passport question

Joecadd8269

Some countries will not admit you if your passport is closer than 6 months to it's expiration date. They don't want to take a chance on you being there if it does expire.

but that would not be the case in the bahammas correct? i mean you can use a birth certificate if you wanted to there.

thank you for the info it makes sense

has anyone heard that a passport cannot be used within 6 months of its expiration date? I have heard this from someone but cannot validate it anywhere.

Please let me know

There are some (by no means most) countries that require your passport to be valid for at least six months beyond the time you will be staying in their country.

There are also some cruise lines and airlines that have apparently decided it is too much trouble to keep track of which countries have this requirement, and have taken it upon themselves to deny boarding to anyone whose passport will expire in 6 months or less regardless of whether any country they will be cruising or flying to actually has this requirement.

The bottom line for travelers is that the safe thing to do is renew your passport before it hits the six months to expiration mark.

Yes, a British managed line, P&O, refused to take my details on the phone because I'd only 5 months on my passport, even tho' it was the usual Euro passport, and I was travelling only in Europe. I don't know which country you're from, but in the UK you can renew 9 months in advance, and the months are added to your 10 years- i.e. my passport was returned with 10 years 5 months on it.

Jo.

The bottom line for travelers is that the safe thing to do is renew your passport before it hits the six months to expiration mark.

So they should just say it's valid for 9 1/2 years not 10 unless we get the same consideration as jocap.....do we?

Are you going to take any rocks if you go to BDA again?;)

So they should just say it's valid for 9 1/2 years not 10 unless we get the same consideration as jocap.....do we?

Are you going to take any rocks if you go to BDA again?;)

No...I'm virtually certain we just get a flat 10 years on the renewals in the US, regardless of how much time is remaining on the old passport.

Yes, I'd have been allowed back into the UK with only one day left....it was the cruise line which demanded this. I'd check whether NCL has the same policy- it did in the last European brochure we had- unless they allow the birth certificate for a closed loop tour.

Jo.

I just renewed my passport, it would have expired in June. It came back with an expiration date of March, 2020.

Also they have increased the price from $75. to $100 now.[/QUOTE]

Gee, only a $25 increase in 10 years that's not too bad. I wonder how much a washing machine has increased in that same time. I bet it is more than just $25, $2.50 per year increase.... :)

The price of passport even after the recent increase isn't that much more than what the cruise lines charge for the DSC. I understand some will have to budget the cost of a passport, but if you can afford to cruise you can afford a passport.

I highly recommend anyone traveling abroad get a passport whenever they can afford one and as soon as possible. Frankly those who can afford to travel abroad can afford a passport. Those traveling by land across the border to Mexico and Canada can afford a passport card.

Notice the changes homeland security implemented after last Christmas's incident with the airlines OVERNIGHT! I honestly believe we are only one cruise ship incident away before homeland security forces having a passport to cruise OVERNIGHT as well... Don't gamble with your cruise by not having a passport...

Only Congress has delayed Homeland Security, who have been wanting to implement passports ever since 9-11... We have had plenty of warnings...

They have changed the rules OVERNIGHT in the past, and will again... Don't think they won't...

Archived