Maybe our last Royal caribbean cruise! Freedom 4th April 2010

If I keep reading things like this, I may decide to cancel our reservations on FOS in July. We usually rent a beach house in Hilton Head, but wanted to try something different.

Seriously, I was already worried about the bad food reviews, but could probably get past those as they could be subjective.......but dirty bedding could send me over the edge. That shows a complete disregard for customer service by RCI!

Ugh.....hope I start seeing some more positive reviews before our final payment is due.

Seriously, I was already worried about the bad food reviews, but could probably get past those as they could be subjective.......but dirty bedding could send me over the edge. That shows a complete disregard for customer service by RCI!

Ugh.....hope I start seeing some more positive reviews before our final payment is due.

It was upsetting to me to find that amount of staining on the pads, but I also considered the fact that many, many people sleep on these, and they can't change one out every time there is a little stain on it, but where to draw the line?

It was a very unfortunate incident in an otherwise nice vacation (ruling out debarkation day, which needs its own ratings category, lol)

If I keep reading things like this, I may decide to cancel our reservations on FOS in July. We usually rent a beach house in Hilton Head, but wanted to try something different.

That's one review that you have read about dirty bedding right ?

Each week 3000 passengers sail FOS and how many truly bad revieews have you seen over the last 6 months say ?

10 ?

20 ?

50 even ?

Out of potentially 78,000 passengers over the last 6 months ?

I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. Make your own mind up when you have sailed. I am 99% sure you will love it. We loved our first RCI cruise and booked straight away for next months and are now looking to book another for September.

It was upsetting to me to find that amount of staining on the pads, but I also considered the fact that many, many people sleep on these, and they can't change one out every time there is a little stain on it, but where to draw the line?

It was a very unfortunate incident in an otherwise nice vacation (ruling out debarkation day, which needs its own ratings category, lol)

Exactly. Matresses at 5 star hotels all over the world will be no different.

In reality, you are just as likely to get dirty bedding in a hotel room or beach house. In fact, you are probably more likely to get it in a beach house since the sheets aren't washed as often. Just a thought.

and-for those CSI fans;

never walk into any room be it hotel, cruise ship or resort with the blue light.

DNA Everywhere!!!:eek: :D

I just don't want to have to actually see that DNA minus the light. :mad:

Although I have not experienced much of what the OP has stated, I too would be annoyed at some of their points.

Unfriendly check in agent? I detest people like that. But I will give them a bit of leeway, you never know what grief the people before you may have given them. I do not buy into the fact they are customer service and are paid to be abused...they are human.

Blood stained bedding, yuck

Unfriendly staff, I've experienced it on occasion, but not all of the staff on any one ship. I allow that people do have bad days.

Balconies closed (I'm thinking the partitions were closed off after a couple days???) they may not have been able to do it until that time.

I could go on, but I have to go to work now.

I chalk the decline of customer service with the cutbacks in staff. Cabin stewards have more cabins now. There are less food servers, no bar servers in the dining rooms at dinner, etc... It's the same thing happening where I work (both jobs), staff is being cut and service suffers. I think it could be happening across the board, on all cruise lines, not just RCI. I thought this months ago when fares started plummeting, the cruise lines have to make the money go farther somewhere and the first thing to go is always people. Chocolates and gifty things cut out just weren't enough of a cash saver.

Originally Posted by octagonmike.....

I am 99% sure you will love it.

I bet that's what ChrisUK told his friends when planning this cruise!!!!

This board is a wealth of information, but many people here are just so condescending and annoying. Its so easy to trivialize other people's complaints, especially the "I don't go to bed after 1:00, so too bad for you" comments...

If I want to stay up late, there better be a bar or club open!

I can't understand why CS would mention the nationality of maintenance workers... wouldn't it have been easier to say "We're doing maintenance outside your cabin, they must have forgotten to re-open it. Sorry about that, we'll re-open it for you straight away".

Chris, how long were you locked out of your balcony? I really don't like the idea of being locked out of my balcony! I would think they would do maintenance when the ship was returned to the original port!

Sally

Bloody on the sheets is a nasty one though

Urine is equally nasty.

I wonder though, if the 5-star hotel would change out the pad upon noticing such an overwhelming stain. My problem, I suppose, is that they do not take it upon themselves to monitor cleanliness standards: the customer must do it themselves.

Urine is equally nasty.

I wonder though, if the 5-star hotel would change out the pad upon noticing such an overwhelming stain. My problem, I suppose, is that they do not take it upon themselves to monitor cleanliness standards: the customer must do it themselves.

I doubt very much whether any organisation would change a matress as soon as it is stained. There's a lot of matresses on them ships.

I wouldn't assume, based on this guys pattern, that "blood stained bed cover" means there was something terribly obvious. Heck, I sleep in bed-stained sheets every day at home, because I had a boo-boo on my toe one day that left a small dot of blood on the sheet, and the stain didn't come out completely in the wash. Somehow, I don't think his bedding looked like a murder scene. Let the guy have his rant, but just understand that it was probably not as bad as he's trying to make it sound.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::rolleyes:

Are you serious?????

I doubt very much whether any organisation would change a matress as soon as it is stained. There's a lot of matresses on them ships.

As I mentioned previously, all the mattress pads were stained.

I only complained about the one with the urine stain that took up most of the upper portion of the pad, and smelled ghastly.

At what point is a mattress pad considered unserviceable? In this case, it is the point at which the customer complains, and not one moment before.

Blood stained, urine stained, or foul smelling......these are all really problematic when you are traveling and paying good money for your accommodations. Especially, when you consider that you will be spending (sleeping) an entire week in a room that is not meeting minumum clean standards. A little dust here and there, maybe some sand left in the carpet is one thing.......but no one likes dirty bedding or bathrooms. ICK!! :(

As I mentioned previously, all the mattress pads were stained.

I only complained about the one with the urine stain that took up most of the upper portion of the pad, and smelled ghastly.

At what point is a mattress pad considered unserviceable? In this case, it is the point at which the customer complains, and not one moment before.

"it is the point at which the customer complains, and not one moment before"

You just hit the nail on the head my friend.

So that's one of the 2000 odd matresses replaced, only another 1999 complaints needed and by the time that happens they'll all be stained again.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Are you serious?????

Now you see what we mean when some say that a small percentage here can find no wrong with this cruise line sent from the gods above!!! :p

someone elses nasty is just that, nasty, and no one else should have to see it or smell it.

I'm tempted to start a thread asking if anyone else has experienced bloody, stained, or smelly bedding on Royal Caribbean??? :p Or should I just take the "ignorance is bliss" approach??? Just want to know if I need to do a thorough inspection of the bedding in our cabin AND our kid's cabin.

Not a fun way to start a cruise......I would think that those changing bed linens would notice those things. Hmmm.....

"it is the point at which the customer complains, and not one moment before"

You just hit the nail on the head my friend.

So that's one of the 2000 odd matresses replaced, only another 1999 complaints needed and by the time that happens they'll all be stained again.

Not sure of the point you are trying to make?

Maybe if you had slept a couple nights on this bed and been there to see it, you'd feel differently.

Not sure of the point you are trying to make?

Maybe if you had slept a couple nights on this bed and been there to see it, you'd feel differently.

Hey I totally sympathise and would not have been happy. Just saying that there is no reason to be surprised as I can guarantee that almost every matress on that ship was dirty or stained in some way.

Marci~

You did say that the foul smelling stain was up near the top of the pad, correct?? Sounds like they saw it, and just turned the pad around if you get my drift? I don't think anyone could tolerate having to smell that everytime they laid their head down on their bed. In fact, I am catching myself making a disgusted face as I type this. So sorry, you had to experience that!

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::rolleyes:

Are you serious?????

Of course I'm serious. Did you even read my post? It wasn't a post that said, "I'm OK with blood-stained sheets." It merely said that this OP's complaints have shown a propensity to be exaggerated, so we don't really know if this was some glaringly obvious stain that should have been noticed and corrected by the staff or if it was a tiny residual stain remaining on bedding that had been laundered, that could have easily been overlooked.

So, yes, I am completely serious when I say that I don't automatically make the assumption that this poster's claim of "blood-stained bed cover" means it was a terribly obvious stain that clearly should have been noticed by the housekeeping staff. Maybe it was; maybe it wasn't.

Archived