Airflight same day as cruise departure?

goingtosnorkel

I am just off a cruise last week. I flew to Miami 2 days prior(on a Friday) and my luggage was lost. I had a 2 hour layover in Atlanta so really no reason my luggage should not have made the flight. Anyway I didn't get it back til Sunday morning, the day I was to leave on the cruise. So delayed flights are not the only thing to worry about. I always go 2 days in advance and this is why.

It's all based on the kind of traveller you are. My first two cruises I flew in the morning of the cruise and had no problems at all. Perfect trip.

Then I started working for an airline as a gate agent in San Diego (worked flights to Seattle - two cruise ports). Major problems. All. the. time. Many of them could be resolved, many of them could not. San Diego has the best weather in the country, but we had weather delays often certain times of year. Flying anywhere in the South during summer time ... thunderstorms. You will have weather delays on a regular basis!

So... I am flying in a day early for my cruise next week.

It all depends on what kind of person you are. Some people hate to plan ahead - some people love it. Personally, I think it's worth going the night before, relaxing, getting on the ship refreshed and EARLY (hey, they are serving lunch that you've already paid for!). I like to get on the ship early to explore it before it becomes packed with other guests doing the same thing.

More times than not, you will be fine flying in the day of your cruise. But the problem is: if you miss your connection, have a flight delay or cancellation, or your luggage is lost ... what are your options then? It's not worth the risk to me. But it might be to you... either way, good luck!

I think the chance of another volcano errupting is slight. Of course anything in the world can happen, you can get hit by a car walking across the street, war can break out, e.t.c. I think you just have to way the chances. I prob. wouldn't attempt this in winter time when weather can affect travel but in May I feel like I have a pretty good chance of be just fine. I could afford to go a day early but frankly I didnt want to waste my time or money arriving a day early. Even if my connecting flight is running late for whatever reason I still have until 6 pm to arrive at the boat. If all goes well that gives me 8 and half hours to get there. I'm just not stressing out about it. In stead of planning for the worse I choose to hope for the best and if something bad does happen you just deal with the situation and not let it ruin your vacation

FYI, if you are travelling from a U.S. Port, due to homeland security regulations most cruise lines REQUIRE that you be on board the ship at least 90 minutes before sailing, so therefor you need to arrive at the port at least two hours prior or you would likely be denied boarding (they are very strict about this as it is due to homeland security regulations). Therefore if your ship is scheduled to sail at 6pm, you need to be at the cruise terminal by 4pm. I am not sure about the requirements in ports outside of the U.S., but it is doubtful you could just stroll up to the terminal shortly before the ship is scheduled to set sail.

I am having to fly out the same day also, so I have purchased air through RCCL. Surely they will put me on the earliest flight possible right? No need to worry about the cruise line putting me on a late flight?

Hi, don't count on the cruise line putting you on the best flight. I booked with RCI a few weeks ago and discovered, by my doing my own research, that they booked a flight for me that comes in 10 minutes AFTER the last shuttle bus is supposed to leave. After many phone calls, with the cruise line saying the shuttle will wait the extra 10 minutes for us, they finally agreed to move our flights earlier. However, they will only split the difference with me, costing us another $400. But I would rather pay $400 than miss the boat. Keeping fingers crossed and prayers lifted up that we make the boat in time.

Good luck.

Hi, don't count on the cruise line putting you on the best flight. I booked with RCI a few weeks ago and discovered, by my doing my own research, that they booked a flight for me that comes in 10 minutes AFTER the last shuttle bus is supposed to leave. After many phone calls, with the cruise line saying the shuttle will wait the extra 10 minutes for us, they finally agreed to move our flights earlier. However, they will only split the difference with me, costing us another $400. But I would rather pay $400 than miss the boat. Keeping fingers crossed and prayers lifted up that we make the boat in time.

Good luck.

Just another reason why I don't book cruise air. However, Princess is coming out with a new plan. I haven't read all the details, but it looks like it might be interesting.

I think the chance of another volcano errupting is slight. Of course anything in the world can happen, you can get hit by a car walking across the street, war can break out, e.t.c. I think you just have to way the chances. I prob. wouldn't attempt this in winter time when weather can affect travel but in May I feel like I have a pretty good chance of be just fine. I could afford to go a day early but frankly I didnt want to waste my time or money arriving a day early. Even if my connecting flight is running late for whatever reason I still have until 6 pm to arrive at the boat. If all goes well that gives me 8 and half hours to get there. I'm just not stressing out about it. In stead of planning for the worse I choose to hope for the best and if something bad does happen you just deal with the situation and not let it ruin your vacation

Good way of looking at it. I'm flying the morning of the cruise. I booked a 7:25 flight from Atlanta, landing in FLL at 9:14, nonstop. I chose the earliest one so I wouldn't worry.

I'm not too worried. Now, the day of, I'll probably be a ball of nerves til we land.LOL

I agree with flying in the day before, but it's not always possible. One time I was scheduled to fly in the day before (leaving Seattle for Copenhagen), and the flight was overbooked so I accepted $600 cash to fly the next day in First Class. Nice flight, but when they had trouble finding my luggage (it had arrived the day before on my original flight), I nearly missed the ship. Had it come to that, I would have just taken a taxi to the port with my carry-on and taken my chances on luggage catching up. Because of that, I'd be unlikely to fly "the day of" again.

But if I did fly day of:

That is one reason I either travel with carry-on luggage only (a backpack plus a 20 inch rollaboard), or take those two items on board packed with enough items to last a week, and then check another bag with "extras."

Another strategy is to book a fully refundable airfare from the embarkation city to the first port. That way, should you miss the embarkation, you have a back-up plan readily available to catch up. If you make the sail way on schedule - cancel and get the airfare refunded.

Often, we are so busy looking for the lowest cost/best value airfare that we forget that we can still buy fully refundable fares, usually more expensive but better than missing your cruise, and might even be covered by your insurance.

I agree with flying in the day before, but it's not always possible. One time I was scheduled to fly in the day before (leaving Seattle for Copenhagen), and the flight was overbooked so I accepted $600 cash to fly the next day in First Class.

I am curious as to how you managed to fly SEA-CPH the same day of your cruise and arrive on time to board the ship. I have never taken a TATL from SEA and not had to leave the day before.

I appreate all the people who put in thier comments for Pro vs Con. I fly quite a bit at least 4-6x a year and being from Alaska. I get used to mechanical problems, Weather issues, even birds out on the tarmac can create a issue.

One time I was flying from Anchorage to Los Angeles and the plane was cancelled. I was put on another flight about 5 hours later and had to be re routed. I was house sitting and called the people I was house sitting for and we worked it out. But if I was flying to get on a cruise ship I would never have made it.

I also never check my luggage when im flying some place. I might check it when im coming home. But never going out. Thats another problem what if you make it to the airport but your luggage does not? lolol

Good luck everyone and I hope everyone makes thier flights that they want.

Adri :)

I am curious as to how you managed to fly SEA-CPH the same day of your cruise and arrive on time to board the ship. I have never taken a TATL from SEA and not had to leave the day before.

I think they were saying that the flight arrived (not departed) the same day of the cruise.

I think they were saying that the flight arrived (not departed) the same day of the cruise.

Must be, because I don't know of any flights that leave SEA and get to Europe on the same day. Too bad!

Archived