FYI: Answer to Steakhouse Tips Question

Solo1959

[quote name='dan40']What I know about the Steakhouse.

1. The tip IS included by Carnival's own information.

2. The service is good, BUT no better than a better restaurant on land.

3. I CANNOT get a complete USDA PRIME steak dinner anywhere on land for $30.00 so I don't need to know the breakdown of the $30.

I would consider myself fortunate to get an equal QUALITY dinner, on land, for twice the price. PLUS TIP![/quote]

If this works for you great. However remember you are already paying for a very nice meal in the DR plus tip to the waiters who will spend more time waiting since you will not be there.

[quote name='golfadj']If this works for you great. However remember you are already paying for a very nice meal in the DR plus tip to the waiters who will spend more time waiting since you will not be there.[/quote]

TRUE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Also true if I dine in the buffet, or room service. Or if I've eaten ashore and do not wish to eat again. Or if I've "over excursioned" and am asleep and not eating at all.

However,,,,,,,,,How are the MDR waiters a factor. They're there, not waiting on us, and collecting their tip from auto-tip. GOOD for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B]golfadj[/B] [URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=24011029#post24011029"][IMG]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif[/IMG][/URL]
[I]If this works for you great. However remember you are already paying for a very nice meal in the DR plus tip to the waiters who will spend more time waiting since you will not be there.[/I]

TRUE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Also true if I dine in the buffet, or room service. Or if I've eaten ashore and do not wish to eat again. Or if I've "over excursioned" and am asleep and not eating at all.

However,,,,,,,,,How are the MDR waiters a factor. They're there, not waiting on us, and collecting their tip from auto-tip. GOOD for them.

Slogan for this years elections:
[SIZE=2][COLOR=red][B]IF YOU'RE IN,,,,,,,,,,,YOU'RE OUT!!![/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

You are already giving the MDR waiters a tip via auto-tip for your dinner in the MDR for that night (and lets not get into a discussion on whether you should) and you are giving an unknown tip to the specialty restaurant waiter plus perhaps an additional extra tip.

[quote name='CCLCM']I'd rather not, I don't really think it's everyones business. I wouldn't want my wage posted on here.[/quote]

If you're not going to back up your statement with facts, I am dismissing it, and urge others to do the same.

[quote name='MrPete']If you're not going to back up your statement with facts, I am dismissing it, and urge others to do the same.[/quote]

Why should facts have anything to do with our investigation into the service charge?

• 3 weeks later...
Let me put it this way; is it really going to make a huge difference in your budget if you give them a couple dollars tip? Even a small tip is better than nothing, and would make a difference to the servers, I'm sure.

I have always tipped extra in the Steakhouse...and on the last cruise quite a bit more as we were four and had an excellent meal with great service. I think the bigger question here is can you really certain if give the extra tip on the sign and sail card given actually goes to the people serving you??

It does. Whenever you add an additional tip on a S&S the crew member's manager has to go into the computer and add it manually later on, at the end of each cruise a list is posted with all the tipping staff and how much they received in additional tips, so they can double check that it is accurate.

I mean, they have no reason to not give it to them anyway...

For what it's worth, this is how we figured things on our recent Splendor cruise, on which we ate at the steakhouse twice.

We assumed that the most Carnival would give the waitstaff is 15% or $9 of that $60 they're charging us -- and that $9 was going to be divided up between the team of people who actually waited on us (which seemed to be at least five: the hostess, the maitre'd, the waiter and at least two assistants) plus who knows who behind the scenes.

We also estimated that the actual value of the meal at any of the upscale steakhouses on shore could EASILY run more than $150 per couple.

Here's what our local (Charlotte) steakhouse would have charged for the meal my wife and I had:

Lobster Bisque: $12
Shrimp Cocktail: $12
Caesar Salad: $9 x 2 = $18
Porterhouse Steak: $42
Filet Mignon: $39
Bearnaise Sauce: $3
Peppercorn Sauce: $3
Creamed Spinach: $9
Garlic Mashed Potatoes: $7
Sauteed Mushrooms: $6
Cheesecake: $8
Chocolate Extravangaza: $12

Total: $171

A 15% tip would be $25.65

So we feel $9 is WAY too low -- and so we leave an extra tip of $20.

Of course, Carnival could be giving the staff 50% or even more of the $30 fee, but I doubt it.

[quote name='CCLCM']Let me put it this way; is it really going to make a huge difference in your budget if you give them a couple dollars tip? Even a small tip is better than nothing, and would make a difference to the servers, I'm sure.[/quote]

The cruiseline states that the tip IS in the fee. Way back when fee restaurants were started on cruise ships it was always plainly stated that your meals ARE included in your cruise fare and the fee was purely the tip for the servers. In the beginning the fee was merely $5.00 and that made it obvious you weren't paying for the food, only for the tip as those waiters did not work the MDR as well as the 'specialty' restaurant. Today they do not say it is all tip, but they say it is included in the fee. Unless the service was incredibly outstanding, that is good enough for me. Excellent service is expected.

[quote name='dan40']The cruiseline states that the tip IS in the fee. Way back when fee restaurants were started on cruise ships it was always plainly stated that your meals ARE included in your cruise fare and the fee was purely the tip for the servers. In the beginning the fee was merely $5.00 and that made it obvious you weren't paying for the food, only for the tip as those waiters did not work the MDR as well as the 'specialty' restaurant. Today they do not say it is all tip, but they say it is included in the fee. Unless the service was incredibly outstanding, that is good enough for me. Excellent service is expected.[/QUOTE]

You definitely make a powerful case -- and I do think Carnival should inform us of how the tip is handled. I don't understand why they don't just divulge the truth, unless they are intentionally trying to get us to tip more, which doesn't make a lot of sense if there's nothing in it for Carnival.

[quote name='CalmCruiserNC']For what it's worth, this is how we figured things on our recent Splendor cruise, on which we ate at the steakhouse twice.

We assumed that the most Carnival would give the waitstaff is 15% or $9 of that $60 they're charging us -- and that $9 was going to be divided up between the team of people who actually waited on us (which seemed to be at least five: the hostess, the maitre'd, the waiter and at least two assistants) plus who knows who behind the scenes.

We also estimated that the actual value of the meal at any of the upscale steakhouses on shore could EASILY run more than $150 per couple.

Here's what our local (Charlotte) steakhouse would have charged for the meal my wife and I had:

Of course, Carnival could be giving the staff 50% or even more of the $30 fee, but I doubt it.[/quote]

You are forgetting you are paying AND tipping on 4 meals: the 2 in the supper club, and the 2 in the MDR.

I also believe they are delivering the same round or oval plates and placing them the same way as they would in the MDR. Yet the tip for that same delivery style in the MDR is $4 for two.

[quote name='CalmCruiserNC']You definitely make a powerful case -- and I do think Carnival should inform us of how the tip is handled. I don't understand why they don't just divulge the truth, unless they are intentionally trying to get us to tip more, which doesn't make a lot of sense if there's nothing in it for Carnival.[/quote]

I can't say I understand why either, it's the only case on the ship where they don't say exactly how much gratuity someone is getting. That should tell you it's not much though.

My lowly opinion:

Regardless of how much of the $30 goes to the waitstaff as gratuity (let's say it's $10, which at 33 percent is probably REALLY high), do you really think it is enough? I've read people saying that it was the best meal they've ever had and that it is a night they'll remember forever...wasn't part of that due to the service?

I know, I know, I'm already paying extra when I could have eaten for "free" in the MDR...but that was my choice. Yes, it's true that I make my living as a waiter, and in my opinion whenever the gratuity is included in a bill (e.g. allowed for parties of 7 or more at the restaurant I work), people tend to think, "It's included, so that's that!"....which is why I rarely include the gratuity. (FYI, at my restaurant 18 percent is added before tax....I would rather take the gamble and go for 20 percent after tax. Some of my fellow servers say, "Just put the grat on, if they want to give you more they will" but I think people like to lean on the excuse that the tip was added on....although I do recognize that atrocious service need not be rewarded. I am talking about competent service.)

Bottom line, just because that's what the Powers That Be have deemed, does that mean we can't throw a little joy around? Trust me, a few extra bucks means a lot more to them than it does to (a lot of) us.

[quote name='golfadj']Some night there is hardly anyone there...[/quote]

And that tells me everything I need to know about the steakhouse. If it were truly worth $30 per person extra, the place would never have an open seat.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

P.S. It isn't that I don't believe people when they talk about how "great" it is, it's just that I have no need for my food to cost that much and be that "great." The MDR is "great" enough for me.

[quote name='CalmCruiserNC']For what it's worth, this is how we figured things on our recent Splendor cruise, on which we ate at the steakhouse twice.

Of course, Carnival could be giving the staff 50% or even more of the $30 fee, but I doubt it.[/quote]

This where your logic breaks down

"We assumed that the most Carnival would give the waitstaff is 15% or $9 of that $60 they're charging us -- "

We have no idea what Carnival is "giving" the waitstaff. Until we do have no idea what they are getting so making assumption is just guesswork on everyones part.

[quote name='bobbyleduck']And that tells me everything I need to know about the steakhouse. If it were truly worth $30 per person extra, the place would never have an open seat.

[/quote]

Being you book your table for the evening, it's possible that the those that dine at 6 never see those that dine at 8.

I find the tipping issue very interesting. We (USA) are the only country that tips %15-%20. Therefore does the same hold true on Med and other cruises that are never in a US port. I know I was told not to tip in China since its not done. Elsewhere locals give %10 or less since its included or they get a living wage.

[quote name='sunshine002']I find the tipping issue very interesting. [B]We (USA) are the only country that tips %15-%20.[/B] Therefore does the same hold true on Med and other cruises that are never in a US port. I know I was told not to tip in China since its not done. Elsewhere locals give %10 or less since its included or they get a living wage.[/QUOTE]

That's just not true.

Archived