Any tips for organization in a quad room??

MysticalMagic

Help! First time cruisers! Our family of 4 (daughters 8&14) will be going on an alaskan cruise this June.

Are there any tips you have to help staying organized in a small space? Anything to bring that might help? or other tips you might have that would help with our stay?

How about a pocket organizer for the back of the bathroom door?

Help! First time cruisers! Our family of 4 (daughters 8&14) will be going on an alaskan cruise this June.

Are there any tips you have to help staying organized in a small space? Anything to bring that might help? or other tips you might have that would help with our stay?

How about a pocket organizer for the back of the bathroom door?

Bathroom/Showers will be one of the biggest issues. Depending on the ship there may be showers in the Spa/Fittness area . If so they're free of charge. It's worth checking out.

We are usually 4 in an inside room but our kids are smaller so they take up less space (age 4 and 5 currently) and we only travel w/2 large suitcases.

- use the cabinets under the bed (lift up the bed skirt and you'll see it).

- ask the room stewart for extra hangers and double or triple hang your items

- put your luggage under the bed, toward the back end

- open up the stool by the desk to keep shoes or other items

- cruisers have mentioned buying the plastic shoe bags at the Dollar store to put beauty supplies and hang on the bathroom door

- use sample beauty supplies and throw out as you finish

- it might be tight but doable if you're not messy and well organized

- designate a section of the room to each person so everyone knows where they can put their own stuff

- hang up clothes if you are going to rewear.

- designate a bag or spot for the dirty clothes or start packing them in your empty suitcase as you finish wearing them so they aren't around since the suitcase will go back under the bed

- minimize what you're going to bring so you won't need the space, unless you are really going to need it, don't bring it. you can last a week w/o it.

- remember this is only temp so do the best you can and have fun

I know that you'll have a wonderful cruise!

For 4 people I think you'll find there aren't enough drawers to store things as you would at home although there is a lot more space than you think when you first walk into your cabin; some of it is very cleverly stored out of sight. If you can tell us which ship there will be lots of people who can point you to out of sight storage.

So, the best tip I can offer you will help you maximize the shelf space. You could stack things on the shelves but you know they won't stay stacked long! Bring some ordinary grocery bags (paper) that you've cut down to perhaps 12-14 inches high; no point in bringing paper you'll throw away. Leave them folded; that way they'll fit in an outside luggage pocket or some out of the way place. When you start unpacking, unfold each one and carefully turn the cut edge of the bag down all the way around to form a lip; fold again and you'll have a fairly sturdy little paper box. You'll use up 3-4 inches with the fold-down lips so don't cut them off too short.

These will fit nicely on a closet shelf--slide them in next to each other with one of the narrow sides facing out. They'll pull out like little drawers with just a finger hooked into the top so you can get out what you need and slide them back.

Good things to store in them: Underwear, especially women's/girls. Belts, rolled up. Socks. Hose. Hair stuff. We always put our sunburn cream, bug repellent, that sort of thing in one. Even t-shirts, especially the children's will fit if folded and stacked upright. Small electronic items--I keep my extra ear buds, my Shuffle that I use for music when I'm out walking the deck, cords, and such in one. Paperback books. You'll think of more!

You could write what's on them on that narrow side that faces out, or give each girl a shelf with her own bags. This will really help keep things from just becoming a tangle on a closet shelf.

You'll find that the shelves are adjustable so you can organize your hanger clothes according to length and use the rest of the shelves for flat or paper bag storage. You could take the bags home, stuff still stored in them when you put them in your luggage or just toss them and get more for the next cruise.

Many people like the bag over the bathroom door but we've not found that to be useful; I'd rather have the hooks that are there to hang up robes and stuff. Whatever will work best for you.

Keep after everyone to keep everything picked up and in its place; with 4 in a quad you'll want the peaceful feeling that comes with not needing to look at clutter everywhere which happens when people just drop things on the desk and such. It's essential even for 2 people in a cabin! The steward can do a better job too.

I tend to take way too much stuff with me on cruises so am very good at using the cabin space. My suggestions:

Buy the plastic hooks with suction cups and use them in the cabin. Some of them can hold up to 15 lbs. I hang my hair dryer on one (the one the ship gives you is not very powerful and it is in the bathroom).

Take a cheap plastic shoe bag with you for various miscellaneous items like makeup, hair brush, medications, etc. This can also hang on a plastic hook.

Bring a laundry net bag with you. It can either be hung on a hook or thrown on the floor of the closet.

Take wire hangers - the type the dry cleaners give you. They don't take up much space in the closet and can be thrown away at the end of the cruise.

Bring along pants racks. You can hang 4-5 pairs of slacks on each one.

You can also bring along the multi-tiered blouse hangers.

A place for everything, and everything in it's place. Keep this in mind whenever something is put down. You do not want to have no place to sit, and you do not want to be tripping over shoes. :eek:

Two bathe in the morning; two in the evening. There are showers by the pools, so rinse off there after swimming.

Find the public toilets, so you know where to get to quickly, should the need arise.

Liquor has charms that soothe. Apply liberally. :D

Good luck.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I think liberal application of alcohol and chocolate will work nicely!:D

I think we will be fine with the shower. My little one is still at the bath/shower 2 times a week and even my older one takes one every other day ...or so.;) So they can do that in the evening and my husband and I can have the mornings. Even I am more of a no make-up, wash and go type but do need my shower in the morning.

I think I need to find some pictures of the bathroom and closets on the Oosterdam.

I like that paperbag trick for a basket. What shelves do they fit on? inside the closets?

I think clothing will be our biggest problem. Would a thing you hang from the closet that creates shelves be useful? I forgot what they call them. We will not be attending the formal dinners so will have less dressy clothes, but there will be four of us and we are doing many excursions.

Maybe a little help with the bathroom clutter.

Shoes too are a problem. Always!

1) Don't overpack

2) Expect some clutter - it's unavoidable - don't get flustered

3) Keep organized as you go - don't leave the room a mess - that way you'll return to a clean room

I have to say though, as I walk down the corridor and peer into cabins that are open (for cleaning or otherwise) I am amazed at times at the huge piles of stuff left on the beds and floors in cabins. I couldn't live like that even for the length of a cruise and I'm not a particularly neat person by nature. I've seen cabins you could barely walk in - and some you couldn't. Even with four though, I would think a little suicase and closet organization would keep things to a dull roar.

Depending on which ship you are on, floor space is at a premium when the beds are opened for the children. If it is a true sofa bed, it juts into the room, making the balcony (if you have one) inaccessible. Some configurations have the sofa become a twin bed parellel to the wall. That is a better arrangement space wise.

We have always traveled with three or four in a cabin. It is tight but doable. As other posters have said, make sure to keep up with the clutter. Pick up as you go and you will be fine. There is plenty of storage if it is used and things aren't thrown wherever.

I like that paperbag trick for a basket. What shelves do they fit on? inside the closets?

Yes, the closet shelves. The shelves will be deeper than the paper bag baskets; you can store items that you'll only use occasionally behind the row of bag-baskets.

We've done quads on Carnival's older ships, those cabins are much smaller than the ones on HAL. Organization is the key.

Shoes for Alaska--Sneakers (or any shoe with good traction), dress shoes, sandals.

Over the door shoe holder--I've seen liteweight ones at the dollar store.

We use a liteweight dollarstore nylon garden-tote to organize the vanity.garden-tote.jpg

Pack lightly and in layers. Long underwear, cami, T, Sweater, hoodie, rainshell. Clothes can be worn more than once. Febreeze is your friend.

Plan on doing laundry. The Oosterdam has a clothesline in the bathroom. No public laundryroom. Bag special is $20. You can get a ton of stuff into that bag, roll your clothes tightly.

The over the door shoe organizer is perfect for cruising. You can use it to store toiletries, sunblock, hair accessories. With four people you can assign each person a row (smallest gets lowest row). Excellent way to stay organized. Be sure to get one with the clear plastic pockets, some come with a fabric material, but the clear pockets make for easy accessibility.

Laura

Formal Nights--

You can wear the same things to both formal nights or change things a bit.

Your hubby can wear the same suit and change out his shirt and tie (or just his tie). The gals can wear the same dress and change the accessories. Or the same bottom and different tops. It helps if the same shoes can be worn.

I bought a pop up hamper at the dollar store and it fit nicely on the floor of the closet. It holds a lot, one of those each for your girls would hold shoes, folded up hoodies, jackets etc, great for things other than laundry.

The over the door organizers are handy as well, but I would probably hang it on the wall where the robes are hung when you first enter your cabin. That way anything you need is easy to get to. After a day or so your girls may even have some suggestions to keep the clutter down.

Have a great cruise!

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I think liberal application of alcohol and chocolate will work nicely!:D

I think I need to find some pictures of the bathroom and closets on the Oosterdam.

I think clothing will be our biggest problem. Would a thing you hang from the closet that creates shelves be useful? I forgot what they call them. We will not be attending the formal dinners so will have less dressy clothes, but there will be four of us and we are doing many excursions.

Maybe a little help with the bathroom clutter.

Shoes too are a problem. Always!

Yes- a hanging shelving unit/closet organizer would likely assist you-- we have used both this & a shoe organizer in the closet. I think we got the compact shelves organizer for $2.99 & the shoe organizer was $0.99. A toiletry bag with a hook is also helpful for us-- it has the entire families toiletries in it- has 5 sections and unfolds down when opened. When we are going anywhere w/ tight quarters- we try to bring luggage that can store within each other (not optimal to bring 4 large suitcases that will not fit inside each other). We have had the steward take away the mini bar drinks vs placing them in a drawer when we need the space(assuming you dont want the minibar contents & will use it for other items). We try to give a certain area of drawers to each kid or adult-- ie if 6 yr old happens to only need small storage space - we will give him the nightstand or desk storage. If twins need lots of storage we will give them the lower half of the closet & DH upper half-- whatever works out best to keep everyones items in close proximity & not scattered about storage areas in the room.

Agree with the suggestion of wire hangers- we actually pack our clothes on wire or small plastic hangers & this makes unpacking a breeze- items are already hung & just put them on the rod. Also hang several shirts on one hanger for me and all pants on one hanger too. Remember to give 8 yr old storage space she can reach when unpacking. we typically have less shelves vs hanging space so works well for us to hang alot when possible.

We like only packing clothes for 3-5 days & just sending out laundry or washing a load of clothes mid trip. Especially when we have had rainy days-- also helps w/ checked luggage costs $$. We used to always bring WAY TOO much with us when traveling. THe luggage restrictions work well for not overpacking ;). Sometimes we use carryons on the floor of the closet for someones clothes if no more shelves are available. As others have posted shoe organizer works well for lots of misc items, undies, socks, shoes, binocs, small electronics, belts, hats, sunglasses.

Have Fun!

Another item I would bring with a family is a glass marker. I would leave notes for my daughter (or husband) on the mirror). For example, if you agreed to meet at the show at 8, but decide against it, there is no way of contacting the others in your party. A note on the glass is perfect. And they wash off very easily. You can also leave notes for your steward there.

Archived