Airline Baggage Fees???

It's been a couple years since I have flown a US airline and I was just doing some research, found a site that had a guide to airline fees, printed it out and found the only two airlines do not charge fees for checked baggage!!!! Southwest doesn't charge for 1st or 2nd bag and Jet Blue lets the 1st one on free! I am dumbfounded! I fly within Canada and to the Caribbean and haven't came across this yet, maybe it is just the airlines I use - I have heard that some of them charge for 2nd bag but not first unless, as I said, it is just the airline I use (WestJet within Canada - which allows 2 checked free and a carry on and charters to Caribbean). I've also read recently that Spirit is going to charge for carry on bags! So I guess when comparing fares, you also have to add in an extra $25-50 per person for luggage.

If it didn't take 24 hours to drive to Tampa from where we live - we'd be driving - we have in the past, but this time we have a daughter in college and booked this cruise on her winter break week so we don't have the extra time.

Just venting!!!

I HATE flying, nowadays...with the silly security, and the restrictions...it's just a royal pain anymore.

I'll drive if it's under 8 hours....that's about all I can easily manage....(Hate the "travel" part of going places!)

It's been a couple years since I have flown a US airline and I was just doing some research, found a site that had a guide to airline fees, printed it out and found the only two airlines do not charge fees for checked baggage!!!! Southwest doesn't charge for 1st or 2nd bag and Jet Blue lets the 1st one on free! I am dumbfounded! I fly within Canada and to the Caribbean and haven't came across this yet, maybe it is just the airlines I use - I have heard that some of them charge for 2nd bag but not first unless, as I said, it is just the airline I use (WestJet within Canada - which allows 2 checked free and a carry on and charters to Caribbean). I've also read recently that Spirit is going to charge for carry on bags! So I guess when comparing fares, you also have to add in an extra $25-50 per person for luggage.

If it didn't take 24 hours to drive to Tampa from where we live - we'd be driving - we have in the past, but this time we have a daughter in college and booked this cruise on her winter break week so we don't have the extra time.

Just venting!!!

Everyone has a right to vent and I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just going to try to put a different spin on it.

Air travel and the associated additional fee's are just the cost of travel today.

Todays cost of travel is still less than what it cost you to fly 20 - 30 years ago. A RT ticket back in the 80's was ~$300. Today,,that same RT ticket is ~$300. In 1980 you might fly in a wide body jet that was only half full. Today,,,the 737 is jammed full. In 1980, $300 was alot of money, not everyone could afford that kind of money. Today,,, most people can afford that $300 ticket. Equals more people fly.

Airlines had to learn how to stay in business flying people for $300. Faster, more fuel efficient jets, Less flights with all flights full. 1 less flight attendant, fewer meals (if any). Still losing money? crap, where are we going to generate more revenue? Baggage = weight, weight = more fuel consumption, more fuel consumption = more costs. Charge passengers for luggage.

Security is a pain, but a price I'm willing to pay

Next thing you know, they'll be charging per person by weight!

I'd rather they just up the fare instead of nickle and diming. On the cheap charter flights to the Caribbean we still get actual meals! Only restrictions on luggage is that each bag can't be over 50 lbs. The other Canadian airline I use still gives free pop, coffee, tea and peanuts but you have to pay for sandwices, etc. That's fine with me I can go without eating for 2-3 hours but I do need clothes. I can see with Spirit announcing a charge from carry-on bags, that the others will probably follow.

Got the answer for you

You want 1 easy fare that pays for:

A) Travel

B) 2 pieces of checked luggage free

c) carry on free

D) Nice meal free

E) all beverages free

F) Movies and headsets free

G) Priority boarding free

H) Assigned seats free

I) private/Priority security check point screening free

J) free unlimited bathroom

K) bigger/better seats free

FIRST CLASS

I've even paid for first class tickets for the same as coach before. Albiet only once or twice and it was like 2 days before my travel date.

Since today is the day, I will mention the dreaded "T" word. I heard that the airlines pay taxes on seat fares but not on these supplemental fees. So why would they have a a seat fare with all of the traditional perks and pay tax on the full amount, when they can split out the perks and save on taxes? I know, the taxes get passed on to us, but I am sure that is not why the airlines are doing this. Also, don't these taxes help pay for our security and other facilities at the airport??:confused:

I wouldn't mind paying the supplemental fees if the overall experience was comfortable but with smaller seats crammed in together and everyone breathing the same poorly circulated air, I just do not like flying any more. I would pay first class fare if I had an urgent flight, but for leisure travel, I would rather stay home. I cancelled a cruise to Hawaii because I dreaded the flight and the 16 hour travel day to get to the island. The cruise was to relax me but the flight back would have been too obnoxious, it would have wiped out the benefits of the trip. So the cruiseline lost out on a fare because of the airlines. I re-booked a R/T cruise from LA to Hawaii since I can handle the 4-5 hour flight. The cost was a little more but at least I won't get home all stressed out (I hope).

The airlines marketing gurus got us believing air travel was a safe, quick, comfortable, affordable way to travel available for everyone and then they took away those very components. They are solving a short term problem but poor service to their customers is not going to keep customers in the long term. What ever happened to competition based on good service to the customer? They are going to lose the volume of customers because people will look at other options in how to get there.

Sorry for the rant! :o

• 2 weeks later...
Got the answer for you

You want 1 easy fare that pays for:

A) Travel

B) 2 pieces of checked luggage free

c) carry on free

D) Nice meal free

E) all beverages free

F) Movies and headsets free

G) Priority boarding free

H) Assigned seats free

I) private/Priority security check point screening free

J) free unlimited bathroom (uh, yeah)

K) bigger/better seats free

FIRST CLASS

I've even paid for first class tickets for the same as coach before. Albiet only once or twice and it was like 2 days before my travel date.

I don't like it but I can see them charging for checked bags, meals,movies and all of the above with the exception of the carry on bag and yeah... the bathroom. If the airlines do follow Spirit I believe there will be a huge backlash and will hurt them in the end. I for one would be infuriated to have to pay for carry on and would figure at that point I would just check in bags and forget about lugging it around myself. Also I would hate to see a day where you will have to swipe your credit card to use the bathroom! :eek::(:mad:

Archived