acropolis Museum (which I believe only houses artifacts found at the Acropolis) was brief as well, due to the fact that it was pre-opening. However, the building itself, the ruins below the glass floors and the temporary exhibit that we saw were all very impressive. (We had visited the Old Acropolis Museum in 2005, and it was a quick visit as well, but mostly due to the fact that the collection of items wasn't that large.)

If you are fitting your visit in on a port day and have limited time, I would go with the Acropolis Museum, due to size of the museum & collection, convenience of getting there (right beside the Acropolis), and to admire the building, views and the glass floors with ruins below.

On a return visit (which if like us, you decide to go back for another visit) then you can look forward to the museum that you missed on this trip.

Archived