FYI: Answer to Steakhouse Tips Question

Solo1959

[quote name='yuki5900']My lowly opinion:

Regardless of how much of the $30 goes to the waitstaff as gratuity (let's say it's $10, which at 33 percent is probably REALLY high), do you really think it is enough? I've read people saying that it was the best meal they've ever had and that it is a night they'll remember forever...wasn't part of that due to the service?

I know, I know, I'm already paying extra when I could have eaten for "free" in the MDR...but that was my choice. Yes, it's true that I make my living as a waiter, and in my opinion whenever the gratuity is included in a bill (e.g. allowed for parties of 7 or more at the restaurant I work), people tend to think, "It's included, so that's that!"....which is why I rarely include the gratuity. (FYI, at my restaurant 18 percent is added before tax....I would rather take the gamble and go for 20 percent after tax. Some of my fellow servers say, "Just put the grat on, if they want to give you more they will" but I think people like to lean on the excuse that the tip was added on....although I do recognize that atrocious service need not be rewarded. I am talking about competent service.)

Bottom line, just because that's what the Powers That Be have deemed, does that mean we can't throw a little joy around? Trust me, a few extra bucks means a lot more to them than it does to (a lot of) us.[/quote]

Does this normally work in your favor? (Serious question, no sarcasim). I ask because my MIL is a waitress and she has said since the recession hit her has gotten horrible tips. She has seated a ten top and seen a whopping $5 tip.

[quote name='CCLCM']So you're too cheap to give them $2?[/quote]

If CCL HR contract employment documents don't include the usual boiler plate language about not dissing the company, it's staff and customers in public forums it should. Your opinions and guest taunting here make me suspect you are not what you say you are; and if you are you should be terminated and put off at the next U.S. port of call.

[QUOTE=;][/QUOTE]
As a matter of fact it doesn't say anything of the sort in my contract. Even if it did I still have my own opinions.

It's not taunting, it's just a question.

Why does it bother you much that I have something more to say that "yes sir"?

[quote name='CCLCM']As a matter of fact it doesn't say anything of the sort in my contract. Even if it did I still have my own opinions.

It's not taunting, it's just a question.

Why does it bother you much that I have something more to say that "yes sir"?[/quote]

I think you are being unprofessional.

[quote name='sunshine002']I find the tipping issue very interesting. We [B](USA) are the only country that tips %15-%20[/B]. Therefore does the same hold true on Med and other cruises that are never in a US port. I know I was told not to tip in China since its not done. Elsewhere locals give %10 or less since its included or they get a living wage.[/QUOTE]

I know there's a country right beside the big ole USA that I believe has the same tipping standards. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Solo1959']Is there anybody who DOESN'T love Dunkin' Donuts? I'd love to see one one the ships, the donuts, the coffee.... So much better than what they offer now. mmmmmmmmmmmm[/quote]

Dunkin doughnuts are horrible....Krispy Cream on the other hand is in heaven...grew up with them in nc and they had a few in indiana too, but now they are all gone from the days of low carbs/no carbs. Guess Im glad they are gone from here, so not tempted except when going back to home in raleigh, nc from time to time :)

[quote name='Shelbyjane56']Dunkin doughnuts are horrible....Krispy Cream on the other hand is in heaven...grew up with them in nc and they had a few in indiana too, but now they are all gone from the days of low carbs/no carbs. Guess Im glad they are gone from here, so not tempted except when going back to home in raleigh, nc from time to time :)[/quote]

What chains do is make sure their product tastes the same in every outlet. Doesn't matter if its Micky D's, or Dunkin GoNuts's or KrispyKreme's, OR Toxic Hell, or Wendy's or BBK. One is sweet crap, one is salty crap, one is spicy crap, one is greasy crap. You KNOW what its going to taste like and its going to taste like crap! NO CHAINS NEEDED ON CRUISE SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::p

[quote name='dan40']What chains do is make sure their product tastes the same in every outlet. Doesn't matter if its Micky D's, or Dunkin GoNuts's or KrispyKreme's, OR Toxic Hell, or Wendy's or BBK. One is sweet crap, one is salty crap, one is spicy crap, one is greasy crap. You KNOW what its going to taste like and its going to taste like crap! NO CHAINS NEEDED ON CRUISE SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::p[/QUOTE]

dan...

[quote name='dan40']One is sweet crap, one is salty crap, one is spicy crap, one is greasy crap. You KNOW what its going to taste like and its going to taste like crap! NO CHAINS NEEDED ON CRUISE SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::p[/quote]
Isn't one chain Carnival crap, another Norwegian crap, RCCL crap, Cunard crap, etc.??? Same thing.

No, I was being facetious about Dunkin Donuts on a cruise. But a chain is a chain is a chain, and the cruiseline chains are pretty good.

So, I did a little asking around...the actual amount of the $30 that goes to the servers is....

zero.

Seriously. I promise you that I am being completely honest when I say that. I know that really doesn't prove anything, but what can I do....

They say that gratuity is not necessary because they don't want people to feel obligated to tip. Also, the supper club servers have a much higher salary that most tipping positions. For example they make more than 3x the salary of a bartender.

It makes sense too, if there was a portion of the $30 that went to the servers it would be the only time that there was a gratuity going to a crew member that wasn't specifically spelled out for you.

I wonder how many people will accuse me of lying...

Just off the Liberty last week and went to the steakhouse. At the end of the meal there was no check, nothing to sign, no place to leave a tip. I asked the waitress if there was anything I needed to to sign, and she just said "nope, your all set have a great night!"

Thought that was a little odd....

We have eaten in the Supper Club on the Legend and the Freedom. The meal was great, the service was excellent and we tipped the wait staff $30.00. It makes absolutely no difference to me whether Carnival gave them any part of the $30.00 surcharge for eating there. We tipped because we wanted them to know that we felt they did a great job and that we appreciated their service. If the issue of tipping in the Supper Club causes you much stress, then don't eat there. The real deal is that you can enjoy the supper club and not tip at all, and that's acceptable. You can enjoy the supper club and leave a tip, and that's acceptable. So, why doesn't everyone relax, enjoy the supper club if you are so inclined, and tip or don't tip, whatever you feel led to do. WE also leave additional tips for the waitstaff in the MDR at the end of the cruise if we feel their service has been exceptional.

[quote name='elcuchio24']Just off the Liberty last week and went to the steakhouse. At the end of the meal there was no check, nothing to sign, no place to leave a tip. I asked the waitress if there was anything I needed to to sign, and she just said "nope, your all set have a great night!"

Thought that was a little odd....[/quote]

And you never got charged?

[quote name='Solo1959']Isn't one chain Carnival crap, another Norwegian crap, RCCL crap, Cunard crap, etc.??? Same thing.

No, I was being facetious about Dunkin Donuts on a cruise. But a chain is a chain is a chain, and the cruiseline chains are pretty good.[/quote]

CCL, RCL, NCL are cruise LINES. Not Bad, Bad Food chains. BBF chains are marked by a horrible sameness in their sad food. Cruise lines are marked by the uniqueness of each cruise. And CL food differs as much ship to ship as it does line to line. There are many supermarket chains and retail store chains. They and cruiselines are not terrible, or noted for lousy food. BBF chains are!

[quote name='CCLCM']So, I did a little asking around...the actual amount of the $30 that goes to the servers is....

zero.

Seriously. I promise you that I am being completely honest when I say that. I know that really doesn't prove anything, but what can I do....

They say that gratuity is not necessary because they don't want people to feel obligated to tip. Also, the supper club servers have a much higher salary that most tipping positions. For example they make more than 3x the salary of a bartender.

It makes sense too, if there was a portion of the $30 that went to the servers it would be the only time that there was a gratuity going to a crew member that wasn't specifically spelled out for you.

I wonder how many people will accuse me of lying...[/quote]

So you are saying that what the corporation and what John Heald are saying are lies. But what you are saying is true.

I'll go with them.

[quote name='CCLCM']So, I did a little asking around...the actual amount of the $30 that goes to the servers is....

zero.

I wonder how many people will accuse me of lying...[/quote]

I do not believe you for a second. Not the way they do business.

[quote name='SG81']if Carnival says the tip is included in the $30, then why should I give an additional tip? because they did a good job? aren't they supposed to do a good job?[/quote]

Especially if they're drawing a salary equal to the Captain and the Hotel director.

[quote name='dan40']So you are saying that what the corporation and what John Heald are saying are lies. But what you are saying is true.

I'll go with them.[/QUOTE]
They never said that any of the $30 goes to the servers, they just said that tipping in not a requirement. And it isn't, they aren't going to kick you out if you don't tip, and as I said the servers have a higher sallary than most tipping positions.

Archived