Atlantic Ocean

BillieB

Hi I'm not a very good sailor, although I have crossed the Atlantic before it was May and the Atlantic was like a mill pond, this next time will be October, has anyone crossed in October and what was it like. I wear wrist bands and take travel sickness tablets, my OH and I dont like flying so this is the only way we can travel to New York.

I have travelled eastbound in early October and it was fine until around the last day, nearing Southampton. The trouble is that the Atlantic is unpredictable, it could be really rough in mid summer and like a millpond in winter - it's the luck of the draw!!

Hi I'm not a very good sailor, although I have crossed the Atlantic before it was May and the Atlantic was like a mill pond, this next time will be October, has anyone crossed in October and what was it like. I wear wrist bands and take travel sickness tablets, my OH and I dont like flying so this is the only way we can travel to New York.

We are on QM2 in Ocotober this year as well, it will be the 6th TA that we have made, we had the worse weather of all last year, force 11+, the ship was so stable that it carried on sailing through the storm,on the first day I felt queasy, took ginger by the handful and I was fine.

so dont worry, enjoy your cruise

I have crossed from east to west in mid-October. We had one day with a bit of buffeting, but for the most part it was not bad. QM2 was built as an Atlantic Liner and she is very stable, but going out on deck was not possible during a particularly wendy day with gale-force winds across the bow. Inside it wasn't bad at all.

Enjoy your crossing.

Mike

We travelled last October 09 and had quite a stormy crossing, not allowed on deck for quite a bit of the crossing. We have also travelled in November 08 and sunbathed for two glorious days with one day of very bad weather.

The QM2 is the most stable ship afloat but can in bad weather pitch up and down. My wife who can be ill on a crossing from Dover to Calais always has the shipboard injection if the weather looks dodgy for the crossing we are on, $60-$70 money well spent if the weather is bad for your partner. Lower cabins amidships help on a crossing (so in hull deck 4-5 cabins) with motion sickness..our preference...good luck have a wonderful trip.

Fred.

Hi all we're going over to New York in January on QV I do get sea sick when the ship rolls with the cross winds, I did that once last August on QM2. I'm keeping my fingers crossed we have good weather, or should I say calm weather lol.

My wife who can be ill on a crossing from Dover to Calais always has the shipboard injection if the weather looks dodgy for the crossing we are on, $60-$70 money well spent if the weather is bad for your partner. /quote]

Does anyone know the name/type of medication given in the injection? I am prone to seasickness, but am also pregnant, and want to ask my doctor before we go on our crossing next month if I'm allowed to receive it or not.

In 1954 i made a trip from Avonmouth to New York in May on an Empire boat (I dont know why but the term "boat; was always used to describe these ships. This was to be a ten day trip but wound up taking us 27 days. This is the worst weather I have ever seen on the North Atlantic.The Queen Mary passed us three times. The Western Ocean will be what it is. Hurricanes latter in the year dont help! QM2 is agreat weather ship and will cope quite easily with whatever the sea throws up.

Archived