Mayan Ruins of Tulum

Dizzneefan

If I can give anyone advice on going to Tulum it is BRING MOSQUITO REPELLENT.

I'd also wear long pants/shirt. I was bitten so badly in Tulum in November that I got a taxi after about 10 minutes and headed back to my hotel. It was a shame because it's such an amazing place.

Wow that's a bummer! We didn't see any bugs of any kind there. Were you there after a storm? It's not jungle area there so I wonder where the skeeters were hiding. I guess it's best to be prepared!

CCLCM, I was just wondering if you it were possible to come back to the ship earlier if you did not want to stay the full time. We've takend lots of excursions where the time was posted as lasting "X" amount of time, but you could always return earlier if you liked.

Anyway, I think we'll take the trip from Calica now and do shopping and other activities in Cozumel.

This is definitely not one of those tours. When we did this tour (April '99, on the Paradise), the ship stopped near Playa Del Carmen so we could take a shorter tender ride to the mainland, then there is a 2 hour bus ride to Tulum, including the shopping stop on the way. There weren't buses leaving every 15 minutes or anything - the buses both left for Tulum as soon as they were full (I think there were two buses when we did the tour), and they came back at "the end" of the tour.

Based on what others have said, I think it might have been a short stop in Cozumel (Where the ship actually went after dropping us off). We got to Tulum, had a very quick tour (there were a bunch of buses there, most not from our ship), were able to look around for about 15 minutes, and then were shepherded down to the (very nice) beach for maybe 1/2 hour of swimming. Then it was on the bus for the couple hour ride back to Playa Del Carmen, and then the (fun, bouncy :) ) tender ride over to Cozumel. I think we had no time to look around Cozumel, but it may have just been that we were tired.

I really liked the ruins, and the cliffs and beach are very nice. I didn't really like the tour itself, except that it did bring us to the ruins. I particularly didn't care for the shopping stop on the way. It was a pretty run down little place, with kids trying to sell stuff "almost free".

Things may have changed, it's been 10 years. If the travel time is less from Calica, I'd go from there.

- Steve

Dizzneefan have you considered renting a car? It is a really easy drive and a straight shot with good road. I was there in Jan. and rented a car right off the ship in Calica and it only cost $37 with the insurance and it cost us maybe $5 in gas. There are stations on the way back. I rented from ace rent a car dot com. The cost to get into the ruins was $10 each. We had plenty of time to do what we wanted. You can hire a tour guide if you like when you get there. We were ahead of the tours. I would suggest bug spray and a large bottle of water.

PICT7301.jpg

....... I particularly didn't care for the shopping stop on the way. It was a pretty run down little place, with kids trying to sell stuff "almost free".

Things may have changed, it's been 10 years. If the travel time is less from Calica, I'd go from there.

- Steve

The shopping stop now is at a big store that sells replica Mayan souveniers. There is some food stuffs there that aren't too expensive and very nice, clean bathrooms. There are hats and other souveniers (we purchased shot glasses here for maybe $3).

REMEMBER THE BUG SPRAY!!!

I did the Tulum excursion from Calica last November, and I loved it. With it being 5 hours, we were back at the ship by 1:00, which gave me time to check out Playa del Carman and their beach for a little while. It was about a 50-minute bus ride to Tulum, one way. The ruins and the beach and cliffside were beautiful. It's well worth going to. The tour guide gave us great information and walked us around, then we had over an hour to ourselves there before we'd need to meet back at the bus. It's about a 10 to 15 minute walk to get from the ruins exit to the parking lot. While we were all there, the ship was getting pounded with 50+ mph winds and a severe thunderstorm back at Calica. We wound up with a light rain, which cut my time at the ruins short by about 15 minutes.

The tour guide will be pushing the margaritas at the place in front of the parking lot. I don't recommend getting one. I got sick later that day, and I'm pretty sure it was from the water used in the margarita. I wasn't the only one this happened to. They always tell us to not drink the water. Those drinks use that water. Bottled drinks only!

If you decide to rent a car and do this on your own, be very careful. Mexico's laws are very tough when it comes to car accidents. You have to go to the police station immediately, and you risk missing the ship. Plus, even if it was completely the other person's fault, you may still get blamed for it.

I would also caution on the car rental. It's been a long time since I went on this tour, but there was lengthy travel on a highway & any mishap like a traffic accident or mechanical breakdown could easily lead to missing the ship. Also it looked to me like we were out in the middle of nowhere, I'd hate to be there trying to find help, especially if your Spanish isn't great. Just my .02. I nearly always book private tours now, but this is one I personally would stay with booking through the ship.

Didn't notice any bug problem though.

We did the Tulum excursion while on the Valor a few years ago from Cozumel. They are right, the ferry ride can be rough (I about lost my cookies on the way back). The drive is pretty long, however, we were exhausted by then, and took the time to catch up on sleep. The ruins are absolutely one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen (even if there were hoards of people there that day). There were iguanas running all over the place!! Mosquitoes weren't a problem that day (I would have known if they were, they seem to love me) but it was HOT HOT HOT!!! Make sure to take a hat and sunscreen. At the stop-off for shopping I bought a little change purse for my 4 year old niece, and a little bottle of alcohol that they were taste testing that day.

We did the Tulum tour last year....the ruins were wonderful...it's the getting there and back that were awful. The tour guide was obnoxious and was NEVER quiet and the ferry and bus ride were endless. Bear in mind there is NO bathroom until you reach the shopping area when you are almost to Tulum.

We had no time to swim in Tulum, or shop back in Cozumel. I am glad I went, but would not go again. I figured I had been to Cozumel so many times, that I should get to Tulum once!

Enjoy and Happy Anniversary!

I would suggest taking a taxi to Tulum, especially if you dock early. It was $25 for 4 people from Playa del Carmen two years ago. The tour buses usually arrive around noon, so before that you basically have the entire site to yourself. We were there from 10 - 12 and when we were leaving the crowds were really high and the line up to get in was quite long.

There is a small shopping area where the Taxi drops you off & picks you up and the prices were fair. If you do take a cab, find out the price before you go. The rates are regulated but it's not uncommon to be charged extra.

Beautiful spot, not to be missed!

First post on these threads and I've got a question about the Mayan Ruins of Tulum tour from the Fantasy. (BTW our first cruise was in 1990 when the Fantasy was brand new. We've gone on many cruises since then but will celebrate our 25th anniversary on the Fantasy. Even booked the same cabin. But I digress...)

The tour is listed at lasting 7 hours, including travel, shopping, etc. Do you need to take the full time or do you think that is too long?

Thanks in advance.

You don't have any choice on the tour length. About a 40-minute (sometimes bumpy) Ferry ride from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen, an hour bus ride (including 20 minute stop at cheezy souvineer, rest stop). Arrive at Tulum parking lot which has restrooms, shops & food. short 5-minute walk (or Tram) to Entrance which also has restrooms. Usually 2 to 2 1/2 hours in Tulum; 1 hour guided and the rest to yourself, including the very scenic beach (no facilities). A snack pack and cold soda on the bus ride back. We thought the ruins were much better thqan generally given credit for. ken

Tulum is one of my favorite excursions ever. We've done it twice, once from Cozumel and once from Calica. It really will take 7 hours from Cozumel (because of the ferry ride over and back to and from PdC). It's definitely worth it, though, especially if you haven't been there. Wear a swimsuit so you can swim on the beach there.

Oh yeah, I would recommend going to Tulum!

Keep in mind if you go from Cozumel, there is a 40 minute ferry ride to the mainland, Playa Del Carmen. Then a short walk to the busses and about an hour drive to Tulum. This will definately take a full day. I arrived back to the Norwegian Pearl a half hour before casting off.

I understand your ship is going to Calica. I have never been there, but if you leave from there, you would certainly save a lot of time.

Yeah, Tulum! Love it! Go!

[quote name='Dizzneefan']First post on these threads and I've got a question about the Mayan Ruins of Tulum tour from the Fantasy. [I](BTW our first cruise was in 1990 when the Fantasy was brand new. We've gone on many cruises since then but will celebrate our 25th anniversary on the Fantasy. Even booked the same cabin. But I digress...)[/I]
The tour is listed at lasting 7 hours, including travel, shopping, etc. Do you need to take the full time or do you think that is too long?
Thanks in advance.[/quote]

We did this tour and if you click our cruise reviews with pictures it will be on the Victory Feb 2005 cruise review. Well worth the trip and 7 hours is not too long and here is why:
First Cozumel is an island and you have to take the ferry to the mainland (word of advice-always use official Carnival tours when going to the mainland-the ferry back and forth get full and you want the boat to wait for you-they will not wait if you are stuck on the mainland with a private tour. On your own is OK right in Cozumel where you do not have a ferry involved)
Also it is a fairly rough ride even though the ferry is large and it takes about 25-30 minutes to get to the mainland. We then walked to the bus area. The bus was modern and airconditioned. We stopped at a market on the way to use the rest rooms-some people made purchases. (No toilet paper in Mexico-bring your own. Also quarters as the sometimes charge to go in the restroom without toilet paper) The ride to Tulum was at least 90 minutes each way. You will be charged $10.00 to use a video camera at Tulum. They will give you a guided tour and then you can swim at their beach which is one of the nicest beaches anywhere (Bring a bathing suit)
This is a wonderful tour and worth the money and time-there are some places to shop on the way but you will not have time to shop at the port of Cozumel as the other poster pointed out. They did give use a nice bag lunch to eat on the way back from Tulum

My daughter and I did this out of Cozumel on our first cruise, it was a very long day, but so worth it. Like alot of the people have said take a bottle of water and ware a hat, or if you can bring a small umbrella that would halp also, but this is a must do, and see.

[quote name='David-n-Rita'](word of advice-always use official Carnival tours when going to the mainland-the ferry back and forth get full and you want the boat to wait for you-they will not wait if you are stuck on the mainland with a private tour. On your own is OK right in Cozumel where you do not have a ferry involved)[/quote]

Righto, my advice per taking a Taxi is only if you are going from Calica, not from Coz, the ferry can be unpredictable and you wouldn't want to miss your boat. I just checked current taxi rates, about $40 and 45 minutes to an hour each way (40 miles)

We found the taxis to be clean & safe and it was nice to see the ruins without the crowds. You can also take the local collectivo (bus) for $3.00 if you're adventurous ;)

[quote name='lccruiser2006']Try to do it from Calica! You'll avoid the ferry to the mainland. Many other things to do in Cozumel! The view from Tulum is just amazing. Have a great cruise[/quote]

So true - we have done both form Cozumel and Calica - the port of Calica isn't that great, but it does avoid the ferry to Tulum.

We LOVE Tulum!! To me, it's like a picture postcard in every direction! I can't wait to go back there again!

Archived