All Things Fantasy

NCTribeFan

For anyone who's actually flown into Charleston to sail on the Fantasy (since this wouldn't be offered to people who drove), do they offer Luggage Express?

And if they do, do you know anyone who did it from Charleston and if it all went smoothly?

Thanks in advance. I have 3 months till my trip. Can't wait.

We are crusing on the Fantasy in 9 days! First family cruise and our first time on Carnival. We can't wait. I have a question though, can you bring curling irons or hot rollers onto a cruise ship? I just got my hair done but in order for it to look good I have to curl my hair. I didn't even think about it until now and I am worried I am going to look a mess in all of the photos. I was going to use this as an opportunity to get family photos finally taken. I know what a thing to worry about! :D

I brought my curling iron, flat iron, and hair dryer above the Triumph in June with no problem. Last year I took my hot rollers on the Fantasy, I didn't bring them this year because they took up too much room in my suitcase.

However, I thought I read that the Fantasy was going to go to drydock at the end of this year. Does anyone know if its true and for what.

I am so glad my hair won't look a mess. Thanks for responding. I will be sure to post pictures (once I figure out how ;)) when we get back of Charleston and the ship. I know it helps me out a lot when I plan a trip. We leave in 5 days to head down to Charleston. This weekend is nothing but laundry and packing. I have 3 kids a husband plus myself I got to pack. Plus I have to get the dogs stuff ready to go as she is staying at a friends house while we are gone. This is the longest we have ever left her and I am really sad but I am sure once we start having fun I will not worry too much about her.

Someone asked upthread about luggage express. I drove, so never even looked for it, but I did finally scan and upload my Fun Times from May. I guess I posted the link in my review and neglected to post it here.

Anyway, have a look.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/578014287qxHDCv

I'm thinking that it wasn't offered. As noted (or maybe it was in my review thread, too), the terminal is VERY small and access is difficult.

Keep looking at the prices, hoping to find a great price on something/anything, but it isn't happening. I need another cruise! I at least need another one booked!

I'm thinking that it wasn't offered. As noted (or maybe it was in my review thread, too), the terminal is VERY small and access is difficult.

That's why I thought it would be offered, much easier to offload all those suitcases straight to a truck than to lay them all out for people to pickup.

Oh, well, I'll just ask the hotel I stay in beforehand if I can store my luggage there for a couple of hours since I don't want to go straight to the airport.

You forgot "hot". :D

Dude....you are so right. Noting you are fom Columbia....the hottest hellhole on planet Earth, I stand corrected. Just a few miles northwest of you, but plenty HOT here as well. I guess my brain was fried from the heat.....gesh....how could I forget that??????

Edited by Chief Cruiser

Just uploaded my Fantasy Fun Times from my sailing on June 5, 2010 onto my review if you are interested. It was the 6 day sailing to Key West, Freeport and Nassau...FINALLY!

Thanks so much!!!!!! I'll print them off and see how they turn out.

Hard to read that green font!

Don't know if it's upthread (probably), but - again - check the East Coast Departures thread. That's where I did all my reading and questioning prior to my cruise about early embarkation and VIP issues.

Apparently you cannot arrive super early like at some ports. I don't even remember what time we arrived now (you can find my review thread by clicking my name, then statistics tab, then threads started by me). But everything I had read had pretty much said that early embarkation isn't really an option, especially if you're parking there. In fact, because the parking situation is so limited, you can't arrive extra early because you aren't allowed to park. People posted about getting there early and then having to sit in a line in the car for 1+ hours.

Just isn't worth it. I wouldn't get there earlier than 11. By the time you do luggage, security and checkin, you should be able to board and head to Lido for lunch.

Does anyone know what time the start check in and boarding? All information says noon but just wondering if they allow earlier boarding?

We arrived onboard with drink in hand by 12:30pm. I want to say we pulled into the port area via cab by 11:50 or so. I wouldnt recommend getting there any earlier than that just simply because on debarkation day, we were zone 17 and got called off the ship at just about 11am. As we were walking out I overheard one of the crew say..."that leaves 200 people still onboard". So, 200 people still onboard and it's 11am? :eek: Yeah, that has GOT to be a hard turnaround for the stewards/staff.

I wrote a review as well if you want more details. Mine was from the June 5th sailing.

We arrived onboard with drink in hand by 12:30pm. I want to say we pulled into the port area via cab by 11:50 or so. I wouldnt recommend getting there any earlier than that just simply because on debarkation day, we were zone 17 and got called off the ship at just about 11am. As we were walking out I overheard one of the crew say..."that leaves 200 people still onboard". So, 200 people still onboard and it's 11am? :eek: Yeah, that has GOT to be a hard turnaround for the stewards/staff.

I wrote a review as well if you want more details. Mine was from the June 5th sailing.

Her review is so well worth your time to read! Excellent info on Fantasy! :)

The South Carolina State Ports Authority (SCSPA), which owns and operates Charleston’s cruise facility, approved today the purchase of a new, custom passenger loading bridge to safely transition cruise guests from the passenger terminal to the cruise ship’s loading doors.

The new, state-of-the-art gangway will feature a hydraulic system to change the elevation and match up with doors on various ships. The SCSPA identified Sweden-based FMT Aircraft Gate Support Systems AB as the preferred vendor and will attempt to finalize a contract to design, construct and deliver a gangway that meets all current laws, regulations, codes and satisfies operating requirements. The gangway along with other improvements should be delivered in February at a cost not to exceed $2.75 million.

This good news and the first step in the upcoming improvements to the new cruise terminal being built.