12 hours in Juneau...what to do?

cruisin'mama

We just booked our July 2011 cruise ( I know , so far away! ) and had planned on doing the Tracy Arm trip with Adventure Bound, but the Millenium isn't going to get into Juneau until 9am in 2011 ( instead of 8am) and so we won't be able to do it. I am bummed!!!!! So now we have 12 hours to fill. We are planning to do whale watching in ICP so don't want to do that. We are also doing glacier hiking and dog sledding out of Seward. We are thinking maybe hike around Mendenhall for a few hours and maybe have a rental car to go other places. We might want to go to some really pretty spot for a picnic. Any suggestions ? Are there any things that you can only do in Juneau when you have a long port time? We really enjoy scenic things. This really threw us for a loop.

Thanks for any ideas!

Good morning, again...CM...

Since you were nice enough to tip us off that the 2011 prices were available at the Captain's Club desk ( even before they were on the website), I thought I'd take a run at this question.

Mrs Steve-O and I were in Alaska in 2008. We booked a combo tour through the cruiseline (RCCL). We made a stop at Mendenhall Glacier...very close up view ( we missed a couple of bears that wandered through the area about an hour before we got there..DRATS!). Next was a very successful whale watching cruise...great operators, great tour boat.

Then....we stopped at a lodge for an all-you-can eat Salmon feed with all the trimmings. Best meal we had all cruise.

This excursion ranks very high on our all-time list of faves. In fact, if we make it to AK next year ( still choking on the prices we saw today!), we'll certainly re-do this excursion.

Happy Travels, thanks again for the tip this morning.

Steve

Hi STEVE-O,

Glad I could help. I was anxiously waiting the release of Alaska 2011 as were many I think.

As for the tour, my friend really wants to do a "bear excursion" but I wasn't thinking of Juneau as the port to accomplish this. Maybe I need to research that!

Thanks and I hope you get to go too!

Lots of tours in Juneau on the docks. Here are some things to look at. St. Therese shrine, Mendenhall Glacier, Douglas Island rain forest trail and Mt. Roberts tram.(Trails leave from there up on to the tundra to Mt. Roberts. All of these are on line and should help you decide. That nice long time will allow for a couple of these or more. I you want more information on any in particular I will see if I can help.

Hiking at Mendenhall is one of the things that we will probably do for part of the time. With any luck, she'll be able to see a bear or two there if we're there long enough. Since we have a lot of time, I'll have to figure out which will be the best trail to take.

Hi STEVE-O' date='

Glad I could help. I was anxiously waiting the release of Alaska 2011 as were many I think.

As for the tour, my friend really wants to do a "bear excursion" but I wasn't thinking of Juneau as the port to accomplish this. Maybe I need to research that!

Thanks and I hope you get to go too![/quote']

The bear excursion to do out of Juneau is Pack Creek.

Lots of tours in Juneau on the docks. Here are some things to look at. St. Therese shrine, Mendenhall Glacier, Douglas Island rain forest trail and Mt. Roberts tram.(Trails leave from there up on to the tundra to Mt. Roberts. All of these are on line and should help you decide. That nice long time will allow for a couple of these or more. I you want more information on any in particular I will see if I can help.

There aren't a "lot of tours on the docks". Actually it is extremely limited compared to what is overall available. I suggest having all plans and reservations in place before you go, so as to not waste valuable time.

"St. Thresa's Shrine"???? Douglas Island???? You missed a signifant factor, both of these require transportation. A rental is an excellent way to get to both. Only ONE rental company does dock pick ups.

Thanks BQ. What is there to do on Douglas Island? I started to do some research and haven't come up with too much except something called False Outer Point for a picnic. We think we might go with the car rental, so which company is it that comes to the dock? Other ideas to do with a car rental? I have saved some sites that have trails listed for hiking. Any favorites?

Thanks BQ. What is there to do on Douglas Island? I started to do some research and haven't come up with too much except something called False Outer Point for a picnic. We think we might go with the car rental' date=' so which company is it that comes to the dock? Other ideas to do with a car rental? I have saved some sites that have trails listed for hiking. Any favorites?[/quote']

Rent A Wreck.

There is hiking on Douglas Island, some water access. 55 Ways to Wilderness is an excellent hiking guide.

I recommend taking a cab to the Mendenhall glacier and spending all your time there. Salmon in the streams, bears on the banks, a bear cub in a tree, icebergs in the lake, a huge glacier coming down off jagged mountains and a trail to a huge waterfall. What more can you ask for in a day spent in Alaska's capital?!

OP said she's whale watching at another port.

Hardly anyone comes over to Douglas Island, which is a good reason to go. You'll see the bridge as your vessel docks. If you go to the right coming off the bridge, you'll go to False Outer Point. There's lots of great views along the way, including of Mendenhall Glacier. However, be aware, there's NO SERVICES out this way. There's a few portapotties along the way, but nothing else. This is one End of the Road for Juneau.

If you go to the left off the bridge, you'll end up in Douglas the town in about five minutes. At that End of the Road, there's a great, easy hike and access to our one white sand beach.

The classic Out the Road takes you to the Shrine and there's several great spots for picnics along the way. If it's raining, Auke Bay Recreation Area has covered picnic areas. Lena Cove is another place no tourist goes but no covered tables. Both have pit toilets. The shrine has tables as well, but no cover.

You cannot eat at Mendenhall because of the bears.

I'm not sure where Rent a Wreck's new location is, but I believe it's near downtown now? (I need to find out) In that case, you can get a premade sandwich and other foods at the A&P market. There's also a couple of Subways in Juneau, but I dislike their sandwiches. :D But google their locations if that's your thing. I'd recommend the Breeze-in in either Lemon Creek or the Valley for much better food. (The one in Douglas doesn't have much food. It's where everyone goes for the night's bottle.)

tee harbor- thanks for the terrific info. It sounds like Douglas Island is perfect! How much time do you think we should allow? If we go to Mendenhall and hike there first, grab a sack lunch in Juneau somewhere then cross the bridge and drive around and picnic over there. Where do you suggest we picnic? The white sand beach? ( Or do you you think we should head out to the bay first and picnic there and then head over to the Island?)

Then if we have any time left, we can drive to the other places like the Shrine and the Brewery.:) ( I know, those 2 don't go together in the same sentence!)

Thanks again!

tee harbor- thanks for the terrific info. It sounds like Douglas Island is perfect! How much time do you think we should allow? If we go to Mendenhall and hike there first' date=' grab a sack lunch in Juneau somewhere then cross the bridge and drive around and picnic over there. Where do you suggest we picnic? The white sand beach? ( Or do you you think we should head out to the bay first and picnic there and then head over to the Island?)

Then if we have any time left, we can drive to the other places like the Shrine and the Brewery.:) ( I know, those 2 don't go together in the same sentence!)

Thanks again![/quote']

If you have any interest include the shrine when at Mendenhall, the shrine is PAST Mendenhall in the opposite direction of Douglas Island. Also include the quick stop at Chapel on the Lake at Alaska U, and Auke Bay- always see eagles, and at low tide, some pretty interesting "stuff"- starfish etc.

The Brewery is between downtown and Mendenhall Glacier. I suggest you take a look at a map, to do your routing.

I've hiked by the ski area on Douglas Island.

Thanks BQ, good stuff like always!

So....maybe rent the car, pick up lunch and leave it in a cooler in the car while we hike around Mendenhall, then drive to the Shrine and have our picinic at Auke Bay ( hopefully time it for low tide, that would be really cool) then stop by the Brewery on our way to Douglas Island and finish off our day there.

I'll have to download a map of the area.

Thanks again :)

Thanks BQ' date=' good stuff like always!

So....maybe rent the car, pick up lunch and leave it in a cooler in the car while we hike around Mendenhall, then drive to the Shrine and have our picinic at Auke Bay ( hopefully time it for low tide, that would be really cool) then stop by the Brewery on our way to Douglas Island and finish off our day there.

I'll have to download a map of the area.

Thanks again :)[/quote']

Yes that is a good routing. An alternative to picking up your lunch first, you will pass by Walmart, and Fred Meyer, on the way to Mendenhall, it isn't a far backtrack either. Both would have food options. Or just stop at Hot Bites in Auke Bay for food.

Over picking up lunch at Walmart or Fred Meyer, I'd recommend stopping at the Breeze-in on Concrete Way (I know, but it's an industrial area). Check google maps. The Brewery is basically across the street, and Walmart or Fed Meyer is another mile or so along Old Glacier Hwy. So you could pick up a good lunch at the Breeze-in, grab a cheap foam cooler and ice and other supplies at on of the box stores, and have your beer taste.

ETA:

So maybe backtrack a little after Mendenhall to grab our lunch so it doesn't sit in the car while we hike.

I'd invest the couple of bucks in the cooler and ice rather than waste the time. Seriously, it'd be another hour RT to go back to Freddies/Walmart. As BQ always says, you have to weight lost time versus lost money. At the end of the trip, would you trade the $20-$50 you may have spent on saving time on various choices over the extra sights the time gained you?

Then hit the glacier. When finished there, instead of returning to Glacier Hwy, go on the Back Loop, and drive out Montana Creek Road to see the west side of Mendenhall Lake. (something people don't generally do either.). The Back Loop connects with Glacier Hwy right at Auke Bay and you can head Out the Road from there.

After the Shrine, or all the way Out the Road, turn back and stay on Glacier Hwy this time. Stop at Auke Lake/Chapel by the Lake. Then do Douglas on the way back to drop off the car. You can get distances on something like google maps, but don't expect to go faster than 50 miles an hour at any time. These are two lane country roads and of course, you'll be wanting to stop along the way or go slowly because of the possibility of animals on the road.

I wouldn't worry about picking out a place to eat until you start to get hungry. There's tons of spots out the road, as long as it's not raining. Lots of little beaches with just a pull out by the side of the road, or some big place like Eagle Beach, with tables and toilets.

The Hot Bite at Auke Bay is another good choice, because you can get hot food or eat indoors if it's really pouring. Or you can stop on the way back for one of their amazing milkshakes. Or go to The SE Waffle Company across the road for a hot chocolate and waffle, if it's cooler. These are the last services other than pit toilets before you're heading Out the Road, btw.

Archived