Cabins near elevators

AMBGP

I realize that this is a very subjective question, but I am wondering how noisy are cabins directly near the elevators?

We really like a balcony cabin on the caribe deck, but all that were available were either forward or aft and RIGHT near the elevators?

When in the cabin we spend most of our time on the balcony, typically are late to bed and early to rise, but I am a little concerned. I don't want to not be able to sleep at all because of noisy fellow cruisers.

If it makes a difference, I have picked a forward cabin, thinking that possibly those elevators would be less busy than those under the Horizon Court...and we always utilize the sanctuary. ;)

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I always try to book near an elevator and have never had any problem with noise. Also, being near the aft elevator is very convenient for running up to the buffet for some goodies to bring back and eat on your balcony. Most of the time the aft elevators are not very busy and in the evenings after dinner there will be times when you may be the only people on the elevators.

Watch out for those mid elevators which can get crowded. :eek:

This January we were on the Emerald and we were on the Caribe deck as close to the elevators as possible, mid ship. We were not bothered once by the elevator or the sounds coming from them In fact we weren't bothered by the noise of the foot traffic coming to and from the elevators. This turned out to be a non issue for us.

Dave

We love being near the misships elevator on Emerald deck, like E419 on the Grand class ships. We end up right in the middle of everything we need and have never had a noise issue in 16 cruises! Enjoy your cruise!

I'm pleased to read these reports = we have a Caribe balcony stateroom just near the central elevators and we just talked about this so it's nice to see that there's no problem.

Billet - every time I see your avatar I get a shock :)

Thanks everyone for your replies!

I wasn't particularly worried, but the reassurance that there shouldn't be much of a problem is always nice.

Unfortunately, all caribe midship cabins are unavailable so we've chosen to go forward--only slightly, the 1st cabin not in the midship zone--because the sanctuary and lotus pool are more important to us than the buffet.

thanks again.;)

Due to the fact that one of the people in my group requires a handicapped cabin, we always stay on Caribe deck near the elevators in the forward part of the ship. It is never crowded at the elevator bank except when boarding and the noise level during the cruise has been non-existent.

Enjoy your cruise!

Gryffin, Cruising on April 18th in a wheelchair cabin on the caribe deck-c302. There are 3 of us. Is it noticeably larger then the other cabins? We were hoping the extra room will help. Good to hear noise won't be a problem. My sister had wondered about that.

Thanks for any info you can give us.

We have never had a problem in the past however on our cruise in January on the Grand, one evening there was a rather loud conversation going on between two couples in the elevator lobby. However I am sure that anyone within 5 cabins in either direction of the elevator lobby heard it. It was only for a matter of moments but it did happen. In the morning I noticed that there was a ventilation panel in the bottom of the door...now I am going to have to check if this is the case on all Princess ships because I haven't been aware of it on other ships.

I think that near the elevators is very good. On the Coral we were B703 which was next to B630. Our cabin was cheaper than the cabin next door which we shared a wall with -- I'll take the door next to midship and save the money:p (I'm sure I planned it that way! LOL)

Hi Lindamsn,

My friends are in C304. Their cabin is very big. It's much wider than the average balcony cabin. There is plenty of room as they have to keep a motorized scooter there. The only other major difference is the layout of the closet. Your cabin has room for 3 or 4 passengers while theirs has only the two twin beds. The balcony is also larger as it must be able to accomodate a wheelchair or scooter. The bathroom is also larger as it is made for a wheelchair. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Gryffin

We've had many, many cabins right near the elevators and have never heard elevator noise (and I hear everything). What noise we've heard has been from rude passengers who don't realize they are supposed to be quiet in the hallways.

We had C702 & C704 just a few months ago on the CB and it was blissfully quiet - even the passengers on the whole were quiet!

Thanks, Gryffin, for the input. We were told the cabin was bigger but hadn't tt anyone that had experienced one. All that extra room will be nice. I won't be needing a wheel chair at this point so that is good. I am getting stronger after chemo and rooming with my mom, sister. My son and his fiance as they are getting married on St Thomas. This is my first cruise so I am trying to plan for it. They have all been on crusies before and are helping as they can but none of them had had a wheel chair cabin before.

Thanks again for your help.

Linda

Actually, that was my sister who posted the message about "all the extra room will be nice." She is considered disabled, so while I understand that you're sensitive... she isn't an "able-bodied" person who booked the room for the extra space. She was just making a comment that obviously wasn't taken the way she meant it. Best not to pass judgment when you don't know the whole story. I'm sure you didn't mean any harm, but I thought I should speak up. Also, it was our travel agent who booked the room for us because she knew my sister's needs. I'm glad she was so helpful. And I'm thankful my sister is even able to make the cruise to see her son get married!

Actually, that was my sister who posted the message about "all the extra room will be nice." She is considered disabled, so while I understand that you're sensitive... she isn't an "able-bodied" person who booked the room for the extra space. She was just making a comment that obviously wasn't taken the way she meant it. Best not to pass judgment when you don't know the whole story. I'm sure you didn't mean any harm, but I thought I should speak up. Also, it was our travel agent who booked the room for us because she knew my sister's needs. I'm glad she was so helpful. And I'm thankful my sister is even able to make the cruise to see her son get married!

Sorry, Lovecruisin, but when those of us who are confined to wheelchairs hear the phrase "all the extra room will be nice" it really upsets us. All the extra room is so a person in a wheelchair is able to cruise not so 3 people can cruise more comfortably. Even though that may not be what your sister meant, it really sounded like it. So Putterdude is not the only one who misunderstood. May I also suggest you rent a wheelchair for your sister. If your sister is weak enough to require a wheelchair cabin she will definitely need a wheelchair on the ship. The ship is very large and requires a lot of walking, standing and waiting. Not to mention off the ship. Princess no longer loans their wheelchairs out.

Getting back to cabins by elevators. We also require wheelchair cabins and they are often found near the elevator. We find them to be very noisy. It's not the elevator, its the people waiting for and getting off the elevator that are noisy. It is the worst late at night when people think nothing of yelling goodnight to their friends, loud laughing etc.

Actually, when the Princess rep. heard about my situation, she suggested the wheelchair cabin. At that time, weeks ago, we thought I would need a wheelchair and I still may, who knows, given the additional info. I didn't even know that they had wheel chair cabins until the rep. put us in one.

Linda,

Congrats on the upcoming wedding of your son! I'm very glad to hear that you're feeling stronger. The cruise and the wedding will definitely make you feel better. If I could make a suggestion, I would recommend that you order a wheelchair or a motorized scooter as my friends have. The scooter allows you access to almost anywhere that you will need to go, plus the ships staff treat you very special and are always willing to help you. The company that we are dealing with delivers the scooter or chair straight to your cabin so that it is waiting for you when you arrive. Also, if you need assistance in boarding, Princess can arrange to have you and your party taken on board as you arrive so that you won't have to stand in line. Don't stress yourself or your family if you don't have to.

Gryffin

Archived