Buying Liquor on Port Policies

dalitos

First of all, I know alcohol and alcohol policies is a touchy subject.. just asking for the facts. I hardly drink but my husband likes a strong drink here and there so just wondering.

I know boarding allows for 2 bottles of wine per stateroom, no hard liquor.

What happens on port? Can we buy liquor and bring it back on board, either to drink it or for pick up after the cruise is over? Is there a regulation on how much we can bring?

Thanks.

You technically can't bring on any liquour but that doesn't mean they're going to take it in every port. Some cruises are going to be more liberal than others and it would also depend on timing. Around Spring Break they'll be taking everything. It's definitely a crap shoot bringing it on in port.

Cruise ship contract says you cannot bring alcohol aboard at any port. If you do, they will take it until the last night of the cruise. By the way, this inspection is done by the ship security, not the port officials. Two bottles of wind is permitted during the first day of embarkation, but not at any port stops. Two bottles per stateroom per cruise. No other alcohol permitted, and I understand they are being very careful now in checking luggage.

To clarify, you can bring liquor on board the ship from any port - the ship personnel will then take it from you and keep it until the night before departure and return it then for you to take off the ship with you. As to amounts, I believe you are allowed one liter each person, US citizens bringing back into the US Duty Free.

This ship also has a liquor store with a good selection. Some think the prices are competitive, others say they can beat it in port, and back home.

Denny

Thanks everybody! Good to know we can bring something and have it returned to us at the end of the cruise, if we find something interesting / good price on port.

We don't want it to drink on board, much prefer to just get a drink from the bar and enjoy it in some nice lounge or bar.

Thanks everybody! Good to know we can bring something and have it returned to us at the end of the cruise, if we find something interesting / good price on port.

We don't want it to drink on board, much prefer to just get a drink from the bar and enjoy it in some nice lounge or bar.

Nice and agree. We sometimes buy a local liquor just for the fun of it - got some Pisco in Chile, Ouzo in Rhodes... - that type of thing.

Denny

Get the price in writing and the ship store will match it.

We purchased in St, Martin and carried our overloaded box on board. They had a table by the front elevator (Solstice) where they took and stored the box which was delivered on the final night. Probably could have sneaked by with a single bottle if you looked innocent enough since the collection table was separated from the inspection station. No one made a major issue - the box did stand out, however.

Usually the stores have a page of prices on them which is good enough.

Ask when you board and the ship store opens.

Thanks, sounds great.

New question from DH: Do you or anyone know if we buy a bottle on the ship store, is it only delivered to us at the end of the cruise or are we allowed to take it to the room?

When you buy froim the Ships Store, it is also delvered the night before arrival.

You can purchase bottles of liquor at the 'Shop Celebrity' silte on the website before boarding and have bottle(s) of your liquor for use in your room. They vary from $80 - $100 per bottle. Not cheap. The 'Shop Celebrity' is located at the bottom of the website listings and is hwer you can order a lot of gifts and stuff as you wish prior to the cruise.

Denny

You can purchase bottles of liquor at the 'Shop Celebrity' silte on the website before boarding and have bottle(s) of your liquor for use in your room. They vary from $80 - $100 per bottle. Not cheap.

LOL, I was just checking out this page, some (if not all) of the prices are ridiculous. I guess we would be paying as if we were buying per drink on the bar? USD 80 for Absolute?! That's about x4 what it should cost.

LOL, I was just checking out this page, some (if not all) of the prices are ridiculous. I guess we would be paying as if we were buying per drink on the bar? USD 80 for Absolute?! That's about x4 what it should cost.

One of the jewelry stores on the French side of St. Maarten that sold Absolute for $8 per bottle -- liters. It was a great deal.

One of the jewelry stores on the French side of St. Maarten that sold Absolute for $8 per bottle -- liters. It was a great deal.

I was going to calculate on USD 13 per bottle, I think that's the last we paid on the duty free, but figured I'd go with a USD 20 range. :)

Archived