All Things Fantasy

NCTribeFan

Thank you twentyknots. That is exactly what we were hoping to do.

I know there is a thread dedicated to charleston but I wanted to ask if anyone here has suggestions on a great breakfast place to eat downtown the morning of the cruise. We only live a few hours away and will be driving in that morning. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Hominy Grill is excellent. We ate breakfast there after getting off the Fantasy just last month. It's only about 8 minutes from the cruise terminal.

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone give me information in the Fairfield Inn in North Charleston? We will be staying there the night before our cruise. We sail on April 26,2014. Any good restaurants or any other places to go close by?

Karen

I assume you are staying at the Fairfield near the Tanger Outlet? (there are 3 in North Charleston). If so, you are a close drive to all the "chain" restaurants near the Outlet (Fatz Cafe and Jim and Nick's BBQ being the best) or you could drive about 10 minutes to the East Montague Area in North Charleston which is a cluster of really great, local restaurants or you could venture downtown in about 15 minutes if you want to try some of the best restaurants in the Country. Warning, if you want to go downtown, you need reservations in advance, often days or weeks in advance depending on the restaurant. Our peak tourism season started last weekend with the Food and Wine Festival and runs through the end of next December. We are wall to wall visitors from here on..... It would be well worth the effort to get away from the Chain restaurants near the outlet, you are so close to so many nice places (and not all expensive). Your hotel is a newer hotel in an area that is now very popular and quite safe (not true 8-10 years ago in that part of North Charleston). FYI, North Charleston and Charleston are two distinct and different cities.

It's on North Forest Drive. Since I'm not familiar with charleston I'm not sure if it's near the outlet or not. And we do want to find a nice restaurant that is not the basic chain that we can go to anytime. Want to experience some of the local restaurants......especially seafood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[img[/img]

It's on North Forest Drive. Since I'm not familiar with charleston I'm not sure if it's near the outlet or not. And we do want to find a nice restaurant that is not the basic chain that we can go to anytime. Want to experience some of the local restaurants......especially seafood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Karen, that Inn is a little (3 miles or less) further out (North) than the one at the outlet mall is was thinking of but it makes no difference.

If you really want to take advantage of the best port that you will be in on this cruise, I would suggest you go downtown Charleston for your dinner. I can suggest a place for GREAT seafood that is within walking distance of the best blocks of downtown Charleston (The Market, King Street, etc). Please feel free to email me and I will give you links, a map and directions from your hotel. It is probably 20 minutes from your hotel to a parking garage in downtown Charleston and I promise you it would be worth a drive three times that far. (my email is dillon99@comcast.net)

And just to test my ability to use dropbox to post photos inside posts, here (hopefully) is a photo I took of the Carnival Fantasy back in January from my boat at the Patriots Point Marina, which is the closest marina on the Charleston harbor to the Cruise ship terminal.

FantasyFog-2014-01-05-2.jpg

I've been ignoring my dear, old Fantasy just because I'm sailing two "new" ships (for me) this year. I still hope to squeeze in a quickie on her at some point.

Hope to hear where Zelia's being posted. I suppose I could write to Michael at the Players Club and ask him. Not sure they're allowed to give out that info. I could just be some stalker, for all he knows! :p

I hope people are keeping the threads current on the East Coast Departures board. That's really where the hotels/shuttle/restaurant stuff needs to be so everyone can find it. Yes, she's the only ship sailing from Charleston currently, but my original intent was for the thread to be MOSTLY about the ship.

I'm going to miss being on her in May (if we pass, be sure to wave!). I'll have to get every last detail from my friends who are on the 5/6 sailing.

P.S. Love the pics. No, you can't upload from your computer - has to be hosted online somewhere.

Where would be the best location on the ship for sail away?

If the weather is nice you can go to the Verandah deck, walk all the way down the hallway towards the front and you will find a door that goes outside. Nice wide deck... no chairs though and watch (or, listen) out for the horn... IT'S LOUD! You can also get to the deck by walking forward on Lido deck and climbing some stairs.

Serenity is not bad either.

Have a wonderful cruise!

If the weather is nice you can go to the Verandah deck, walk all the way down the hallway towards the front and you will find a door that goes outside. Nice wide deck... no chairs though and watch (or, listen) out for the horn... IT'S LOUD! You can also get to the deck by walking forward on Lido deck and climbing some stairs.

Serenity is not bad either.

Have a wonderful cruise!

We've been on 3 fantasy ships and this past sept was the 1st time I remembered to look for that "secret" door on the V deck. It was great! We went at night and mid afternoon. We were the only people both times and felt like it was a secret! Pretty windy at night but awesome:D

• 2 weeks later...
We'll be staying there on our first night because you can't beat their nightly rate, but booked the Radisson in North Charleston for the night before the cruise just for parking and included round trip shuttle at a great price. Trip Advisor has a lot of mixed reviews on the Radisson, which has me concerned, but since it's only one night and not an extended stay we decided to stick with it. This will be our first visit to Charleston, so that's why we wanted a couple days stay before the cruise. Two vacarions in one, like you said :p

Sent from my LG-L38C using Forums mobile app

If it makes you feel better, we stayed there this past September, left our car and didn't have any problems. I parked in front of the hotel, under lights. Like any hotel, hide anything or better yet don't leave anything of value in your car. Mine is a very nice car, if anyone looked in, it was empty. No matter where I have stayed in the past,I was just happy to still see it there when we returned. Your car will be fine. :)

If it makes you feel better, we stayed there this past September, left our car and didn't have any problems. I parked in front of the hotel, under lights. Like any hotel, hide anything or better yet don't leave anything of value in your car. Mine is a very nice car, if anyone looked in, it was empty. No matter where I have stayed in the past,I was just happy to still see it there when we returned. Your car will be fine. :)

Thank you very much for the info! How was the hotel room itself if you don't mund my asking? We leave in less than 3 weeks and can't wait :D

Sent from my LG-L38C using Forums mobile app