All Things Fantasy

NCTribeFan

I remember when parking at the pier in Charleston (NCL Majesty), it was a confusing looking mess, but everything actually went quite smoothly. I remember driving through an unpaved area full of potholes and mud puddles to get to luggage drop off.

The strangest process that I've ever gone through for a cruise, but we arrived and were some of the first in line, so it was quick and easy.

I remember when parking at the pier in Charleston (NCL Majesty), it was a confusing looking mess, but everything actually went quite smoothly. I remember driving through an unpaved area full of potholes and mud puddles to get to luggage drop off.

The strangest process that I've ever gone through for a cruise, but we arrived and were some of the first in line, so it was quick and easy.

Since Carnival has made it permanent it has gotten better but still you do go thru a maze. It is set up to keep the lines off the streets (again to appease a few folks) and inside the port area. Since we live here we take our luggage down around 10am, drop it off and then later, around 11:30 we get dropped off to the left of the terminal with carry-ons for the bus ride to the terminal. If driving and parking at the terminal you can do the same and bypass long lines for luggage drop-off later.

It's a very small amount of people that still live in the 19th century and don't want all "those people" milling around downtown bothering them. If you don't have relatives that have lived downtown for at least 5 generations you really are not part of "them"... preferably going back to revolutionary times.

Other than this small section the rest really, really want a new terminal.

Arent most of the Historical Society people that arent even from Charleston? I was under the impression that they are transplants.

I am 3rd generation Charlestonian. Cigar Factory was in my family (although you wouldnt know it now) :p. I have even spoken with my mother who is 76 and my dad who is 87 and both are "for" the cruise ship being here. After all, it does bring in revenue. I think my mom even went to school with Mayor Riley. :o

Speaking of the Mayor, I am so glad that he is supportive of the terminal being built. After Hurricane Hugo, I think he did a JAM UP job getting things back to business and even more beautiful than my city was before.

Wow....I didnt mean to jump on the soapbox there. :p

I've read a couple of not so nice things about West Ashley. I have a reservation at the Hampton Inn & Suites West Ashley later this month. I'm doing the Snooze, Cruise & Ride package. Will my car be safe there, will my family be safe there? Did I make a mistake booking this hotel? This is our first time in Charleston and our first Fantasy class cruise.

I've read a couple of not so nice things about West Ashley. I have a reservation at the Hampton Inn & Suites West Ashley later this month. I'm doing the Snooze, Cruise & Ride package. Will my car be safe there, will my family be safe there? Did I make a mistake booking this hotel? This is our first time in Charleston and our first Fantasy class cruise.

You'll be fine at the Hampton Inn. West Ashley is a large area. There are parts that are great and other parts I wouldn't set foot in.

Yes, you are safe there. DBF father stayed there recently when he came to town. My son's father lives just down the street from there and my son often walks to the mall right in front of there so you are good. Not to mention there is an awesome Hibachi restaurant right next door.

That would be great Nancy. BTW, reading your Fantasy reviews helped with my decision to book Fantasy. Thanks.

I am glad to hear that my review was helpful! We cant wait until our next sailing in December.

I will stop by and snap a few pics for you, no problem. It may be about 7pm or so before I post them but I will post them here. I am sure it will be helpful for others as well as yourself. :D

I really am going to book hotel rooms tomorrow. No, really!

I'd personally prefer to be over on Patriot's Point, but the Hampton there is sold out on the night I wanted it for DD, and I want us both in the same place so my friend can drop us all off when we return.

I'm pretty sure I'm either going for the Hampton West Ashley or the Hyatt Place Convention Center. I really only need transportation TO the pier, and DD won't need it at all since my friend can pick them up on her way in (she's parking there). So the Hyatt Place makes sense. I now that I won't be out walking around at night solo, and if the Hyatt Place is like the others I've stayed at - and it will be - I should have a pleasant evening.

NCTribefan, I stayed at the Best Western in Patiot's Point in November--free parking and free breakfast. They called a taxi for my friend and I and we were picked up promptly and dropped off at the cruise port. On our return, we called the same taxi driver and he was right there waiting for us when we returned. It was so easy. And, I cruised with my neighbor that trip and she accidentally left her passport in his taxi--he called her within a half hour to let her know he had it and mailed it to her at her home. She was unaware she dropped it. I would use him again in a heartbeat--Todd (843) 343-6568. I don't have his business card, as she kept it. Prices were per person and very reasonable, but I can't remember how much. Sorry. If you use him, tell him you got the number from the woman who lost her passport in his taxi from Pittsburgh--he hates the Steelers (Dallas Cowboys fan). His little dog is his companion in his cab--very entertaining. Sorry about my rambling.

One more thing, my DH and I cruised out of Charleston in April and decided to park at the port. Although it was very organized with the system they have, there was some crazy back up that day and it took us two hours longer to get on the ship by parking at the port vs. getting dropped off in November. Just sayin. Next time, I'll stay parked at the hotel.

Have fun on your cruises on the Fantasy--my next trip is in October on the Pride. Kari

Nancy,

Your reviews are not only helpful they are DA BOMB!! :D

Possible stupid question... How do I know which nights are formal nights? Do people really get super formal on the Fantasy? Being our first cruise and all. We sail on April 16th.

THANKS!!!

I believe formal nights are the second evening.

Some people get really formal, most are shirt and tie with decent pants. Not extremely formal though.

I'll check out the Best Western, too. Thanks for the info.

And the taxi driver can't be all bad if he hates the Steelers! :p

Elegant night is normally the first sea day (if you have more than 1). That's when the Captain's Party happens, right?

We always dress for dinner, even on other nights. Not as nice, but either a dress or black slacks and nice top. For me, dressing for dinner is part of the fun.

I packed for 2 weeks to Hawaii on HAL (I know we had at least 3 formal nights, maybe 4). We dressed for dinner every evening. I took a 24" rolling case, a medium duffle and a carryon. I didn't do laundry and I still came home with unworn clothes!

I forgot to mention that the Best Western Patriot's Point was only in the upper $80's to stay there. I thought it was a great price and a nice place to spend the night.

That is a great price and so close to the terminal - just a hop across the bridge.

I stopped in at the Hampton Inn & Suites in West Ashley on my way home from work. Just a note to you guys that end up staying there; it can be a little confusing to get to. You have to turn down Ashley Town Center Drive and then make a right onto Citadel Haven Drive (behind the Toyota Dealership) So you actually enter the property from the back and will drive around to the front from there.

The front desk clerk was very friendly and said that I could take some pics of the property. (It's always nice to ask )

Here is a pic of the front where you would drive your car and drop off your luggage and check in

7842BEA7.jpg

Slightly to the right are the rooms. Interior access.

C40675F0.jpg

Here is the lobby. Hardwood floors through out and a fireplace. On the other side of the fireplace is a seating area for breakfast time and beyond that is the outdoor pool.

FAB6A474.jpg

Breakfast area. Looks like there is hot and cold breakfast. I saw waffle irons too.

CE0EEF5E.jpg

Coffeeeeee!!

4C767119.jpg

Pool. If you look in the background you can see a wicked storm rolling in

C1AE0210.jpg

I had the chance to speak with a wonderful man from Canada who is here for the PGA Tournament. He was telling me how lovely the room was and how unbelievably friendly everyone has been. He sounded like he wanted to move to Charleston. LOL.

I hope this helps you guys. If anyone else has any hotels they would like for me to check out...let me know.

Does anybody have any experience with Fantasy's spa? Do they offer port day specials or other daily specials?

Yes, they offer specials. In 2010 I did a mani/pedi combo for $99. Last summer I did a Pick 3 Massage Special for $99.

Does anyone know if the Punchliner Comedy Brunch has made it to the Fantasy? I just booked a 5 day at the end of September, and I haven't seen her in a year.

Yes, they offer specials. In 2010 I did a mani/pedi combo for $99. Last summer I did a Pick 3 Massage Special for $99.

Does anyone know if the Punchliner Comedy Brunch has made it to the Fantasy? I just booked a 5 day at the end of September, and I haven't seen her in a year.

The last time I was on the Fantasy, they just had the Punchliner Comedy in the back lounge. There was no brunch.

Cruise Envy, I always do the spa. Massages are great! They are slightly less $$$ on port days, and if you go alot they will discount each time. I have also taken showers in the spa and used the steamroom. We were on the Fantasy last month and they did not have comedy brunch in MDR. You have to use the drink coupon in the MDR for breakfast or lunch:confused: Oh yeah MDR (Celibration) is only opened for lunch on "sea days". :pPink:p