FYI: Answer to Steakhouse Tips Question

Solo1959

However this is where the tips question gets interesting.

We are encouraged to add something to the tip if we thought the service was very good.

Since we have no clue how much of the service charge is the tip have no idea where we are starting from. For some reason this is a state secret.

In the past when we have gone to the steakhouse have added to the tip but in the future will rethink this.

two weeks ago on the Conquest, Guest Services told me that "tipping was customary" in the steakhouse

That's kind of why I looked into it. Customary doesn't by any definition mean that it is not already included in the price you paid for it. Guest Services often doesn't have accurate information and gives their best guess answer that sounds reasonable.

So, yes, it might be customary in that it has become the custom, but with this new information it turns out it is completely unnecessary. It's good to know that it's already included and not necessary to add extra.

My "GUESS" would be that they include the 15% that they add for all other services within the $30.

Tipping is up to you for the service received.. we always tip $20 extra for the 2 of us.. that is if the service is outstanding.. which for us it always has been;)

Well, we don't know how much we have already tipped. We may already have been paying $15 meal, $15 tip, in which case the extra would be quite extravagant.

Well, we don't know how much we have already tipped. We may already have been paying $15 meal, $15 tip, in which case the extra would be quite extravagant.

Especially when the per meal tip in the MDR is $1.66 :rolleyes:

NOpe I have never asked for a breakdown... but as stated the $30 includes gratuity.. if you don't feel that you need or want to leave more then don't.. it doesn't state anywhere that you have to... as far as I know and have done all my times dining out I tip when I feel it is warranted..;)

These days, Dunkin' Donuts will tell you the same thing.

Not exactly the same level of service though, is it?

Would you tip the servers if it was a restaurant on land? If the answer is yes you should probably tip them in the steakhouse.

Not exactly the same level of service though, is it?

Would you tip the servers if it was a restaurant on land? If the answer is yes you should probably tip them in the steakhouse.

Not if it said tip was included, like if your party was 8 or more.

While the tip is supposedly included, we've always felt that they deserved extra so our typical is to tip an additional $20 for the two of us.

If we ever had sub-par service we wouldn't, but that's never been the case.

Not the point, and agree. I assume you give your MDR an additional $10 to $20 per dinner as well?

You are against giving the tip I see for the supper club so beit.. not everyone else is.. doesn't matter what I give where.. the supper club is a different experience.. somewhat like a spa treatment maybe..

I jsut think we have the right to know how much of a tip we are already paying.

With that info I can readily decide how much more is warranted. Why keep this a secret?

Have you asked??? I really don't see the problem..I don't think it is a secret..

However this is where the tips question gets interesting.

We are encouraged to add something to the tip if we thought the service was very good.

Since we have no clue how much of the service charge is the tip have no idea where we are starting from. For some reason this is a state secret.

In the past when we have gone to the steakhouse have added to the tip but in the future will rethink this.

it seams to me it would be $25.00 for the meal and 20% for the tip.

seams fair for an upscale meal.

We always tip an extra $20 for two of us also. Where can you go eat on land as good as you do in the supper club for only $30?! The food and service have always been outstanding.

No. It's $30 on top of what you've already paid for your meal in the MDR, plus that tip as well.

We always tip an extra $20 for two of us also. Where can you go eat on land as good as you do in the supper club for only $30?! The food and service have always been outstanding.

You are NOT eating there for "only $30"! You are eating there for $30 MORE than what you would have paid for what is quite excellent food (IMO) in the dining room - and that $30 includes the tip.

We have tipped extra (perhaps $5 - $10 total) for specialty restaurant on NCL Dawn where the surcharge was I recall $20, and the service absolutely wonderful, but did not tip extra on our recent meal in Davids/Pride. The service was perfectly fine, and what I would have expected, but did not warrant going above whatever was included (and I don't need to know what the "whatever" is - just that the tip is included).

BTW, will never go back to David's - meal took almost 3 hours - they were clearly deliberately spacing almost half an hour between courses - they may think that makes the meal "elegant and leisurely", but it was absurd.

Archived