How do room doors lock?

I'm sailing on FOS April 25 and I have a 3 yr old who loves to escape. I'm wondering how the door locks. Will he be able to open it and race down the hallway or does it have a chain lock/ dead bolt that is up high. Thanks

The door hardware is standard hotel cardreader variety with a dead bolt that is engaged with a knob or lever on the inside. No chain locks on any cabin doors where we have stayed. Keep your running shoes on!

I bought a "travel door alarm" - a $5 gizmo from Target - with a loop you can hang on things like doorknobs. It's motion activated - will go off if someone starts fiddling with it or the thing it's attached to. You could check into something like that. We've never actually used it at night since the kids sleep the sleep of the dead on cruises, but I always bring it along for peace of mind!

We found out the hard way that if some moron removes the DND tag from your door, there isn't really anything that keeps your room steward from coming in in the middle of the afternoon. This holds true for the opposite direction. I could think of any number of easy ways to block your child from the door, none of which are particularly appealing in the event of an emergency.

But at the same time, I can't see a three year old opening the door easily.... They are heavy.

We found out the hard way that if some moron removes the DND tag from your door, there isn't really anything that keeps your room steward from coming in in the middle of the afternoon.

Really? I thought that throwing the deadbolt would prevent an unexpected vistor. The deadbolt is not normally engaged when just shutting the door.

I've got a picture of the interior of a Freedom door and will post if needed, but it's a little bit of a hassle to post a pic, isn't it?

We found out the hard way that if some moron removes the DND tag from your door, there isn't really anything that keeps your room steward from coming in in the middle of the afternoon. This holds true for the opposite direction. I could think of any number of easy ways to block your child from the door, none of which are particularly appealing in the event of an emergency.

But at the same time, I can't see a three year old opening the door easily.... They are heavy.

This is not correct! If you deadbolt the door while you are inside instead of just letting it shut, no one will come in. Just like in a hotel.

Ok, so no chain lock. I must be confusing stateroom doors with any one of a zillion hotel room doors.

Isn't there some kind of metal thing you can flip from the door jamb over to the door itself? It allows the door to be cracked open, as a chain lock would, but not wide enough for anybody, even a child, to get out.

If you open the door all the way, and then flip that thing over, the door will close on it, so you don't lock yourself out. Handy for when you're putting your luggage or room service trays in the hallway.

Ok, so no chain lock. I must be confusing stateroom doors with any one of a zillion hotel room doors.

Isn't there some kind of metal thing you can flip from the door jamb over to the door itself? It allows the door to be cracked open, as a chain lock would, but not wide enough for anybody, even a child, to get out.

If you open the door all the way, and then flip that thing over, the door will close on it, so you don't lock yourself out. Handy for when you're putting your luggage or room service trays in the hallway.

Hotel rooms yes, but not on any ship I´ve been on.

Nope, again. Must be one of those zillion hotel rooms. ;)

ITA that those doors are heavy!

For additional security a piece of duct tape across the top for good measure would help ease your mind. (be sure to fold the end over so you can grab it)

Do you have a balcony cabin? There is a child proof device on the balcony door, just look at he instructions on the door.

Archived