Mayan Ruins of Tulum

Dizzneefan

First post on these threads and I've got a question about the Mayan Ruins of Tulum tour from the Fantasy. (BTW our first cruise was in 1990 when the Fantasy was brand new. We've gone on many cruises since then but will celebrate our 25th anniversary on the Fantasy. Even booked the same cabin. But I digress...)

The tour is listed at lasting 7 hours, including travel, shopping, etc. Do you need to take the full time or do you think that is too long?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks, I thought it would kinda neat, so I pulled out the old VHS tape and located the cabin number and requested it when we booked. I love to surprise my wife and booked the vow renewal ceremony as well and was going to keep that a secret, but then thought she might like to have something special to wear for the occasion, so I went ahead and told her.

I guess I had not noticed the tour available from Calica, so we could look at that one and perhaps do other excursions on Cozumel that might include some shopping. Anyone have an opinion on which might be better--the 5 or 7 hour versions?

We did Tulum last fall on the Valor. It was a full 7 hours, in fact we were the last ones to get back to the ship. No time for shopping in Cozumel. It was awesome though... definately a favorite excursion!

We are doing this on our cruise which leaves in 12 days. We are going on the Valor, how'd you like the ship?

I guess I had not noticed the tour available from Calica, so we could look at that one and perhaps do other excursions on Cozumel that might include some shopping. Anyone have an opinion on which might be better--the 5 or 7 hour versions?

Try to do it from Calica! You'll avoid the ferry to the mainland. Many other things to do in Cozumel! The view from Tulum is just amazing. Have a great cruise

If it were me I would def.do Tulum from Calica and do something else in Coz. Tulum is not to be missed.

The ferry from Coz. and back takes around 45 min. each way, and can be very rough. We returned to Coz one night after visiting Tulum and Xel Ha during a land vacation on Coz, and they were passing out barf bags. I was told this happens often.

We've gone on many cruises since then but will celebrate our 25th anniversary on the Fantasy. Even booked the same cabin. But I digress...)[/i]

Our first cruise started off with a strange situation. We just got into our cabin and there was a knock at our door. We opened it and this couple walked in and screamed at us to get out of their cabin. They were acting like lunatics. The room steward heard these idiots and came to our rescue. These two imbeciles were on this ship 10 years prior and thought that they were entitled to the same cabin. Even thought they were booked into another cabin they thought that they could just take what they wanted. Security had to come and remove them. We had a good laugh after it was over and the steward said that he had never seen anything like that before.

First post on these threads and I've got a question about the Mayan Ruins of Tulum tour from the Fantasy. (BTW our first cruise was in 1990 when the Fantasy was brand new. We've gone on many cruises since then but will celebrate our 25th anniversary on the Fantasy. Even booked the same cabin. But I digress...)

The tour is listed at lasting 7 hours, including travel, shopping, etc. Do you need to take the full time or do you think that is too long?

Thanks in advance.

What do you mean by "have to take the full time"? It's not one of those tours that you can come back at your leisure. There is a bus and a ferry ride to and from the ruins. You will probably spend more time traveling than you will in Tulum. Still, it's a good tour.

CCLCM, I was just wondering if you it were possible to come back to the ship earlier if you did not want to stay the full time. We've takend lots of excursions where the time was posted as lasting "X" amount of time, but you could always return earlier if you liked.

Anyway, I think we'll take the trip from Calica now and do shopping and other activities in Cozumel.

Jerry,

Looks like we got married the same year! We had thought about returning to Hawaii for our 25th since we went there for our honeymoon. But we also wanted to take our son over there and thought he might enjoy the trip more at age 13 than traveling with the folks when he was 18. So...

we went there in 2000 for our 20th and going back on the Fantasy for the 25th.

I don't think you could leave early. IME, you leave on the tour bus you come in on. We have taken the Tulum tour from Calica and we stayed with the same group the entire time. Even from Calica, a decent portion of that time will be spent traveling to Tulum (maybe 1.5 hour RT?). But, when I went, we did have time (if we'd chosen) to take a taxi to Playa del Carmen when we returned, but we just got back on the ship.

What do you mean "need to take the full time"? This isn't one of those tours where you can come back at your leisure. You need to take a tour bus and a ferry each way. I think there is more time spent traveling then at the actual site. Still, it's a good tour.

Are you leaving on the Fantasy on the 19th? We are going then and are booked for the Tulum tour out of Calica. Sounds like a great tour and we are excited about it! Looks like we will also have time for shopping when the tour is over.

we did that excursion out of Cozumel...still had shopping time afterwards only because our ship ended up having an extra 2 hours in port. I would definitely take it from Calica. The ferry to Playa Del Carmen takes a long time and you could spend that time differently.

The ruins sit on a bluff over the ocean and there is a beach you can access to swim in. It was soooooo hot and humid when we were there, we went in the water after we did the tour with our guide, then explored the site on our own. So don't forget your bathing suit and a towel! We even still had time to browse the vendors and have a beer where the buses park.

Have a great trip and happy anniversary

If I can give anyone advice on going to Tulum it is BRING MOSQUITO REPELLENT.

I'd also wear long pants/shirt. I was bitten so badly in Tulum in November that I got a taxi after about 10 minutes and headed back to my hotel. It was a shame because it's such an amazing place.

Archived