How do I compare amenities of diff. cruiselines?

Alaskabound2011

I am in the beginning stages of planning an Alaska Cruise for 2011, and I’m a bit overwhelmed with my choices. First I would like to narrow down which cruise line we want to sail with. Does anyone know of a easy website to do a comparison of the different amenities offered by each company?

I’m interested in finding out things such as:

• Which ships have a good kids program for my (by that time) almost 4 year old son.
  • Which ships can best cater to my vegetarian (ovo-lacto, we eat eggs & dairy) diet.
  • Which ships will have programs focusing on natural Alaska.
  • I’m also having trouble figuring out what activities and programs are offered on the specific ships that sail to Alaska.
  • Do any cruise lines offer a discount for the third person in the room who is a child, or will my son always be full price?

I guess what we want is a ship that caters to BOTH the adults and the child in the group. One who has fun and silly ship programs along with education programs about the natural wonders of Alaska. I’m not looking for fancy and upscale, more comfortable and laid back, maybe with flexible dining times. We will probably get a balcony cabin, but not a suite.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give this overwhelmed planner!

Check out HAL - they're offering third and fourth persons in cabin free - well they are for 2010 anyway. And I notice they do it for most Alaskan cruises getting closer to the season, so while the 2011 itineraries may not show it, if you can restrain yourself from booking right off the bat, some good prices and free 3rd and 4th person rates may come thru for you.

I've only ever sailed on HAL to Alaska - going on our third on May 31st. We did see the kids having a wonderful time in the Kids' Club, so you might want to consider them. Princess also does very well in Alaska for families, as does Carnival, Celebrity, and RCI, from what I hear.

Don't know how to compasre cruiselines other than doing your homework. Try going to the library, taking out Frommers, Fodors, or Alaska by Cruiseship, etc. Read, read, read these boards, do the search function (upper right side) and search for specific things that may have already been addressed here. Or ask a specific question. Folks on this board are very willing to help. If you can narrow down your questions, interests, and requests, it makes it easier on those of us who may have the knowledge you need to get the trip you want.

Alaska is magnificent - you will just love it! Great cruise choice!

By your list, HAL is also the one, that looks to fit the best. They are known for offering 3/4 person sales, and have an excellent ship naturalist on board. Princess also has ship naturalists. NCL and RCI may have "lecture's", but most of the time they know little about Alaska. Celebrity is hit or miss. Carnival has excellent ship naturalists.

All have good kid's programs.

Do NOT expect any line to be loaded with "ship" activities, if you are comparing them to the Caribbean.

All lines have LIMITED vegetarian selections.

You may want to also focus on the routing and itinerary.

Archived