Jamaica Queens Hotel

Though this particular trip isn't pre/post cruise we are planning a visit to NYC this summer and are looking for a hotel outside of the city with easy access to subway to get to Manhattan. We've stayed in Times Square before but the budget isn't there this trip. We are west coasters so don't have the area very well figured out. We looked at Newark and while the hotel we were looking at seemed fine, tripadvisor contributors weren't very comfortable with the neighborhood..... not sure where to start looking. Doesn't sound like staying by JFK (we are flying into Baltimore, starting our vacation in DC then to Philadelphia then ending in NYC flying out of Baltimore) has easy subway access.....

thanks for any information you can give.

Weekday or weekend can make a big difference in price. NJ is an option as well. It's hard to give you good advice if you make us work in the dark.

Look at Hotwire for Secaucus. I'm seeing a 3* hotel with restaurant, fitness, internet and business for $82 which betterbidding says could be the Holiday Inn. But I can't tell if it's for your dates. Secaucus would be a 15-20 minute bus ride into Manhattan. The hotels would be clean, there would be outlets and restaurants in the area, and no one would feel uncomfortable. If this appeals, please ask - there is one hotel out there that does not have good bus service (I think it's a Hyatt that shows as 3 1/2*). Even though you don't know the hotel name, it really doesn't matter if it's 3*. You won't find anything in the city that's as nice for the money.

Thanks - I will check that area out. I just need to know the 'acceptable' neighborhoods and can look from there. I know when I see listings in Seattle sometimes (our transit isn't near as organized as NYC, DC, etc) that says they are within walking distance to the city or read their over the top description - well, sometimes it's way off the mark.

Feel free to check back with us. Hotwire might work really well for you in Secaucus. You can get there by taking Amtrak to Newark, NJ Transit to Secaucus Junction, and cab to the hotel - actually much easier than going into NY and out.

The Marriott Courtyard seems to be very reasonable and well located. Look at Kayak.com. Just be sure that the hotel says they have bus service close by.

Someone actually referred the Best Western Robert Treat hotel in Newark so I was going with that until I read a lot of reviews. While the hotel seems to be fine, the neighborhood seems very sketchy. While no one that has reviewed said they'd been mugged or whatever they all say it's not a place to be after dark. I try to keep a balanced view of the posts but I don't think there were more then two that didn't mention that safety issue. So.... that's why I'm researching. Long Island.... New Jersey..... Last time we stayed at the Casablanca just two blocks off Times Square - this time.... like I said, budget is a factor.

I need to download a map of NYC area and then research from there I think - but truly appreciate any neighborhood leads you can send my way.

I think folks coming to the NY metro area from other less urban places in the US really don't know what to expect and are often not prepared for the surroundings they find themselves in. As a result they are not comfortable. I always describe Newark as highly urban - translation of that is to be very selective about where you choose to stay.

I suggested Secaucus for several reasons.

1) It's a newer area of hotels, shops, restaurants, apartments, and office buildings that is very close to Manhattan by bus and has a more suburban feel to it.

2) It's a quick bus trip into Port Authority - you end up 1 avenue from Times Square

3) Folks in your group would feel more comfortable if they decided to return to the hotel on their own.

4) Hotels are all newer buildings and you will get much more for your money

5) There is a nearby train station at Secaucus Junction

My daughter has stayed at a Secaucus hotel while visiting NY - she was very happy with it. There are many places you can stay in Manhattan and be further away from midtown than a hotel in Secaucus.

Perhaps someone else will make suggestions for you. The problem with venturing further away from Manhattan to other areas of NYC, NJ or Long Island is the time it will take you to get back to Manhattan and the cost of the transportation.

Staying in Jamaica would be similar to staying at the place you mentioned in Newark---very similar neighborhoods. The Secaucus option sounds good to me-- and someone posted a thread about a special at a new Kimpton hotel in Manhattan (don't know if the dates work for you).

What are your train plans? Are you getting any special kind of price on Amtrak? If you're on a serious budget, you could look at the local trains between Philadelphia and Trenton and Trenton and New York. Also, have you considered the bus? That is probably the least expensive alternative.

I found the LaQuinta Secaucus and it looks like a good find! Thank you for the area recommendation.

I did look at the Septa train when we were going from Phil to NJ - now will have to see if it goes to Secaucus. It's quite the adventure to figure out the details!

I looked up the Port Authority and saw that it is right in the heart of the city, guessing the bus from Secaucus takes you right there and you can catch it back. I know I could look this up but.... can you buy a multi day bus pass to use while you are there or do you pay per ride?

Thanks!

If you're focusing on Secaucus, I think you should start a new thread and ask for hotel recommendations that have nearby bus service to NY. You don't want to pick a hotel that is not convenient to the bus. I don't know about the bus prices - it's confusing and it looks like they are going up. Probably in the $3 range.

You can take Septa to Trenton, cross the platform and take the train to NY. The last stop before NY will be Secaucus Junction. These are local trains - they make almost every stop all the way up the line. They are less comfortable than Amtrak, have less luggage storage, and take longer, but they are at least half the price of Amtrak and run MUCH more frequently. I've personally done the trip from Philadelphia Airport to 30th St. Station in Philadelphia, changed to the Trenton train, and then to the NY train to go to Princeton Junction. If you take Amtrak to Newark, you are going to have to pay another $3-$4 to go one more stop to Secaucus Junction. Make your own decision on this one - don't let folks tell you to just throw money at it and take Amtrak. For an occasional trip I can't bring myself to pay the Amtrak price when I know the local trains will get me to the same destination on a much more flexible schedule.

Thank you for the train info! I emailed the chamber of commerce (Seraucus) too to get info. I'm happy with the hotel selection, it's directly across the street from the bus stop (the last stop when coming back from Port Authority so should be impossible to get lost - haha).

we are only doing carry on for this trip (again, to save extra charges!) so that should be okay. I will map out the Septa to trenton....

Thank you SO much for your help. I LOVE cruisecritic. com - always get the help you need from people in the know.

I think you can buy your Septa ticket and your NJ Transit ticket from different machines in 30th St. Station. You definitely want to have your tickets - they charge a lot extra if you pay on the train. Also, there is often not much time to get a ticket in Trenton. Very often the NY train is waiting for the Septa train and you only have time to cross the platform and get on.

I think you can buy your Septa ticket and your NJ Transit ticket from different machines in 30th St. Station. You definitely want to have your tickets - they charge a lot extra if you pay on the train. Also, there is often not much time to get a ticket in Trenton. Very often the NY train is waiting for the Septa train and you only have time to cross the platform and get on.

At NJ Transit ticket vending machines at NJ Transit rail stations in New Jersey, you can buy a through ticket to Philadelphia (30th St Station) that is good for the Trenton-Philadephia portion of the trip on Septa. I'm pretty sure that the Septa ticket windows at 30th Street Station will be able to do the same thing in reverse--sell you a ticket that will be good for the Trenton-Secaucus (or Trenton-New York) portion of the trip on NJ Transit.

It certainly is a major convenience to be able to buy a through ticket at the beginning of your journey, rather than having to dash upstairs to the ticket window when you get to Trenton. I'm not the only one who's missed my connection by buying my connecting ticket at Trenton!

At NJ Transit ticket vending machines at NJ Transit rail stations in New Jersey, you can buy a through ticket to Philadelphia (30th St Station) that is good for the Trenton-Philadephia portion of the trip on Septa. I'm pretty sure that the Septa ticket windows at 30th Street Station will be able to do the same thing in reverse--sell you a ticket that will be good for the Trenton-Secaucus (or Trenton-New York) portion of the trip on NJ Transit.

I've just done a quick Internet search to confirm my assumption, and indeed you can buy NJ Transit tickets at 30th Street Station in Philadelphia. Here's a link to the relevant page on the SEPTA website with complete information on this:

http://www.septa.org/fares/ticket/joint.html

Note that in Pennsylvania, the NJ Transit ticket is sold separately, whereas in New Jersey the SEPTA ticket is part of your NJ Transit ticket. I've no idea why that is, but it's no big deal. Obviously SEPTA and NJ Transit have some sort of reciprocal agreement.

One other note: NJ Transit rail fares are rising by approximately 22% on May 1. NJ Transit has a massive budget deficit. (Just like the State of New Jersey itself... but that's another matter entirely.:eek:) But NJ Transit train fares are still considerably less expensive than those on Amtrak.

Please let us know how it all works out for you. It's important for us to know how the "budget" options work for people so we can offer an informed choice rather than just saying pay the big bucks for a NY hotel and cough up the $$$ for a car service.

Coming from the NY metro area, I've almost always done the "budget route" and have rarely stayed in a NY hotel. Until the last few years we always had free accommodations available with relatives which meant local train to NY for the day. Our last family outing actually involved staying at a "budget" Newark Airport hotel, which actually worked out much better than we anticipated.

I will be sure to post and let you know how it worked out. I am glad to have that all past me now so I can plan out funner things like options for activities! I appreciate your help. I feel really good about the Secaucus arrangements, great reviews on the La Quinta hotel - good price, right across the street from the bus stop that takes you to the port authority.....

Thought I don't know Secaucus at all, I wanted to post to assure you that yo made the right choice. I've lived in NYC for 21 years, all of it in Rego Park/Forest Hills, Queens. Jamaica is in Queens and there are only two reasons why I'd ever go there. 1. Jury duty at the courthouse. 2. Catching the train on the Long Island Railroad.

Archived