All Things Fantasy

NCTribeFan

tmchoney - I responded to your thread a few minutes ago.

I bought drink coupons once. Kept leaving them in the cabin. Some servers would take the coupon; some would charge for the difference between the coupon value and the drink.

I'm pretty much a wine drinker so now I usually purchase a wine package.

No charge for the sauna or steam room.

Edited by NCTribeFan

Any of you Fantasy Fans done a B2B? I'm torn between wanting to just stay on the ship and enjoy the turnaround day and getting off and wandering around the beautiful historic district. I could even get a carriage ride in there.

And with the Charleston port being so strange (boarding-wise), I'm just not sure I want to bother. But I do love Charleston and won't be arriving until early evening the day before I sail, which won't leave me much time in town.

Hoping more recent Fantasy pax who may not be inclined to post full reviews will chime in here with the thoughts. :D

I'm pretty much set with my plans while cruising, I just haven't taken care of the pre-cruise hotel.

Let me know if you want me to check any of them out. I dont mind stopping if it is a place that is on my way home.

Are you looking for downtown or just relatively close by?

I can't afford downtown! Wish I could. :o

Plus, I need to leave my car for 12 days. Since my friend who's joining me for Leg 2 is going to park at the port, I only need transportion one way (back to the hotel when we all return). I was going to book DD at the same hotel, so all 4 of us can just leave the ship together, and she can drop the 3 of us off.

But it seems something is happening the weekend they board (sailing 10/27) and a lot of the hotels I looked at either have no availability (Hampton Patriots Point) or are WAY more expensive for that night than on my pre-sailing night on 10/21 (Holiday Inn Riverview).

I've stayed at Hyatt Place in FLL and Jax and really liked them. They have a parking package, but don't include transportation. But I'll only need it 1-way.

I just need to get on the ball and book something!

On the east coast departures section, someone posted a link where you could figure out cab fares for Charleston, that might come in handy!

I'm glad I found this thread, I am excited to sail the Fantasy! I've wanted to sail a Fantasy class ship for some time, but didn't want to do less than 7 days. We were considering a b2b, but saw this 7 day sailing and jumped on it! Charleston is such an easy drive from here, we are trying to recruit friends to join us and with such a close departure port, we're hoping that that will do the trick. If not our group of 4 friends will have a blast anyway!

Yes, bobsfamily posted that taxi-fare link thanks to me begging for info. :p

The 5+7 night B2B is costing the same as the 5+4 on Ecstasy because we can drive to the port. I love sailing out of Port Canaveral, but there is a lot more involved if you fly - transportation to and from the airport being the biggest headache. Cocoa Beach is a fun place to visit, but Charleston is simply wonderful.

I'm serously thinking about looking for a job in that area.

When I was last on Fantasy, I thought she looked great for her age. I hadn't seen her since they'd done her makeover.

The Spirit-class ships are my favorites (only been on Miracle twice) just because the layout is simply wonderful compared to Carnival's other variations-on-a-floating-shoebox designs.

But boarding Fantasy and her sister ships truly feels like coming home. I have all my favorite places and know which areas to avoid. I don't need a supper club (although a Fish & Chips would be nice!). Having only one small pool doesn't affect me because I've never, ever been in a Lido pool on any ship. The only pool I've been in is the spa pool on Glory.

I love the outdoor Lido eating areas, the Serenity Deck, the library (if you can find it open) and the piano bar (when nothing's going on).

We are going to the Dream out of PC in Nov... great deal, something different but I will back on the Fantasy in the not to distant future. Just to close and as many say, I really know the layout, never get in the pool, enjoy the rest of the ship. All have a great trip!

I can't afford downtown! Wish I could. :o

Plus, I need to leave my car for 12 days. Since my friend who's joining me for Leg 2 is going to park at the port, I only need transportion one way (back to the hotel when we all return). I was going to book DD at the same hotel, so all 4 of us can just leave the ship together, and she can drop the 3 of us off.

But it seems something is happening the weekend they board (sailing 10/27) and a lot of the hotels I looked at either have no availability (Hampton Patriots Point) or are WAY more expensive for that night than on my pre-sailing night on 10/21 (Holiday Inn Riverview).

It appears that there is a military reunion as well as some sort of regatta and an American Lung Association run/walk.

I really havent been recommending the West Ashley area but Charleston PD has really stepped up their patrols so there is that. The Sleep Inn (which is a relatively new within the last 10 years property) appears to be running at $89 a night. Clean property and interior access. Let me know if you want me to stop by and check it out. I stayed there once a few years ago.:o

Yes, bobsfamily posted that taxi-fare link thanks to me begging for info. :p

The 5+7 night B2B is costing the same as the 5+4 on Ecstasy because we can drive to the port. I love sailing out of Port Canaveral, but there is a lot more involved if you fly - transportation to and from the airport being the biggest headache. Cocoa Beach is a fun place to visit, but Charleston is simply wonderful.

I'm serously thinking about looking for a job in that area.

When I was last on Fantasy, I thought she looked great for her age. I hadn't seen her since they'd done her makeover.

The Spirit-class ships are my favorites (only been on Miracle twice) just because the layout is simply wonderful compared to Carnival's other variations-on-a-floating-shoebox designs.

But boarding Fantasy and her sister ships truly feels like coming home. I have all my favorite places and know which areas to avoid. I don't need a supper club (although a Fish & Chips would be nice!). Having only one small pool doesn't affect me because I've never, ever been in a Lido pool on any ship. The only pool I've been in is the spa pool on Glory.

I love the outdoor Lido eating areas, the Serenity Deck, the library (if you can find it open) and the piano bar (when nothing's going on).

We have sailed out of PC twice, staying at the Residence Inn Marriott. We love this port. It's a fairly easy drive too.

I agree with spirit class ships, so far that is My favorite Carnival design. I do love the Conquest/Dream/Splendor classes for their front facing cabins. Great price, picture window, and deck access right outside your door, next best thing to a balcony, but much cheaper!

I've been in a Carnival pool once, and that was on the Glory in the aft adult pool, so I couldn't care less about pool access. Some friends love the water slides though.

Edited by bakechef

It appears that there is a military reunion as well as some sort of regatta and an American Lung Association run/walk.

I really havent been recommending the West Ashley area but Charleston PD has really stepped up their patrols so there is that.

West Ashley has some great areas BUT some that you do not want be around, a real shame. It really is hit/miss...

We have sailed out of PC twice, staying at the Residence Inn Marriott. We love this port. It's a fairly easy drive too.

I agree with spirit class ships, so far that is My favorite Carnival design. I do love the Conquest/Dream/Splendor classes for their front facing cabins. Great price, picture window, and deck access right outside your door, next best thing to a balcony, but much cheaper!

I've been in a Carnival pool once, and that was on the Glory in the aft adult pool, so I couldn't care less about pool access. Some friends love the water slides though.

I had a 4J on Victory when the itinerary was a port every day. Unfortunately, I picked on of the end cabins, just because I wanted something different (yes, I knew it was HC modified and had my PVP note that I would be quite willing to move if the cabin were needed).

The door slamming out to the not-so-secret deck was very annoying, since my bed was against that hull wall and the head of it was against the little bit of hallway right by the door. All anyone has to do is close one of the doors before opening the other and that wind-tunnel effect goes away. Given that we were out touring every day, all day, it was a pretty exhausting cruise and having my sleep interrupted several times every night/very early morning wasn't nice. I'd take one of the center cabins, but never again on the end.

OK, rant over! :D

I've pretty much settled on the Hyatt Place Convention Center by the airport. Just have to book the rooms and see how much extra they want to charge me for the extra couple of nights (park-n-cruise rate incudes 10 nights parking and I'm on a 12-night b2b). No port shuttle, but I'd just need a 1-way taxi for boarding.

I had a 4J on Victory when the itinerary was a port every day. Unfortunately, I picked on of the end cabins, just because I wanted something different (yes, I knew it was HC modified and had my PVP note that I would be quite willing to move if the cabin were needed).

The door slamming out to the not-so-secret deck was very annoying, since my bed was against that hull wall and the head of it was against the little bit of hallway right by the door. All anyone has to do is close one of the doors before opening the other and that wind-tunnel effect goes away. Given that we were out touring every day, all day, it was a pretty exhausting cruise and having my sleep interrupted several times every night/very early morning wasn't nice. I'd take one of the center cabins, but never again on the end.

OK, rant over! :D

I've pretty much settled on the Hyatt Place Convention Center by the airport. Just have to book the rooms and see how much extra they want to charge me for the extra couple of nights (park-n-cruise rate incudes 10 nights parking and I'm on a 12-night b2b). No port shuttle, but I'd just need a 1-way taxi for boarding.

We had the end one (splendor), HC, didn't realize that it was an accessable room until we boarded, we enjoyed the space, and didn't mind the weird bed configuration. We were lucky that many didn't discover the "secret door" but those that did, we really felt the "thump" of the door slamming! On the dream, we went more toward the middle and it was much better!

Nice place INSIDE... as you have a car you can drive to places very near.. I would NOT walk anywhere after dark. This area is on the edge of a lot of industrial stuff. It is a very short drive to Centre Pointe which has all kinds of restaurants, shops, Tanger Outlet, Walmart, Sams, etc.

All4fun,

Do you know if the Courtyard in Mt. Pleasant is in a good area? I still don't know if we aren't driving down that morning. We are about 5 hours from Charleston, and I think the prices for these hotels that offer the ride to the port is expensive, but no more than paying for the week at the port.

You sure you don't want to start a business telling all of us NORMAL, perfect strangers where you live so you can charge us a fair fee for use of your driveway for the week?? :p

All4fun,

Do you know if the Courtyard in Mt. Pleasant is in a good area? I still don't know if we aren't driving down that morning. We are about 5 hours from Charleston, and I think the prices for these hotels that offer the ride to the port is expensive, but no more than paying for the week at the port.

You sure you don't want to start a business telling all of us NORMAL, perfect strangers where you live so you can charge us a fair fee for use of your driveway for the week?? :p

LOL, it would add a few bucks to the cookie jar for the next cruise...

I have never stayed at it but have gone by it a thousand times and the location is fine. It is just off the Loop 526 that comes off of 1-26 and just off of US HWY 17. Not really a walking area but a very short ride away is Town Center which is a huge shopping area will all kinds of restaurants/shops/etc. I think you would do fine and it's about a 15 minute ride to the port.

Way back when I started this thread, there was a thread on the East Coast Departures board where someone posted this...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=154697&d=1272665436

I thought I'd put it here for those who have never seen it. Back then, I figured we'd have a new terminal by now, but those Historic Preservation types in Charleston certainly slow things down, don't they?

Anyway, looking at the photo, the big white tent to the right is where you drop your luggage. If you're parking, I don't know if you do that first then go park or if you go park and your luggage is picked up there. Anyway, if you're dropped off, you leave your luggage then show your docs again (you had to before you entered the pier area), and wait for the shuttle where the Star is on the map. Then you're driven 3/4 around the block and dropped at the terminal building.

No separate VIP security line like at some ports, but after scanning, you then head to whichever checkin line.

Thought this might be useful. Making final payment for Leg 2 soon. Leg 1, being a 5-day, is due late. Just something else to keep me confused! :p

All4fun,

Seriously...we have entertained this. We have also entertained letting people stay overnight since we have a guest room but I doubt anyone really wants to drive out to Hollywood. :)

Pretty much anything in Mt. Pleasant is good to go.

Back then, I figured we'd have a new terminal by now, but those Historic Preservation types in Charleston certainly slow things down, don't they?

Seriously, it is making me CRAZY! I want our new port and I want to kick all those Historic Preservationists in the teeth. I am really not a violent person. :D

Well, I must say that I like to see these historic towns preserved. But the Charlestonians strike me as just a tad too reactionary. I mean, it's already a working port! That's what Charleston was to begin with! So, let it continue to work!

BTW, I'm a CPA. If you hear of any jobs for a tax preparer, let me know! ;)

If u are parking at port, ticket check, then drive to next stop to drop of luggage, then drive to parking hangars, then walk to shuttle bus to terminal. It seems like a lot but it is very organized. Tons of people to direct where to go. Make sure u listen and only bring carry on baggage to get on shuttle like they told u at luggage drop off. Some people tried to bring big suitcase on the shuttle and they surely fussed at them and didn' let them bring it on. Back to luggage drop off...lol:p

Well, I must say that I like to see these historic towns preserved. But the Charlestonians strike me as just a tad too reactionary. I mean, it's already a working port! That's what Charleston was to begin with! So, let it continue to work!

BTW, I'm a CPA. If you hear of any jobs for a tax preparer, let me know! ;)

It's a very small amount of people that still live in the 19th century and don't want all "those people" milling around downtown bothering them. If you don't have relatives that have lived downtown for at least 5 generations you really are not part of "them"... preferably going back to revolutionary times.

Other than this small section the rest really, really want a new terminal.

Are the public areas kept frigidly cold so that I'll need to bring a sweater and wrap or three to keep from freezing after a day in the sun?

Yes, yes, YES!! This was about the only disappointment in my two recent Fantasy cruises. The library was too cold to enjoy playing board games in. When we mentioned it to the attendant, she said she could not do anything about it. And the buffet area was also freezing cold.

Other than that, our party had a wonderful time. We really enjoyed the afternoon tea.

Kathy

I don't do breakfast in the MDR any more. Last time, we were seated at a 10-top and it took FOREVER to get breakfast. Even just to get drinks.

No, you don't sit in any particular place; it's open seating but you'll be seated. They fill up tables in certain sections and you just sit where they put you.

We've always requested a smaller table (for however many are in our party - sometimes just DH and myself). Never a problem. I don't like a table full of strangers for one meal only. I feel I need to go through the entire introductions and niceties. It's fine when you will be eating dinner with them all week (in fact, we LOVE traditional seating), but no thanks for just one meal.

Kathy