How do you skip the dreaded emergency drill?

gonzo1124

I'm sick of going to those life boat drills every time I cruise. Has anyone here ever skip it? How did you do it? (I get claustrophobic with so many people in such a small area).

If someone has already said this, then please pardon. But, I rather enjoy the event. It's all part of the cruise experience and it's one thing you have to do, then you're done.

The worst day cruising is better than the best day at work!! :D

Now, get over it.:eek: LOL

I'm sick of going to those life boat drills every time I cruise. Has anyone here ever skip it? How did you do it? (I get claustrophobic with so many people in such a small area).

I don't want people on the ship who intend to skip the muster drill.:mad: I'm sorry that you think 1/2 an hour of your time is too much to give up to make everyone safer.

If you cruise, then attend the muster drill! It's that simple!

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

If you wait until just before the drill starts, jump off the back of the ship and swim around the boat until you get to the staff gangway. By time you do that, based on your relative aquatic skills should cover the time required for the drill.

If you aren't a good swimmer, go back to page one and follow Kurb's advise.

Not that I condone trying to intentionally miss the drill, but those of you who are insinuating that they actually take attendance are crazy. Modern ships carry in excess of 2,500 passengers. They have no idea who is or isn't there. Now, your cabin steward will check your room during the drill to make sure you're not in there and all the public areas and bars are closed so you might as well go to the drill, but those folks saying their drill lasted "forever because two people didn't show up for a lifeboat drill" are misinformed. I've been on 20+ cruises and never once (even 20 years ago) remember passenger names being called to "check roll".

Sorry, just had to vent...

We never, ever, even think of missing the drill..

1. It only takes a little while,

2. We know that we will be sailing soon..and

3. we try to sent a good example for the kiddies...

Just in case....you never know

Not that I condone trying to intentionally miss the drill, but those of you who are insinuating that they actually take attendance are crazy. Modern ships carry in excess of 2,500 passengers. They have no idea who is or isn't there. Now, your cabin steward will check your room during the drill to make sure you're not in there and all the public areas and bars are closed so you might as well go to the drill, but those folks saying their drill lasted "forever because two people didn't show up for a lifeboat drill" are misinformed. I've been on 20+ cruises and never once (even 20 years ago) remember passenger names being called to "check roll".

Sorry, just had to vent...

Don't miss the drill. When you have to go to your lifeboat station as I have on two cruises(...one we hit a reef and tore a hole in the side of the ship...

Another we hit a sandbar. )You will be glad you paid attention and knew what to do. We were in the show lounge when the first incident happened and were not allowed to go back to our rooms. We didn't need the room life vests because the lifeboats have enough life vests for everyone.

And I agree about listening to the airplane safety talk too. Fortunately I have never had problems there. But you never know.

DON'T SKIP THE LIFEBOAT DRILL

If you are claustrophobic, go as late as possible, or TELL the crew you are claustrophobic and they will accommodate you by putting you in the front row!

I go as late as possible, I leave as late as 10 minutes after the call and have always been in the front row since my second cruise in 2007. My first cruise in 1991 was on the holiday and our muster point was a lounge...

13 or 14 cruises... never done one. Stayed in cabin. Door shut. Unpacked. DO remember your muster station. NEVER a problem.

Wow! You must really be cool and special to have all those people standing in the heat waiting for you to show up and then you never do. How do you justify that? :confused: Or are you just THAT special? :D:rolleyes:

The muster drill has given my my favorite vacation photo ever - my husband and I enjoying adult beverages while wearing the PFDs. I am kind of sad we no longer have to bring the life vests to the drill as that made it seem more authentic, perhaps we'll bring them for fun anyway. The only time (granted out of only two cruises so far) the drill was slightly inconvenient was the first cruise because there was a Packer playoff game starting at about the same time. The husbands feigned disability (terrible, I know) so they could leave the drill early to get to the sports bar to save us seats while we returned the life vests. Otherwise, it is a fun drill and helpful to go to the muster station so you know how to find it. Putting on the life vests is not hard, but I get turned around on the lower decks of the ship, so don't mind the crowd, even though I am a bit claustrophobic. I just try to get to a spot nearest to an open space.

Mmmm hmmm. Guess we've just been ignored. 13 times.:confused:

Probably...Dh and I stood in the shower last year and skipped it and they did knock on our door and we heard some of them even opening the doors. :p

Archived