How do you skip the dreaded emergency drill?

gonzo1124

I really laugh of some people ( i never said it cruisecritic people) , but there are hundreds way to avoid the drill. Well , not a hundred but a few ways.

I read they take attendance, but you don't have to have your life jacket anymore right ,, how do they take attendance now , you tell them your stateroom number>? , because my English is really bad and maybe i was trying to tell her that I am in stateroom 4266 but I made a mistake and it sounded like 4263 , so? If I make a mistake and then I don't show in the list that I was there, will they make me do it again ? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

People who say they stay in their cabin and never get asked to leave are full of crap. Maybe once or twice you can get away with it, but overall they will get you out of the cabin.

We always wait until they knock on our cabin so at least we are at the front of the line. It is a lot nicer without the lifejackets.

The only time I ever missed a muster/safety drill was on a B2B. I and others on that cruise had the same cabin as on the previous cruise so we did not have to attend. So we all went to someones cabin traveling with us that had an aft wrap. We were reminded though to stay inside lest the Coast Guard might be watching until after the drill was over and the horn sounded....Then it was party time on the aft wrap....

I always go to the drills. if something goes wrong I want to know what to do even after all the ships I have cruised on.....

Sometime try flying on a plane that all of a sudden loses 12,000 feet of altitude and the masks are falling from above you. Drinks and everything loose in the cabin is flying around and you are trying to remember what to do with that damned mask while kissing your butt goodbye...I actually watch the proceedures anymore every time I fly now.....

The people who think they are special enough that the rules don't apply to them ASTOUND me. And you know they'd be the first ones to sue Carnival if they had an actual emergency for not having clear enough procedures. :mad::mad::mad:

I'm guessing these are also the people who think it's ok to butt to the front of the line, cheat on their taxes, and stuff their kid's shoes with paper towels so they are tall enough for that ride at the amusement park. :rolleyes:

It's ok, it's YOUR vacation. You PAID for it. So you can do whatever you want. :rolleyes: It's OK if you inconvenience others and jeapordize your safety and that of others. After all, YOU are the most important thing in the world and having a good time comes first. Hopefully your kids aren't growing up with the same sense of self-important entitlement but sadly I think they are.

Hey - weren't you the same guy who was in my office last week wanting me to accept FORGED documents so your mortgage would be approved? While ranting and raving about ALL the money you have and how you could ruin our reputation if I didn't cave to your demands that I allow you to commit fraud? :rolleyes:

Sorry - rant over - just have spent too much time in my life dealing with people who think they are special and nothing applies to them.

Don't go on a cruise...! :p

Seriously, those are probably the most important 15-20 minutes of your vacation. Don't skip it

Regards,

Tapi (21 lifeboat drills and counting)

I agree!! And besides, it's a US Coast Guard requirement!

Not that I condone trying to intentionally miss the drill, but those of you who are insinuating that they actually take attendance are crazy. Modern ships carry in excess of 2,500 passengers. They have no idea who is or isn't there. Now, your cabin steward will check your room during the drill to make sure you're not in there and all the public areas and bars are closed so you might as well go to the drill, but those folks saying their drill lasted "forever because two people didn't show up for a lifeboat drill" are misinformed. I've been on 20+ cruises and never once (even 20 years ago) remember passenger names being called to "check roll".

Sorry, just had to vent...

I do think you are quite incorrect about this topic!! I have also been on Several cruises, both of the pleasure type and the one's in the US Navy, ugh. Anyway, when I have mustered for the drill on celebrity, they have called out cabin numbers and your cabin is checked on a checkoff list.

I do think you are quite incorrect about this topic!! I have also been on Several cruises, both of the pleasure type and the one's in the US Navy, ugh. Anyway, when I have mustered for the drill on celebrity, they have called out cabin numbers and your cabin is checked on a checkoff list.

I've been on 2 cruises and never witnessed a roll call.

The people who think they are special enough that the rules don't apply to them ASTOUND me. And you know they'd be the first ones to sue Carnival if they had an actual emergency for not having clear enough procedures. :mad::mad::mad:

I'm guessing these are also the people who think it's ok to butt to the front of the line, cheat on their taxes, and stuff their kid's shoes with paper towels so they are tall enough for that ride at the amusement park. :rolleyes:

It's ok, it's YOUR vacation. You PAID for it. So you can do whatever you want. :rolleyes: It's OK if you inconvenience others and jeapordize your safety and that of others. After all, YOU are the most important thing in the world and having a good time comes first. Hopefully your kids aren't growing up with the same sense of self-important entitlement but sadly I think they are.

Hey - weren't you the same guy who was in my office last week wanting me to accept FORGED documents so your mortgage would be approved? While ranting and raving about ALL the money you have and how you could ruin our reputation if I didn't cave to your demands that I allow you to commit fraud? :rolleyes:

Sorry - rant over - just have spent too much time in my life dealing with people who think they are special and nothing applies to them.

Amen.

If someone wants to skip it no big deal. I haven't figured out why all these people here get so upset & worked up when this topic comes up. I guess misery likes company.

Do you really believe that if the ship was sinking everyone will calmly, quietly, walk to the muster station except the ones who skipped. They will be running in circles, lost, and panicing.......

If someone wants to skip it no big deal. I haven't figured out why all these people here get so upset & worked up when this topic comes up. I guess misery likes company.

Do you really believe that if the ship was sinking everyone will calmly, quietly, walk to the muster station except the ones who skipped. They will be running in circles, lost, and panicing.......

I can tell you this. In a real emergancy, those who have had even a modicum of training will fall back on that training as a default because it means they don't have to think about what's going on around them. Those that have no training will be running around like bloody idiots and distracting those who have had training from doing what they're supposed to be doing. This is a proven fact. Take it from someone's who's been unfortunate enought to see an emergancy on a large scale and exactly how people reacted.

You would be surprised at how calm people can be during emergencies, especially when they have knowledge of what to do in such emergencies!! Now that's not to say there won't be a few out there going balistic!!

I can tell you this. In a real emergancy, those who have had even a modicum of training will fall back on that training as a default because it means they don't have to think about what's going on around them. Those that have no training will be running around like bloody idiots and distracting those who have had training from doing what they're supposed to be doing. This is a proven fact. Take it from someone's who's been unfortunate enought to see an emergancy on a large scale and exactly how people reacted.

Calling a Muster drill training is a real long stretch. You are directed to a deck and stand there till they tell you that you can leave. Most don't even know where they are or part of the ship they are on. Let alone whats going on. It's not like they practice lowering the boats and getting on them, that would be training.

It is only done because they have to do it..

You don't. I'm pretty sure that they at least do a head count, and if you have kids that's when they make sure they kiddies all have the right wrist band. And as Host Mach pointed out, there's not lugging of life vests so once it's done, it's time for SailAway and you can go straight up to Lido to watch without someone having to run the vests back to the rooms. Many times the ship is already moving by the time the safetly briefing is done.

Calling a Muster drill training is a real long stretch. You are directed to a deck and stand there till they tell you that you can leave. Most don't even know where they are or part of the ship they are on. Let alone whats going on. It's not like they practice lowering the boats and getting on them, that would be training.

It is only done because they have to do it..

Actually, it's not. It's about the same level of instruction you get if you work in a high-rise building for a fire drill or shelter in place drill. And guess what ... it works. But since you're bound and determined to be the guy that someone has to crack on the skull for running around like a bloody idiot in the middle of a crisis and then drag your unconscious body into a lifeboat, have at it. I just hope I'm never on a cruise with you.

Kudos to all the cc'ers for urging your participation. Remember, in an actaul emergency, things are NOT going to be as clam and organized as they are during the drill. You will have plenty to distract you and concentrate on without beating yourself up for NOT knowing what to do. The drill is much easier now and should be less "painful". I've been a career firefighter for 16 years and I can always tell which ones took the fire drill seriously when answering a real alarm. They are the ones that are clam, know what to do, and are less fearful of the outcome.

The drill will last 15 minutes, my more immediate concern is how you are going to handle the "claustraphbic" issues while packed into a cramped lifeboat with 149 other passengers for what could be hours should you ever be required to abandon the ship in a real emergency. It is something you might want to think about and have a plan together.

I like the cc'er who said it was the most important 15-20 minutes of your vacation! Truer words could not have been spoken.

It's 15 minutes and now easier than ever, so not only endure it, listen and learn!

I never said I skipped or wanted to. In fact I have been to all of them on every cruise. I was just saying it wasn't that big of a deal if someone did not go. Unlike all the others who become "personally offended" at the mention of it..

I never said I skipped or wanted to. In fact I have been to all of them on every cruise. I was just saying it wasn't that big of a deal if someone did not go. Unlike all the others who become "personally offended" at the mention of it..

A lot of people didn't think fire drills were all that big deal ... until someone flew a plane into their building and suddenly they didn't even know where the fire stair were.

And no, I'm not being over-dramatic.

Archived