Rotterdam QM2 28 May

cruzadict

We have just booked for the 4 night cruise on QM2 on the 28th May. One of the ports as Rotterdam. We have never been here before so can anyone tell me whether the town is walkable from the port and will there be a lot open as it is a Sunday. Are there any must sees there or is it just a good walking town.

We have booked a guarantee balcony cabin, has anyone already booked this grade and already received their cabin number.

I can answer one of your queries- there is usually a shuttle bus to take you into the centre of Rotterdam. There were two stops when we went last December-one outside the townhall and the other at the train station so that you could go to Amsterdam.

There is a shuttle bus but you don't really need it. Just walk over the Erasmus Bridge (and get great views of the ship) and you are pretty much there. Turn left if you want to go see the Euromast and Delftshaven, carry straight on for the shops. I love Rotterdam. The sail in up the Maas river should be very special too, and the ships usually get the fireboat welcome, as well as the sailor's shanty choir.

Pudd is correct, you can walk it in around 10 mins, but the bus will take you right into the city, please come over and join us on the roll call, we are getting a good group together now.

You will love the sail up the river into rotterdam and the the sailaway as well

In Amsterdam the shops open at midday, but not sure if this will be so for Rotterdam.

However, you may have not thought of a trip to Delft, which is a very short train journey from Rotterdam (from where the shuttle drop off is). It really is a beautiful place, much history and in my opinion far nicer than Rotterdam. I did this in December and the trains were very frequent (but it was not a Sunday). It is very quaint, some fine restaurants and the church where the Dutch Royal family having their last resting place. In my view this is somewhat like Amsterdam but on a small scale in relation to the buildings and canals and much quieter.

I hope this helps your with a Sunday itinerary.

There is a shuttle bus but you don't really need one. Just walk over the Erasmus bridge and you are in the centre. Turn left at the end for the Spido sight seeing boats or to the Euromast for wonderful views over the city and port. Carry striaght on for the shops and Maritime Museum etc. It's a nice city. The sail in should be great up the Maas River with a fireboat welcome (usually) and a shanty choir to meet us.

Cruzadict

We were there in December (QV trip). The ships usually dock starboard side to the terminal, so if you are lucky enough to get a cabin on the port side you will have wonderful views of the city and the "swan " bridge; it looked super in the evening all lit up. I think you would find it quite a walk to the city centre, so use the shuttle bus and see more of Rotterdam (especially on the return journey because of the one-way traffic system).

I know in Amsterdam the shops open at noon on Sunday, so would imagine this would be so in Rotterdam. However, we took the train to Delft (just across the road from one of the shuttle stops). It is not far, but such a beautiful place. With the buildings and canals it is like Amsterdam but "small scale"; far more pleasant and without the crowds. Plenty of good restaurants and the church where the Dutch Royal family are laid to rest. There were plenty of trains but that was on a weekday. You might find this worth further investigation, but whatever you do have a great trip and that should not be too difficult on the QM2.;)

I am keen to go to Delft, just how easy and how far is it

Rob

Very easy to get there by train. We had to buy our tickets in the ticket office as the auto machines did not seem to accept English debit or credit cards, but that was no hassle as you queue by number. I think it was 4 or 5 stops from Rotterdam (perhaps about 20 minutes) and you want Delft, not Delft Zuid. On arrival, you go out of the station cross the road in front of you and you are there!

I am sure you will be able to check the train timetable on the web.

If you get there I am sure you will not be disappointed.

Just a few weeks ago the former HAL Flagship ROTTERDAM V opened as a tourist attraction in Rotterdam as a tourist attraction & hotel......

perhaps a google search could give you more information.

She's a beautiul ship...a classic transatlantic oceanliner that thankfully has been saved & restored!!!

Were on the same cruise in May, we love Holland and have only just come back from a long weekend where we visited Amsterdam and Rotterdam.

The second part of your question, we were given our stateroom number by the TA when we booked. They gave us a choice of decks and staterooms, all at the same price.

Just a few weeks ago the former HAL Flagship ROTTERDAM V opened as a tourist attraction in Rotterdam as a tourist attraction & hotel......

perhaps a google search could give you more information.

She's a beautiul ship...a classic transatlantic oceanliner that thankfully has been saved & restored!!!

Yes - she is on my to do list. She looked lovely when I was there in October on QV, but wasn't open to the public then. Hopefully I will make it this time.

Rob

Very easy to get there by train. We had to buy our tickets in the ticket office as the auto machines did not seem to accept English debit or credit cards, but that was no hassle as you queue by number.

Most automatic ticket machines in Europe do not accept US credit cards. The European cards have an electronic chip that the US cards do not have and the machines can't read them.

As noted by the post quoted you should be fine with US cards at an ATM machine or at a ticket window staffed by a human.

Archived