Review of our Spring Break cruise on Carnival Dream

PaulMedik

I cannot wait to read the rest!!!! Great review so far!!:D

VernaCS,

Sorry to have to stop here, but I noticed your whale tail title and think I'll have to bestow a similar title on myself. Since you are the Unofficial VP of Removing Chair Hogs, you will see later that I fit the title of Unofficial VP of Recording Chair Hogs. Once we get to that part of the review, you tell me if you think I've earned it. :D If so, we'll have to coordinate our efforts to toss them all overboard!

KruznKel,

I am very sorry to have offended you. The original post was lost to cyberspace and I had to rewrite it. Perhaps I did not make the point clear enough that people had to move from the front of the place to the back for load balance on the flight to Charlotte, then on the same type of plane from Charlotte to Melbourn, there was no mention at all of anyone needing to move to the back to balance the load.

Additional comments were of statements made by airline emiployees and in no way reflected my opinion.

The only opinion I offered is that if I owned the airline, I would not have allowed them to fly simply because it was unsafe for their fellow passengers and crew. I have not reread my post and don't plan to, but I also stated that I would have paid to have them transported via ground to Melbourn. The people in question were not obese; they were beyond morbidly obese.

In my emergency medical career I spent a few years as a flight medic and our weight limit for patients was 250 pounds. As a 911 medic the largest patient I transported was just over 1100 pounds. I transported several patients in the six hundred pound range. With rare exceptions, each of these people were unable to walk due to their massive weight and my partner and I managed to lift and move them and transport them sometimes with assistance and sometimes without. Our stretchers were not rated to carry the weight we placed on them, but we HAD to transport them somehow. In the case of these people, they were on a commercial jet not designed to hold that much weight in one chair section and multiple crew members had to assist them on to the plane.

You have no clue what you are talking about when you say I do not have respect for obesity. I not only did not post pictures of them, I was careful to make sure they were not in any pictures I took. In no way did they interfere with my family or my vacation, nor did I imply they did. If you can't read what I wrote and see the irony, then you are reading with jaded lenses.

On a personal level, I weigh 242 pounds and I am 6 feet tall. Whip out a BMI calculator and you will notice that I fall into the category that you say I have issues with. Granted I would prefer to be at my ideal weight, but I am not. Why has our society evolved to a point where ironic comments can not be made involving a large person and not have someone be offended? Did I make fun of them? Did I inject humor at their expense? What exactly did I say that was offensive? Did I say they smelled bad or made odd noises? (I did not detect any odor nor did I hear them make any noise at all.) Honestly, the only thought I had was how can one plane need one person to move to the back when another plane of the same type had a lot more weight at the front and nothing was mentioned about people moving. One could take that thought further and assume they did not ask anyone to move for fear of offending the large passengers. If that's the case, I would hate to think that fear of offending someone prevented safe flight operations.

I am through defending the comments I made and can only offer my heartfelt apology for having offended you. I assure you it was not my intent. If you had been with us, you would have had similar thoughts perhaps? If I had only been on the one flight and had not witnessed the passenger relocation on the previous flight, I would not have given them a second thought.

Very well written, Paul. I am considered obese, part my fault, part not - and I in no way took what you wrote offensively.

Looking forward to more review!!! It is what is going to get me through the day! lol

Be Blessed!

KruznKel,

I am very sorry to have offended you. The original post was lost to cyberspace and I had to rewrite it. ....

Additional comments were of statements made by airline emiployees and in no way reflected my opinion.

The only opinion I offered is that if I owned the airline, I would not have allowed them to fly simply because it was unsafe for their fellow passengers and crew. ......

In my emergency medical career I spent a few years as a flight medic and our weight limit for patients was 250 pounds. As a 911 medic the largest patient I transported was just over 1100 pounds.

You have no clue what you are talking about when you say I do not have respect for obesity..... If you can't read what I wrote and see the irony, then you are reading with jaded lenses.

Why has our society evolved to a point where ironic comments can not be made involving a large person and not have someone be offended? Did I make fun of them? Did I inject humor at their expense? What exactly did I say that was offensive?

Nice defense, Paul. Nice pics of Port Canaveral. For those of you who don't want to drive or take a taxi up to the Cove restaurants, Zachary's is a great spot practically next door to all 3 hotels nearest the port, Greek and American food.

Now get some shuteye so you can take care of your patients and family. Us anxious CC readers can wait. Crew

Thanks for the great review and pics.....you are a great writer and you had me laughing.....As for the "obese" thing.....It is what it is.....When one person is the size of 2 or 3 people.....Hey people will notice.

I have lost 100 pounds over the last 1 and 1/2 years. I got my life back. When people are that big....it does become a co-dependancy. Someone is giving her all that food. I got myself in the pool and exercised.....so i wouldn't hurt myself....or my joints with all of my extra fat on "land".

Everyone makes decisions in their life....I choose to live......you don't see to many overly obese old people.

Carry on.....and please don't worry about offending anyone with your observations:D

kerri

After we left Ron Jon's we drove by the pier and an RCCL ship was in port;

2806083990065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

Here's what it looked like when I zoomed in closer;

2023033890065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

Now that is just HILARIOUS!!!!!!! Wish I had thought of it!!!

We will be on the Dream soon. Thanks for taking the time to do this wonderful review.

Loving your review & side bars, Paul. I leave on the Dream May 1st with about 200 of my now closest friends! We have a very active roll call with many activities planned. I am looking forward to your comments on the so called "smells" and lines at the lido buffet. I enjoy the buffet for breakfast & lunch. There were lines on the Glory & Conquest but not something I would have even thought to include in a review. Just a little time to talk to fellow cruisers in line. Looking forward to more.

Thank you so much for writing a review. You are definitely a writer, photographer, and comedian! I can't wait to read the rest, but from here on in I will not have anything to drink when I read - don't want to clean up the spray after I read some of your comments.

VernaCS,

Sorry to have to stop here, but I noticed your whale tail title and think I'll have to bestow a similar title on myself. Since you are the Unofficial VP of Removing Chair Hogs, you will see later that I fit the title of Unofficial VP of Recording Chair Hogs. Once we get to that part of the review, you tell me if you think I've earned it. :D If so, we'll have to coordinate our efforts to toss them all overboard!

We could have used both of your talents last week on the Valor. I have never seen the chair hogs out in such force.....really pi$$ed me off.

Have read your past reviews, Paul and have thoroughly enjoyed each of them,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,soooooooooooooooooooo....write on!!!....as time allows!!

Dave

mferris77,

Yes we did and yes Melbourne is a great airport to fly into. It was also $1300 cheaper than flying into Orlando and quite a bit closer too. We'll definately be looking for flights into Melbourne again.

It's a good thing for us that arriving 30 minutes early is OK because we got lost on the way there Sunday morning and arrived a lot later than we had planned! :o

Paul also check Daytona Beach if you're flying via Charlotte. It was cheaper for us in Feb. than Melbourne.

Guess you had to wait until Saturday morning to see the Dollar General store docked in Pt. Canaveral. Or was that a double wide sitting there looking all purty?

Thanks so much for starting the review.. was very much looking forward to it.. but I did take offense to your comments about obese people.. and you have now lost me.. actually thought alot more of you than that...very shallow enjoy the rest of the cruises you and your family take and I hope that obese people don't intrude on your vacations again:rolleyes:

Me too! how horrible. I'll still read your review, but come on! Have a little respect or dignity or something.

Now that is just HILARIOUS!!!!!!! Wish I had thought of it!!!

We will be on the Dream soon. Thanks for taking the time to do this wonderful review.

That is HYSTERICAL!!

I am through defending the comments I made and can only offer my heartfelt apology for having offended you. I assure you it was not my intent. If you had been with us, you would have had similar thoughts perhaps? If I had only been on the one flight and had not witnessed the passenger relocation on the previous flight, I would not have given them a second thought.

You have nothing to defend. You stated facts. If the passenger was so large as to disrupt service for the other passengers on the flight, that is certainly something to be mentioned. You did not ridicule them, take pictures of them (that I have seen) or do anything other than state what you witnessed. As a medical professional, I am sure you deal with obesity related injuries and deaths on a regular basis. Honestly, I probably would have written a letter and complained about all the inconveniences you experienced because they were not able to handle the size/weight of this person safely. I struggle with my weight every day, and apparently fall into the obese category, but I fit into a regular single airline seat and am able to carry my own weight around.

lollylew,

I work the next two days so I won't get much posted, but promise to get more accomplished Wednesday. On days that I work I only have an hour of time off each day so please be patient. ;)

Take your time! No rush :D

KruznKel,

I am very sorry to have offended you. The original post was lost to cyberspace and I had to rewrite it. Perhaps I did not make the point clear enough that people had to move from the front of the place to the back for load balance on the flight to Charlotte, then on the same type of plane from Charlotte to Melbourn, there was no mention at all of anyone needing to move to the back to balance the load.

The only opinion I offered is that if I owned the airline, I would not have allowed them to fly simply because it was unsafe for their fellow passengers and crew. I have not reread my post and don't plan to, but I also stated that I would have paid to have them transported via ground to Melbourn. The people in question were not obese; they were beyond morbidly obese.

In my emergency medical career I spent a few years as a flight medic and our weight limit for patients was 250 pounds. As a 911 medic the largest patient I transported was just over 1100 pounds. I transported several patients in the six hundred pound range. With rare exceptions, each of these people were unable to walk due to their massive weight and my partner and I managed to lift and move them and transport them sometimes with assistance and sometimes without. Our stretchers were not rated to carry the weight we placed on them, but we HAD to transport them somehow. In the case of these people, they were on a commercial jet not designed to hold that much weight in one chair section and multiple crew members had to assist them on to the plane.

You have no clue what you are talking about when you say I do not have respect for obesity. I not only did not post pictures of them, I was careful to make sure they were not in any pictures I took. In no way did they interfere with my family or my vacation, nor did I imply they did. If you can't read what I wrote and see the irony, then you are reading with jaded lenses.

On a personal level, I weigh 242 pounds and I am 6 feet tall. Whip out a BMI calculator and you will notice that I fall into the category that you say I have issues with. Granted I would prefer to be at my ideal weight, but I am not. Why has our society evolved to a point where ironic comments can not be made involving a large person and not have someone be offended? Did I make fun of them? Did I inject humor at their expense? What exactly did I say that was offensive? Did I say they smelled bad or made odd noises? (I did not detect any odor nor did I hear them make any noise at all.) Honestly, the only thought I had was how can one plane need one person to move to the back when another plane of the same type had a lot more weight at the front and nothing was mentioned about people moving. One could take that thought further and assume they did not ask anyone to move for fear of offending the large passengers. If that's the case, I would hate to think that fear of offending someone prevented safe flight operations.

Thanks for the explanation not necessary.. too each their own with these reviews.. you said you hoped you didn't offend anyone.. and I just stated that you did offend me... now that .. that is over with.. I was not asking or looking for a defence on your side... (I just wish my hockey team had one and made it to the playoffs):p

So excited that you returned from your cruise and have started to post a review. We were skiing in Colorado, and had very limited computer access. Welcome back Paul and family and "let the games begin"!!!! Your reviews influence our future cruise decisions. Well Done!!!!!

Thank you all for your kind comments. I really wish they'd get better satellite internet speed on board so I could post a live review with pics. I could adjust them to less resolution to make the file sizes smaller, but it would still take too much bandwidth at current speeds to upload them all.

Thanks for the explanation not necessary.. too each their own with these reviews.. you said you hoped you didn't offend anyone.. and I just stated that you did offend me... now that .. that is over with.. I was not asking or looking for a defence on your side... (I just wish my hockey team had one and made it to the playoffs):p

KruznKel,

I have to confess that I lied in my explanation; I weighed myself at work today on two separate scales and I do not weigh 242.....I weigh 248! :o Time for me to get serious about getting in shape because my weight is offending me. :eek: It's a bad feeling to offend others, but rather sickening even for a shallow person like me to offend myself. :D

Archived