Airflight same day as cruise departure?

goingtosnorkel

have done this when we cruise out of LA...quick easy flight, but even then i WORRY so probably wouldnt do it again and come in the day before...

but if you CANT YOU CANT and i just WISH YOU LUCK and HOPE EVERYTHING WORKs OUT THAT DAY!!!

Leaving Tampa port - going on Carnival Legend ship.

Port of Tampa is only 7.5 miles from the Airport. If your flight is on time, you will be fine. Cab fare is $26 to the port for up to 4 people. CCL also offers a shuttle.

My one travel tip would be to cross pack your suitcase with the person that you are traveling with. In other words, put half of your clothes, swim suits and shoes in your suitcase and half in your travel partners. Same for them. This way if the airlines were to misplace one of the bags then you would still have some clothing to cruise with. The worst that would happen would be that you may have to do a load of laundry while on the ship. I got this tip from another poster and plan on using it when we sail the Legend in Oct.

Have a great cruise. Cari :)

Although delays are an issue, my TA also warned me that flights are being cancelled a lot lately (I guess due to not being full), so she begged me to fly in a day early for my cruise out of Fort Lauderdale this May. That is something you should consider. Since it seems you are not able to leave earlier, I would get to the airport as early as possible the day of your departure so you can find another flight in the event of a cancellation. The other potential issue is overbooking. Again, if you check in early, you should have a seat.

Although delays are an issue, my TA also warned me that flights are being cancelled a lot lately (I guess due to not being full), so she begged me to fly in a day early for my cruise out of Fort Lauderdale this May. That is something you should consider. Since it seems you are not able to leave earlier, I would get to the airport as early as possible the day of your departure so you can find another flight in the event of a cancellation. The other potential issue is overbooking. Again, if you check in early, you should have a seat.

Airlines do not cancel flights because they aren't full. Most planes are in use all day. They need to get from one airport to the next, so they can be used for the next flight. Personally, I never, ever would fly in the day of the cruise, especially if I had a connection. Each time you stop, you increase your chances of a problem. Good luck.

I'm flying in the same day of my cruise too.

Our flight leaves Toronto at 8:40 and arrives in Newark at 10:04. Port is Cape Liberty.

Ship sails at 5:00. Plenty of time I think ... we've given ourselves about a 4 - 5 hour window of space to cover delays ... Still you never know. I wish I had booked a flight the night before.

You will probably be OK but keep in mind that if you're cruising during the winter months, that is when the delays often happen because of rain and snow so maybe next time, leaving the day or so before, might ease one's mind a bit! When we fly to Rome about 2 years ago, I'm glad we didn't fly in the day of - after almost 19 hours on the plane and with a delay in Atlanta, we just wanted to get to the hotel and fall asleep - the next day, we were all refreshed and ready to go on our cruise!

I'm leaving from Los Angeles going to Venice to meet my cruise ship Costa Victoria on May 21st. I land in venice at 9:30 am and the ship doesnt leave until 6 pm so i'm not really worried about missing the boat.

You must have at least one connection; I don't know of any nonstop flights LAX-VCE. Hopefully, all will go well for you and everything will depart and arrive on time.

9 out of 10 cruises I flew the same day to the Port. Nothing bad has happened.

1 out 10 cruises I was cool and relaxed. You guess which one it was.

For that reason only, it pays to fly over the day before. Just for the peace of mind.

First.......Congratulations on your cruise!

We have flown the same day from West Coast to FL. We missed Sail Away and had to rush for dinner. Being our first cruise we didn't know we could have relaxed and had a burger or pizza elsewhere on the ship.

That being said...........I would give myself the edge for more time by taking carry on luggage only. It is very easy to do. We take carry on for 14 plus days. It is so nice to get off the plane and have everything with you......no waiting for your luggage. Another plus.....when you get off the ship you can carry off and be one of the first off!

I promise you will not wear everything you think you will. It is alright to wear things more than a couple times. You will probably buy t-shirts as souvineres so leave out a couple of your own!

Most of all...........Take a deep breath, relax and have a wonderful hard earned vacation. Everything will be just fine!

No! No! No! Please fly in the day before!!! I am a flight attendant and work flights weekly to Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, and occasionally to Tampa and San Juan, so I know what I'm talking about. Anything can happen and you need to give yourself enough time in case the unexpected happens. What can go wrong? This can.

*I once worked a flight to Houston. We closed the cabin doors a few minutes early, and the captain asked us to reopen the doors to let a family on. They had to drive from Houston to Galveston to catch their ship. If they had not made that flight, they would have missed their cruise. They were late to the gate and if they would have gotten there literally 1 more minute later, we would have already pushed back from the gate and they would have been screwed. Also this is an exception to the rule. Once that cabin door is closed, it does not reopen until the final destination. In my 4 years of being a flight attendant, I can count on one hand how many times we've done this.

*On another flight, we had a major mechanical issue with the plane. After 5 hours of waiting, it was determined the plane could not fly. A lady and her daughter had a connecting flight after that one to Ft. Lauderdale to catch a ship. My airline ended up booking her on another airline with a nonstop flight, but she still had to go outside of security to claim her bags, recheck them at the next airline terminal, and make her way through security again. I was praying that she would make it.

*I've seen an oversold flight to Seattle where they asked for 5 volunteers to give up their seats and take a later flight. A family of 5 agreed, allowing the MANY Alaska cruise ship passengers to stay on board. If there had been no volunteers, passengers would have been bumped off the flight. All airlines oversell flights, which I don't agree with, but it is what it is and you don't want that to happen to you the day of your sailing.

*If you are leaving from or making a connecting flight in a large airport like Atlanta, Philadelphia, or NYC, there is a good chance your flight will be delayed because these airports are so busy. Throw in an hour of thunderstorms and lightning, and you will likely be at least 2 hours late.

*You may be late and it's not the airline's fault. Life happens and if you miss your flight, you'll have to go stand by on the next one. I recommend booking early morning flights so if this does happen, you'll have options of other flights. Don't take the last flight at night either.

I can go on and on! I got a room on priceline for my last cruise for $50. That extra little bit of money is worth the security of knowing if the unexpected happens, you have a large cushion of time. Also, your first day of your cruise will be busy. With everything that comes with air travel these days, you'll be tired as soon as you get on the ship. Again, spend an extra $50, get there a day early, have an extra day of vacation, and on embarkation day, sleep in, have a big breakfast, and be well rested for your day 1. I hope this helps!!!

So much highlight of flight experiences from a flight attendants point of view and for what ???? The OP said they COULD NOT CHANGE and fly in a day earlier !

5 years ago, similar issues could have occured and people flew into their cruise departing port on the same day.....why do you think it has changed THAT MUCH ???

I know flights are cancelled, but usually due to weather or equipment issues... same thing it could have been years ago vs. what it is today.

Too much worrying about this when nothing can be done.... just make sure you have proper trip insurance and you will have a back up plan right there alone !

And as an FYI.... I have had clients that have used the theory of flying in 1 day early on two recent occassions (Oct. 2009 and March 2010).... guess what ??? Both flights were cancelled due to weather (gee that could have happened years ago too !) and the airline could not get them to the dpearture port in time for their cruise the next day either ! Luckily.... they had trip insurance and recovered their financial loss.

Some people can fly in early and that is great but it still does not guarantee anything. Some people just cannot take off work or perhaps cannot afford the additional expenses to fly in 1 - 2 days before their cruise..... In the end, it's what you are comfortable with and if you can take the additional day(s) away from your usual schedule or time off work and what the budget can afford.

OP.... So much "doom and gloom" here on this forever debated topic .....It is very realistic to say you will be fine in making your cruise...could be a little stressful perhaps, but very doable !

Travelntreats, there is no need to be rude or disrespectful to me. I know they said they can't change their circumstances. However, many more people that can will read this board wondering the same thing. This was meant to help others because many people who are inexperienced travelers honestly don't know. I'm free to share my opinion just like you and everyone else.

What port are you sailing from? What ship will you be on?

The first year I went on a cruise I flew out on the same day from Indianapolis and arrived in Orlando at about 10:15. After coming over to the main terminal and getting my bags, I set up my shuttle to the ship. I had to wait around in the airport until they called my number and I was on one of the last shuttles to leave which was at about 1:00 so we arrived at the cruise terminal at 2. I was one of the last people to board the ship. I just know there was almost no other passengers at the check in desk & I missed lunch. You might want to check out flight insurance just for the flight down as you never know what weather you may get. Most airports in Florida are close to the ports, 20 minutes or less by cab but Orlando is the exception since you have to go over to Port Canaveral 50 miles away. But if the flight is delayed the ship will not wait for you to arrive and you are then responsible for flying to the first port to meet the ship. There is an 800 number for Carnival that you can call if you are delayed and will miss the ship but still want to meet them at the 1st stop.

So much highlight of flight experiences from a flight attendants point of view and for what ???? The OP said they COULD NOT CHANGE and fly in a day earlier !

There are other people reading this thread besides the OP.

I. for one, appreciate Kimberly's insight...thank you gapearl!!

Travelntreats, there is no need to be rude or disrespectful to me. I know they said they can't change their circumstances. However, many more people that can will read this board wondering the same thing. This was meant to help others because many people who are inexperienced travelers honestly don't know. I'm free to share my opinion just like you and everyone else.

There are other people reading this thread besides the OP.

I. for one, appreciate Kimberly's insight...thank you gapearl!!

Never was meant as an attack on valuable info from gapearl.... just that there are two sides of the coin and each passenger has to weigh out what works for them and deal with it the best they can. Flying in 1 - 2 days early is always suggested when possible, but IS NOT by anymeans FULL PROOF as shown in my examples.

Just as you stated... others may learn from YOUR SUGGESTIONS/EXPERIENCES as they could from MY EXPERIENCES

Chilll out, both of you !

No! No! No! Please fly in the day before!!! I am a flight attendant and work flights weekly to Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, and occasionally to Tampa and San Juan, so I know what I'm talking about. Anything can happen and you need to give yourself enough time in case the unexpected happens. What can go wrong? This can.

*I once worked a flight to Houston. We closed the cabin doors a few minutes early, and the captain asked us to reopen the doors to let a family on. They had to drive from Houston to Galveston to catch their ship. If they had not made that flight, they would have missed their cruise. They were late to the gate and if they would have gotten there literally 1 more minute later, we would have already pushed back from the gate and they would have been screwed. Also this is an exception to the rule. Once that cabin door is closed, it does not reopen until the final destination. In my 4 years of being a flight attendant, I can count on one hand how many times we've done this.

*On another flight, we had a major mechanical issue with the plane. After 5 hours of waiting, it was determined the plane could not fly. A lady and her daughter had a connecting flight after that one to Ft. Lauderdale to catch a ship. My airline ended up booking her on another airline with a nonstop flight, but she still had to go outside of security to claim her bags, recheck them at the next airline terminal, and make her way through security again. I was praying that she would make it.

*I've seen an oversold flight to Seattle where they asked for 5 volunteers to give up their seats and take a later flight. A family of 5 agreed, allowing the MANY Alaska cruise ship passengers to stay on board. If there had been no volunteers, passengers would have been bumped off the flight. All airlines oversell flights, which I don't agree with, but it is what it is and you don't want that to happen to you the day of your sailing.

*If you are leaving from or making a connecting flight in a large airport like Atlanta, Philadelphia, or NYC, there is a good chance your flight will be delayed because these airports are so busy. Throw in an hour of thunderstorms and lightning, and you will likely be at least 2 hours late.

*You may be late and it's not the airline's fault. Life happens and if you miss your flight, you'll have to go stand by on the next one. I recommend booking early morning flights so if this does happen, you'll have options of other flights. Don't take the last flight at night either.

I can go on and on! I got a room on priceline for my last cruise for $50. That extra little bit of money is worth the security of knowing if the unexpected happens, you have a large cushion of time. Also, your first day of your cruise will be busy. With everything that comes with air travel these days, you'll be tired as soon as you get on the ship. Again, spend an extra $50, get there a day early, have an extra day of vacation, and on embarkation day, sleep in, have a big breakfast, and be well rested for your day 1. I hope this helps!!!

This is one of the best posts I've ever read on these boards about this topic.

Some people .... or perhaps cannot afford the additional expenses to fly in 1 - 2 days before their cruise

If you can't afford a night's hotel stay the day before, you can't afford the cruise.

...It is very realistic to say you will be fine in making your cruise

You cannot predict this.

If you can't afford a night's hotel stay the day before, you can't afford the cruise.

It's NOT always a matter of affording it... some folks have ties to work or other reasons they cannot fly in a day early ! Your above remark is pointless and also RUDE !

You cannot predict this.

I have had those flights as the OP has arranged MANY TIMES and NEVER have a missed a ship flying in the day of sailing with that much cushion... I am prediciting based on my experiences and facts that this flight should allow OP plenty of time to make their cruise (assuming no delays) !

I have had those flights as the OP has arranged MANY TIMES and NEVER have a missed a ship flying in the day of sailing with that much cushion... I am prediciting based on my experiences and facts that this flight should allow OP plenty of time to make their cruise (assuming no delays)

Look at your phrase that I've underlined. That's the precise point of this thread. No one can assume that there won't be delays. I've had relatively short domestic flights with delays and/or cancellations that resulted in my arriving at my destination 10 hours later than scheduled; and those were on non-stop flights. The OP has a connection.

It's NOT always a matter of affording it... some folks have ties to work or other reasons they cannot fly in a day early ! Your above remark is pointless and also RUDE !

I didn't address any issue other than affordability. My remark is very much to the point.

Well... let's just agree to disagree... I see things differently than you but hope the OP makes their cruise and will stand by my beliefs and I too would attempt that flight with minimal worry....Just my 2 cents that I like you am entitled to provide !

End of discussion between you and I :)

I am having to fly out the same day also, so I have purchased air through RCCL. Surely they will put me on the earliest flight possible right? No need to worry about the cruise line putting me on a late flight?

One of the reasons I will not book cruise air is because the cruise lines will put you on any old flight and if you don't make it, that is your problem.

I'm leaving from Los Angeles going to Venice to meet my cruise ship Costa Victoria on May 21st. I land in venice at 9:30 am and the ship doesnt leave until 6 pm so i'm not really worried about missing the boat.

Neither were any of the people whose flights were canceled earlier this month.

Thanks Colomom & Sullaraffaello for the positive feedback. I have an inside perspective that many travelers, even some travel agents, don't hear about, and I hope this can help answer questions for future cruisers. This post was by no means meant to scare anyone, but to just offer a reminder that you do want to give yourself plenty of time. On my last cruise, we drove to the port instead of flying, and still left a day early.

I have seen a couple posters recommend travel insurance because of the tight window the OP has. While travel insurance is generally a good thing to have, in this situation most (if not all) travel insurance policies would give no relief. Generally to cover travel delay costs, there has to be a delay of six hours or more (this number varies from policy to policy, but is typical figure). No travel insurance policies that I know of provide relief if you do not allot yourself at least a couple of hours of wiggle room. So if your plane is two hours late and you miss the cruise because of this delay, few (if any) travel insurance policies will cover you. It is only when a plane is six or more hours delayed that most policies start to extend some benefits.

I think the OP's concerns, although she cannot change her circumstances, are valid -- she merely needs reassurance. I've never been on a cruise, myself, and have only just started searching this thread because we're headed to the Mediterranean next year. I'm learning the ropes by coming to threads like this one. Oh, and this is my first post, too, mainly to let everyone know how much I appreciate your insight and taking the time to provide such great detail (especially gapearl's note). While a couple of posts here have an impatient (even cavelier) tone, most give sound advice based on real-life examples. Again, thank you all! :)

Archived