All Things Fantasy

NCTribeFan

The South Carolina State Ports Authority (SCSPA), which owns and operates Charleston’s cruise facility, approved today the purchase of a new, custom passenger loading bridge to safely transition cruise guests from the passenger terminal to the cruise ship’s loading doors.

The new, state-of-the-art gangway will feature a hydraulic system to change the elevation and match up with doors on various ships. The SCSPA identified Sweden-based FMT Aircraft Gate Support Systems AB as the preferred vendor and will attempt to finalize a contract to design, construct and deliver a gangway that meets all current laws, regulations, codes and satisfies operating requirements. The gangway along with other improvements should be delivered in February at a cost not to exceed $2.75 million.

This good news and the first step in the upcoming improvements to the new cruise terminal being built.

We sail on February 7th; am guessing it will be in place some time after.......

We sail on February 7th; am guessing it will be in place some time after.......

That would be my guess and you know how things go it probably won't be in February more like March.

If I get any more updates I will post on this thread.

Yeah!!!

Maybe we'll get another "regular" ship sailing from Charleston..

Great news.. thank's for posting.

Do you mean that two regular ships from Charleston? That would be hard to do since the Fantasy is in a port a lot due to doing a lot of shorty cruises and city of Charleston won't allow more than one cruise ship in port at a time.

NCTribeFan: Thanks for your words about arriving early and sitting in traffic waiting for the previous cruisers to leave. I hadn't thought about that aspect until now. I guess if you're driving to Charleston and parking like I will, there will be overlap with traffic at the parking deck. I'll make my plans accordingly and hopefully miss that. We sail on 8/21.

NCTribeFan: Thanks for your words about arriving early and sitting in traffic waiting for the previous cruisers to leave. I hadn't thought about that aspect until now. I guess if you're driving to Charleston and parking like I will, there will be overlap with traffic at the parking deck. I'll make my plans accordingly and hopefully miss that. We sail on 8/21.

Checkers, if you think of it, please try to make note of what time you arrive at the parking facility so we can learn from your valuable experience. Thanks much :)

Checkers, if you think of it, please try to make note of what time you arrive at the parking facility so we can learn from your valuable experience. Thanks much :)

I would like to know this too. I'll be sailing in mid-December.

Cigar Dude, Just got off this ship a couple of weeks ago. Thank goodness they still allow smoking in there cigar bar! Wait staff was very good in there. ENJOY! Can't help you with the parking question. We had to be there at 10:30 and all arrived together via hotel shuttle.

Edited by bluecruisin

Cigar Dude, Just got off this ship a couple of weeks ago. Thank goodness they still allow smoking in there cigar bar! Wait staff was very good in there. ENJOY! Can't help you with the parking question. We had to be there at 10:30 and all arrived together via hotel shuttle.

Hey blue; would u mind sharing which hotel/shuttle you used; we're still in the process of hotel shopping.

• 2 weeks later...

Question for those of you that have already sailed The Fantasy from Charleston & done Anytime dining: Did any of you find a specific waiter you liked & remember the name???? Have done Anytime on some Princess sailings & loved it but seems like we never find a good waiter till it's almost over. Thanks!!!

Thanks for the info on the cigar bar.

I "think" I have my parking/check in info taken care of.

Woohoo...10 more days and I'm on the deck drinking DODs!!!!

We're doing the park and cruise at the Best Western downtown and being shuttled to the port for free. Unless their shuttle doesn't leave when I want to..then I'm taking a taxi :p.

Woohoo...10 more days and I'm on the deck drinking DODs!!!!

We're doing the park and cruise at the Best Western downtown and being shuttled to the port for free. Unless their shuttle doesn't leave when I want to..then I'm taking a taxi :p.

Let us know back on this board How the Best Western is.. I was looking at the Sheraton. I definatley want park and cruise but the free shuttle is a great plus.... Have a great Time!!

Let us know back on this board How the Best Western is.. I was looking at the Sheraton. I definatley want park and cruise but the free shuttle is a great plus.... Have a great Time!!

I will let you know when I get back, and will take pics.

We sail on Sept. 11. A few roll call members are reporting a big change to our port schedule. The days are reversed and the times have changed a little. I wonder why only one person received an email notification? Someone else went to the Carnival website and confirmed this change. This sure could be a problem for people not on Cruise Critic, who have booked private excursions.

We sail on Sept. 11. A few roll call members are reporting a big change to our port schedule. The days are reversed and the times have changed a little. I wonder why only one person received an email notification? Someone else went to the Carnival website and confirmed this change. This sure could be a problem for people not on Cruise Critic, who have booked private excursions.

It shouldn't matter too much for the excursion. They will just flip their work days around.

I hope all of you can give me some feedback. I am considering the Fantasy out of Charleston for the convenience of travel. (Only 3 hours) I have been on many cruises and a few out of Charleston so I know the drill on enbarkation and have no issues with that. I want to bring my son and his wife who are mid-twenties and book 2 rooms for us. They have never cruised before. Do you think they will have enough to do on the ship and have a good time. We are not gamblers and we don't party much. So I am not sure if there are enough activities to keep us occupied. Of course we want some down time too so I am sure we will have that on sea days. I was going to book on a larger ship but this one is just so convenient that I am tempted to give it a try. Also, I was concerned on the options of food on the cruise since there are no speciality restaurants but it looks like they have added some things in the cafe that would be good. What are your thoughts?

I hope all of you can give me some feedback. I am considering the Fantasy out of Charleston for the convenience of travel. (Only 3 hours) I have been on many cruises and a few out of Charleston so I know the drill on enbarkation and have no issues with that. I want to bring my son and his wife who are mid-twenties and book 2 rooms for us. They have never cruised before. Do you think they will have enough to do on the ship and have a good time. We are not gamblers and we don't party much. So I am not sure if there are enough activities to keep us occupied. Of course we want some down time too so I am sure we will have that on sea days. I was going to book on a larger ship but this one is just so convenient that I am tempted to give it a try. Also, I was concerned on the options of food on the cruise since there are no speciality restaurants but it looks like they have added some things in the cafe that would be good. What are your thoughts?

I wouldn't hesitate to book on the Fantasy. We don't drink and we don't gamble and we love it. I think it is all what you make of it. Going in Sept with DS and DIL in their early 20's. The Fantasy class ship isn't really a small ship, just not as large as some others. I vote that you go for it!

Well I'll be able to let you know in two weeks...I leave a week from tomorrow on the Fantasy! But I'm not at all worried about not having enough to do, just being on a cruise is enough for me :)

Ditto!!

See you on deck...7 more days...woohoo!!