I would never, but????

wannagonow123

When I was on the Sapphire last month, I purchased a soda card, and got a drink cup which was silver, with a Coke & Princess logo. I carried that cup everywhere, and when presented, it was refilled. I never showed my soda sticker the entire time I had this cup.

My question is, do they change the cup colors each cruise, or can people just bring the cup on another cruise & keep getting refills, without purchsing the sticker again? I t appears to be a perfect way for fraud. My husband was able to get me refills.

Normally, you have to show your card (on the ships we have sailed on), just the coke cup is not enough. Although it seemed to be enough on your cruise, most make you show the actual sticker on your card at the bars before they will allow you to have the soda. So no, I don't think just bringing the cup along on the next cruise for anyone would work.

Based on the collection of Coke cups of have from previous cruises, they are the same cups, however, when we have used the cup, we have always had to present ship card with the coke sticker on it. We now do the coke card and just have them place the sticker on our cabin card and don't even take the coke cup.

Penny

I noticed the design of the coke cup this year was different to the design last year. You might want to have a quick compare of the two before you present your old one for a refill ;)

I take my own soda on board because I'm a diet Pepsi drinker and don't like diet Coke. I brought along one of my old Princess Coke cups to carry my diet Pepsi up to the pool. The design had changed and I was a bit self-conscious carrying around the old design because I thought people would speculate that I was doing just that, trying to get free Coke by using my Princess cup!

We actually only used the souvenir cup on our first cruise, since then we have left it in the wrapper and taken it home. I suppose it they didn't ask for your card, you could use the cup over again, but my wife seems to like collecting them, so we don't try to pack it on a different cruise. As mentioned, they did change the design some time in the last year.

I've never tried to use the cup to get a drink without presenting my card first, but I suppose if they don't ask to see your card....

Mike

When I was on the Sapphire last month, I purchased a soda card, and got a drink cup which was silver, with a Coke & Princess logo. I carried that cup everywhere, and when presented, it was refilled. I never showed my soda sticker the entire time I had this cup.

My question is, do they change the cup colors each cruise, or can people just bring the cup on another cruise & keep getting refills, without purchsing the sticker again? I t appears to be a perfect way for fraud. My husband was able to get me refills.

Even though servers are SUPPOSED to ask to see the current sticker when the cup is presented for refill, I guess it would be possible for someone (not YOU of course!) to do as you discussed. HOWEVER, they should be aware of the PENALTIES for doing such things aboard ship...

keel-hauling and walking the plank come to mind!! :eek:

I found that the bartenders always ask for the card. However when returning for a refill to the same bartender they didn't ask to see the card. When the shifts changed you just had to retrain the new bartender;)

Yeah, we always put away the souvenir cup (I have a box full of 'em still in the shrink-wrap). We'd rather not have to keep track of it and wash it etc... And I always ask for a soda in a large glass which holds much more than the souvenir cup.

Oh, and just to carry your logic to the extreme... they also use different color stamps to put on the cruise card. You could always carry onboard your old cruise cards, match up the soda stamp color and get free drinks that way. The bartenders never check the card that closely to see that it was from a different voyage. :rolleyes:

I don't even take the metal cup when I sign up for the soda, I got fed up carrying it about and having to pull off the top every time it needed a refill ......... I just ask for a large diet coke with ice in a large plastic tumbler .......... holds much more. Also the metal cup holds very little and I have no use for it when I get home.

Most bartenders and wait staff just glance at the card to see if it has a sticker.

Yeah, we always put away the souvenir cup (I have a box full of 'em still in the shrink-wrap). We'd rather not have to keep track of it and wash it etc... And I always ask for a soda in a large glass which holds much more than the souvenir cup.

Oh, and just to carry your logic to the extreme... they also use different color stamps to put on the cruise card. You could always carry onboard your old cruise cards, match up the soda stamp color and get free drinks that way. The bartenders never check the card that closely to see that it was from a different voyage. :rolleyes:

A friend of mine did this a few years ago. She took her old cruise card and the stickers were identical. She just peeled the old one off and stuck it to her new cruise card. I wouldnt have the nerve to do it myself.

we did a back 2 back carribbean cruise a few years ago. the first week was a coke sticker that was put on our card and the 2nd week was a sprite sticker.

Yes, they do change the color of the cups--our last cruise was a red a silver cup

I just left the cups (wrapped) in the room as every ounce of space in the suitcase is reserved:D. My card was always checked but then I always presented it also. If I was having trouble finding my card (OK so I would stick my card in the top of my bra:p) the server would politely wait for me to "find" it. I would not try using an "old" sticker-- I have a higher standard for me! Checking my last 5 cruises there were 2 sprite and 3 coke and two colors that I could identify after 2 week cruises.

I noticed someone selling a “Soft Drink Tumbler from Princess Cruises” on the most used online auction site. They claim:

“you know that this tumbler can be presented at any bar on the cruise ship for a fill of your favorite soft drink. On a recent seven day cruise, the soft drink package was sold for $30. Purchasing this tumbler and taking it with you on your next Princess Cruise can save you money on your soft drink purchases.”

If Princess sees this auction, they will likely be a little more careful about looking at soda stickers on key cards.

Archived