Snorkeling with kids

AndyB

Any suggestions for a good place to snorkel with the kids? My son (8) really loved snorkeling in Cozumel, where we could do it right off the beach in fairly shallow water. He's a decent swimmer, but I am not comfortable with him being in water over my head - need to be able to stand if he needs help.

I tried searching this forum, and saw many recommendations of where not to go, but none for where to go. Doesn't have to be the be-all, end-all of snorkeling - looking for safe and fun here. Any recommendations? Thanks!!

Any suggestions for a good place to snorkel with the kids? My son (8) really loved snorkeling in Cozumel, where we could do it right off the beach in fairly shallow water. He's a decent swimmer, but I am not comfortable with him being in water over my head - need to be able to stand if he needs help.

I tried searching this forum, and saw many recommendations of where not to go, but none for where to go. Doesn't have to be the be-all, end-all of snorkeling - looking for safe and fun here. Any recommendations? Thanks!!

Not sure how you didn't come across Tobacco Bay in your search.;)

There is an area that is shallow that would work for your son. The area to the left in the picture is shallow and may not be over your shoulders even if you go out farther. The area to the right will be over your head. Tobacco Bay is protected on all sides so you don't have to worry about being in the open ocean. You can walk in from the small beach.

d4ec3960.jpg

Here's another view. In this one you can see that it's low tide by the water marks on the rocks but it will still not be over you head.

8037f97e.jpg

Thanks! I did see Tobacco Bay, guess I was just looking for someone to say, "yes, this is the place to take your kid!". :o

FWIW - confirmed - Tobacco Bay best place for 'family friendly' snorkelling - and has full concessions too...

If you're looking for something a little more 'adventurous' then Church Bay has better snorkelling - but it's in deeper water & can get a little choppy...

Thanks! I did see Tobacco Bay, guess I was just looking for someone to say, "yes, this is the place to take your kid!". :o

No problem.

One other place to consider is Snorkel Park. It is not our favorite but it does have shallow water, also some water toys and many people like it. If you're docked at Dockyard, it's just a very short walk from the ship.

One thing you are best to educate your son on is jellyfish. It is loaded in Bermuda, one time, I almost snorkeled into a Man of War.

Anyway. I do like snorkeling over the tops of jelly fish, very interesting. But people can get stung. I do spent most all of my shore time snorkeling, and have my own excellent private shore areas I go to. Tabacco Bay is very good, and as stated Church Bay is excellent, but it definately is over your head and a swim out. Snorkel Park is very good for kids, way down the pole for snorkeling, but if just looking for a safer easier location, that is it.

One thing you are best to educate your son on is jellyfish. It is loaded in Bermuda, one time, I almost snorkeled into a Man of War.

Anyway. I do like snorkeling over the tops of jelly fish, very interesting. But people can get stung. I do spent most all of my shore time snorkeling, and have my own excellent private shore areas I go to. Tabacco Bay is very good, and as stated Church Bay is excellent, but it definately is over your head and a swim out. Snorkel Park is very good for kids, way down the pole for snorkeling, but if just looking for a safer easier location, that is it.

That's a bit misleading. Your statement makes it seems like there are tons of jellyfish all the time. There is a certain time when they are more plentiful and I'm not sure exactly when, but we have never seen any.:) Not saying they don't have them, just that it's not all the time. ;)Anytime they are plentiful, there will be posted warnings.

Yes, I've heard the jellyfish can be a problem. Thanks for the suggestions (and warnings)! I think I will definitely consider Snorkel Park as well as Tobacco Bay. My 8-year-old will not have very high standards for snorkeling :). But he really enjoyed it in Cozumel (not seeing much there either at Chankanaab), and I want to make sure he has some good (safe) opportunities in Bermuda. Thanks again!

That's a bit misleading. Your statement makes it seems like there are tons of jellyfish all the time. There is a certain time when they are more plentiful and I'm not sure exactly when, but we have never seen any.:) Not saying they don't have them, just that it's not all the time. ;)Anytime they are plentiful, there will be posted warnings.

I have numerous trips to Bermuda in different months. I have ALWAYS seen jelly fish. I am an avid snorkeler and do so my entire time I'm in Bermuda. And they don't always have "signs" up. There are more places to snorkel then Tabacco Bay, which you may be referring to? What about all the open northshore areas loaded with snorkel sites???

My point is to be prepared. If they don't run into jelly fish, all well and good. At least they know about them. I've had to deal with a few screaming snorkelers I've run into who didn't have a clue. I always have my spray handy for myself.

I have numerous trips to Bermuda in different months. I have ALWAYS seen jelly fish. I am an avid snorkeler and do so my entire time I'm in Bermuda. And they don't always have "signs" up. There are more places to snorkel then Tabacco Bay, which you may be referring to? What about all the open northshore areas loaded with snorkel sites???

My point is to be prepared. If they don't run into jelly fish, all well and good. At least they know about them. I've had to deal with a few screaming snorkelers I've run into who didn't have a clue. I always have my spray handy for myself.

We have numerous trips there also and, maybe not as much as, but we spend a fair amount of time snorkeling.

The OP asked about places that would be safe for an 8 year old so I was referring to Tobacco Bay with the posted pictures. Open northshore sites would not be places to take a child.

No, there will not be signs everywhere but there will be on the more popular beaches that most tourists go to on the south shore, most notably, Horseshoe Bay. Being an avid snorkeler, you most likely have been places that are a bit more off the beaten path for the average tourist.

I didn't say there were never jellyfish, just mentioned that although there can be, we were fortunate that we never saw any. Sure, it's best to be prepared but when it's stated that Bermuda is loaded and that is not clarified by time or location, it makes one think they are everywhere all the time.

The thought of jelly fish freak me out too. What is this spray that you mentioned? Can you post some info on it please so I can be prepared when i go in August?

The thought of jelly fish freak me out too. What is this spray that you mentioned? Can you post some info on it please so I can be prepared when i go in August?

There is a spray called Jellyfish Squish Sting Relief Spray. Some people use spray bottles filled w/ white vinegar.

There is also a product called Sea Safe..it is a jellyfish repellant with or without sunblock (various SPFs). http://www.divesports.com/Jellyfish-Sting-Protection-s/182.htm has some different options for you to chose from.

Laura

Another nice place I snorkeled with my kids was Ft. St. Catherine Beach--right near Tobacco Bay--shallow quite a ways out, great for snorkeling with young kids. Also has concession stands, umbrella rental, and bathrooms. Tobacco Bay is also great for young kids. Enjoy! Wander over to the rocks to the right of the Bay if you are standing on the beach facing the water--there are little coves, shallow and easy to manage with the kids and all sorts of sea and plant life to see!

As for jellyfish--in my experience (spending all my summers in Bermuda as a kid) they are typically around once the water temps are warmer--mid to late summer. As other posters noted, the more popular beaches with the tourists will have signs up.

I have no experience with spray-on jellyfish repellent, but am wondering how well that could work once you are in the water and it washes off??

Sorry- I forgot to get to this in my original response.

If there is one beach in Bermuda I would never visit again, Snorkel Park is it. It is not really a beach, they have carved this out of the rock and dumped sand in. No less than 5 of the 6 children with us and two of the adults ended up scraped and scrached from brushing against the bottom, which is really coral.

No ambiance, no view, strictly an opportunity to get the tourist in. Thats my opinion. Compared to all the truly gorgeous beaches of Bermuda, this one is not even in the running.

There is a spray called Jellyfish Squish Sting Relief Spray. Some people use spray bottles filled w/ white vinegar.

There is also a product called Sea Safe..it is a jellyfish repellant with or without sunblock (various SPFs). http://www.divesports.com/Jellyfish-Sting-Protection-s/182.htm has some different options for you to chose from.

Laura

Thanks.

Another nice place I snorkeled with my kids was Ft. St. Catherine Beach--right near Tobacco Bay--shallow quite a ways out, great for snorkeling with young kids. Also has concession stands, umbrella rental, and bathrooms. Tobacco Bay is also great for young kids. Enjoy! Wander over to the rocks to the right of the Bay if you are standing on the beach facing the water--there are little coves, shallow and easy to manage with the kids and all sorts of sea and plant life to see!

Sorry to say that the concession stand and everything else has been gone for at least 2 years now.

It is very important to note that man o wars are NOT jellyfish and therefore require different treatment. If you use vinegar on a MOW sting it will make it worse! Meat tenderizer is what you use on a MOW sting. If you forgot to bring it, urine works well too. You can use anyone's but I prefer to use my own, I don't know why, it's just how I am.

The typical jellyfish we get here are moon jellies and are harmless to the vast majority of people. Thousands of people bump into these everyday and don't even know that they've been in contact with what is percieved to be a vicious and calculating cold blooded killer.

This is off topic, but I see that you did a DIY in Rome last year. How did it go? We are going June and staying the night pre-cruise but wanted to do much of the things you guys were planning. What happened? What would you suggest. We will arrive around 11 a.m. and leave the following day to get to the cruise port around noon.

This is off topic, but I see that you did a DIY in Rome last year. How did it go? We are going June and staying the night pre-cruise but wanted to do much of the things you guys were planning. What happened? What would you suggest. We will arrive around 11 a.m. and leave the following day to get to the cruise port around noon.

You know, I feel a bit guilty that I didn't report back on that day after getting some good advice on these boards. Let me check my notes from the trip, and I'll post back on that same thread on the Med boards.

It is very important to note that man o wars are NOT jellyfish and therefore require different treatment. If you use vinegar on a MOW sting it will make it worse! Meat tenderizer is what you use on a MOW sting. If you forgot to bring it, urine works well too. You can use anyone's but I prefer to use my own, I don't know why, it's just how I am.

The typical jellyfish we get here are moon jellies and are harmless to the vast majority of people. Thousands of people bump into these everyday and don't even know that they've been in contact with what is percieved to be a vicious and calculating cold blooded killer.

These are the types that we saw when we were snorkeling in Bermuda last August. There were only a few around and I bumped into a few and did not get stung. We have been to Bermuda 5 times, mostly in August and this is what we have seen the most.

Archived