Review of our Spring Break cruise on Carnival Dream

PaulMedik

Thanks, Paul - can't wait to hear more about the cabin - we are in 6496 = our daughter and SIL are in 6494. Anxious to hear about noise, etc.

Cheryl,

Noise wasn't bad over all. There were times throughout the week when loud people on the Lanai would intrude just a bit, but not bad.

The ship itself was quiet other than when using thusters, slowing down, or speeding up. When thrusters were used it sounded like an old lawn mower with no muffler was in the room with us, but we'd heard similar on other ships mainly on Carnival Freedom. The noise is created by vibration and the articles vibrating are in the cabins and can be adjusted somewhat to decrease the noise. We noticed one of the closet doors would sound like a chainsaw if closed, but made no noise once moved slightly. The bathroom door would also rattle if open, but was less noisy closed and closing it also muted the bathroom shelves when they rattled. The bathroom shelving is glass on metal so it makes a distinct clang. Glasses on the ice tray also go clickity clack and would likely crack if left close together during thruster maneuvers.

Noise from cabins near us was non existant. They were either quiet or it's well insulated because we never heard a peep. While on the balcony you can sometimes clearly hear conversations, but I'm not sure where they came from because Lanai would be empty at times when we'd hear them. My guess was the accoustics of the curved aft caused some stray echos from somewhere.

Cheryl,

Noise wasn't bad over all. There were times throughout the week when loud people on the Lanai would intrude just a bit, but not bad.

The ship itself was quiet other than when using thusters, slowing down, or speeding up. When thrusters were used it sounded like an old lawn mower with no muffler was in the room with us, but we'd heard similar on other ships mainly on Carnival Freedom. The noise is created by vibration and the articles vibrating are in the cabins and can be adjusted somewhat to decrease the noise. We noticed one of the closet doors would sound like a chainsaw if closed, but made no noise once moved slightly. The bathroom door would also rattle if open, but was less noisy closed and closing it also muted the bathroom shelves when they rattled. The bathroom shelving is glass on metal so it makes a distinct clang. Glasses on the ice tray also go clickity clack and would likely crack if left close together during thruster maneuvers.

Noise from cabins near us was non existant. They were either quiet or it's well insulated because we never heard a peep. While on the balcony you can sometimes clearly hear conversations, but I'm not sure where they came from because Lanai would be empty at times when we'd hear them. My guess was the accoustics of the curved aft caused some stray echos from somewhere.

Awesome! Thanks, Paul! I feel good about accepting the upgrade and very excited for our first Aft Balcony cabin!

Can't wait to read more of your awesome review!! But will have to wait til morning - I'm off to B E D!

Paul - where in WV you all from? We are originally from Western PA - and we were about 45 min from WV line and have traveled through your beautiful state numerous times going between FL and PA!! My favorite place is the Tamarac and the area around there - beautiful!

Have a good night! Thanks for taking the time for your review!

Paul - where in WV you all from? We are originally from Western PA - and we were about 45 min from WV line and have traveled through your beautiful state numerous times going between FL and PA!! My favorite place is the Tamarac and the area around there - beautiful!

Have a good night! Thanks for taking the time for your review!

Cheryl,

Thank you.

We live in Montgomery which is about mid way between Charleston and Tamarac. Karen and I grew up in Webster County which is North East from Montgomery. We've travelled through Western PA quite a few times and love the small town feel of the area; it's very similar to WV and the people are some of the best any where. Given the beauty of our PA and WV hills, I will accept the fact that we'll never have a close by cruise port! :) I guess Eastern PA has a few options though eh?

Great review. Glad to be able to see some before we left!

navybaby1113,

Thank you.

You can find a lot more pics from our Dream cruise by following the Webshots link in my signature. They are spread over seven albums and I'm still uploading, but there's over a thousand already uploaded. ;) I tried to separate the albums by port, sea days, pre, and post cruise along with pics we purchased.

demos,

It took some getting used to, but after all was said and done it did add a bit to our amusement and didn't detract from our relaxation which is the main thing. I won't be able to share pics of all the amusing activities we witnessed, but suffices to say there is a Lanai club similar to balcony clubs. I don't know whether we witnessed the initiation or just a couple of new members though.

That is too funny!!!!

navybaby1113,

Thank you.

You can find a lot more pics from our Dream cruise by following the Webshots link in my signature. They are spread over seven albums and I'm still uploading, but there's over a thousand already uploaded. ;) I tried to separate the albums by port, sea days, pre, and post cruise along with pics we purchased.

Thank you. I'll have to check them out tomorrow.

PaulMedik,

This may be early but did your 13yo son go to Circle C? My son and niece are both 13 and they will be in Circle C. I was hoping to give them a little information about the differences between Dream and the Conquest class ships.

thanks

PaulMedik,

This may be early but did your 13yo son go to Circle C? My son and niece are both 13 and they will be in Circle C. I was hoping to give them a little information about the differences between Dream and the Conquest class ships.

thanks

falconfan,

Yes, our nine year old Spencer lived at Circle C. Of all our boys, he's always been the least outgoing, but he enjoyed Circle C so much that we rarely got to speak with him. We stopped by the areas where they were several times each day just to check up on him without him seeing us and he appeared to be having the time of his life. Circle C on Dream basically is a two deck area where they have organized activities from noon until three each day. The main deck is deck four, but they do quite a bit on deck five as well. They follow a published schedule so it's easy to keep up with where they'll be at any given time.

Carnival Dream's Circle C seemed to offer a lot more and have more areas specifically for their activities than Conquest Class ships. They were also better segregated from the general ship population than on Conquest. Security is also always present to deter things from getting out of hand. If I was to pick out one aspect of Dream that was far above all others, it would likely be Circle C........well maybe the Spa as well. ;)

More More More. I don't have any patient's right now :D So I need something to read. (when does that EVER happen??) LOL

Jill,

Just take the bulb out of the light and you'll have plenty of time to read.

While you're waiting, CLICK HERE for a ringtone you might like. You'll wanna download it when you get home and put it on your iPhone. :) You will be hearing sounds like this CLICK HERE in under two hundred days! Yeah, I know they're both the wrong ship, but they're still nice to have on your phone.

I'll be in that cabin in TWO WEEKS!!!!!

Did you have any noise-related problems from the bar that was just underneath of your cabin?

John,

None at all. :) I think the comedy club stage is beneath deck 6 aft and the bar seems to be inset somewhat on the starboard side.

Not related to noise, but since you are in the same cabin one thing I would recommend is trying your key in the hallway door and verify that you can unlock it if you or anyone else shuts it. We left the hallway door (not our cabin door though it was open a lot) open all the time. I realize it may sound confusing if you haven't seen the entry way, but your cabin shares a hallway door with 6477 and the hallway door can be closed and locked. Other ships we've sailed also had the hallway door, but it was not a locking door, or if it was I don't recall that it was. :D

You may also have read about 'private stairs' or 'crew only' stairs from other reviews and I can verify that the stairs are present on Dream and I used them several times with no issues. I never once saw a single crew member in the stairwell and on other ships there was always crew members there.

I sent you an email a few days ago concerning your cabin. Haven't heard anything back. Not complaing. I know you have been busy. Do you know if the balcony divider between 6477 and 6479 can be removed? We are in 6477 and my brother in law is in 6479 when we sail on 8/21/10. I'm enjoying your review. Thanks!

I could go for a hot bologna sandwich from Benny's!!!

I sent you an email a few days ago concerning your cabin. Haven't heard anything back. Not complaing. I know you have been busy. Do you know if the balcony divider between 6477 and 6479 can be removed? We are in 6477 and my brother in law is in 6479 when we sail on 8/21/10. I'm enjoying your review. Thanks!

I could go for a hot bologna sandwich from Benny's!!!

the herd,

Hot balogna or an Al Burger would satisfy anyone!

Sorry about the email. You sent it when I was still on Dream didn't you?

No. The balcony divider opens and can be secured against the ship, but not removed.

Here is a picture of the divider between 6479 and 6477:

2495638630065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

Here's a pic of the lock;

2306564660065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

To open the lock you can lift on the bottom with your foot to relieve pressure and turn the inner lock with a Ford Key or any large key that will fit crossways in a square hole.

Here's a pic of your Brother in Law's balcony. There's a lounge chair directly beneith my camera in this picture ;

2394112490065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

Here's a pic of your Brother in Law's balcony as well as several others on deck 6 open for cleaning on our disembarkation day;

2220076560065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

;

Thanks for info and pictures. From what you said we should definitely be able to open the divider, right?? I sent the email thru your contact info on CruiseCritic. I think it was the day you disembarked or the next day. What's the web site ID for all your pictures?

Silly question ... how did you laminate the tags?

Not silly at all....we just fold as instructed and cover each side with clear packaging tape.

It adds strength AND should it be raining with the bags are being loaded...the info will not smear.....

mferris77,

Yes we did and yes Melbourne is a great airport to fly into. It was also $1300 cheaper than flying into Orlando and quite a bit closer too. We'll definately be looking for flights into Melbourne again.

It's a good thing for us that arriving 30 minutes early is OK because we got lost on the way there Sunday morning and arrived a lot later than we had planned! :o

Great info on the Melbourne airport.... I had never heard of it...we don't fly often...but when we do ...it is great to have options....

Thanks so much for starting the review.. was very much looking forward to it.. but I did take offense to your comments about obese people.. and you have now lost me.. actually thought alot more of you than that...very shallow enjoy the rest of the cruises you and your family take and I hope that obese people don't intrude on your vacations again:rolleyes:

He never said they intruded on his vacation....

he stated an honest observation about the obvious.....

I'm offended that you are offended. :rolleyes:

You have nothing to defend. You stated facts. If the passenger was so large as to disrupt service for the other passengers on the flight, that is certainly something to be mentioned. You did not ridicule them, take pictures of them (that I have seen) or do anything other than state what you witnessed. As a medical professional, I am sure you deal with obesity related injuries and deaths on a regular basis. Honestly, I probably would have written a letter and complained about all the inconveniences you experienced because they were not able to handle the size/weight of this person safely. I struggle with my weight every day, and apparently fall into the obese category, but I fit into a regular single airline seat and am able to carry my own weight around.

Can you imagine if there had been an emergency on board this plane?

Archived