How do you skip the dreaded emergency drill?

gonzo1124

No, I don't skip it. I think it's an important safety tool.

Additionally, the drill has changed. You're no longer required to bring your life vest. You show up at your designated muster station, generally in one of the lounges, listen to the briefing, watch someone from the crew don a vest and viola... done!

:)

I'm sick of going to those life boat drills every time I cruise. Has anyone here ever skip it? How did you do it? (I get claustrophobic with so many people in such a small area).

We just consider it a right of passage of sorts. Once the drill is over, the final hurdle has been passed.

Personally, I wouldn't try skipping it as Carnival seems to be pretty strict that eveyone must go. We have learned to try make sure we aren't the first people to show up so we aren't in the back row in order avoid the claustrophobic feeling.

I'm sick of going to those life boat drills every time I cruise. Has anyone here ever skip it? How did you do it? (I get claustrophobic with so many people in such a small area).

You shouldn't skip it for many reasons including the preparedness angle, the courtesy angle ("let's not delay this any longer while the crew tries to account for the missing pax" :cool:), etc.

If you get claustrophobic try asking the crew leader in front of your section to allow you to stand closest to the rail rather than in the middle of the pack.

And as another CC'er said...the end of the muster drill means the real start of the cruise. :D.

Although I do not like it, I would never skip the drill. It makes me nuts when we are outside/inside with our vests on waiting for others to show up!!! I mean really, have some consideration for others. There is no way to avoid this procedure so just get it over with so all of us can get on with our vacation!! :rolleyes:

I actually enjoy the drill because it means you're on a cruise ;) soooo much rather be going to a muster drill than be waking up at 6 to go to class. But the last one I went on (Inspiration - Nov.) you met in either a lounge or the theater (didn't need to bring your lifevests) gave a some intruction and then went to the muster stations for a much more brief time

How do you skip the dreaded emergency drill?

Don't go on a cruise...! :p

Seriously, those are probably the most important 15-20 minutes of your vacation. Don't skip it

Regards,

Tapi (21 lifeboat drills and counting)

Don't really want to miss it, but if I can get up front it would be better. Also not taking those life vests will make it easier. Didn't know that changed since I went on the Glory in 2008. Thanks!

Yeah, the new rule of not requiring you to bring your lifevest is huge for me! Last year DW and I were one of the first to show up and it got pretty hot standing about for 30 minutes waiting for others to show up. I'm not a fan of the muster drills at all but I wouldn't miss one for my life (which it may come down to if you were to miss). With my luck, the one time I decided to skip would be the time when it would be needed! :eek:

If you think you can make it from your room to your muster station blindfolded, have a go at it.

You'll probably be the one panicking in an emergency, cause you didn't think it was that important.

Hide under your bed. We'll let you know when it's all over.

ok so case in point... you go EVERY time because... something might have changed!!! Also... if it bothers you that bad to be in the group you will have an even bigger issue should anything ever happen. Best to know ahead of time how you will cope.

you don't...it is a madatory safety drill.

:D

A few years ago, we had our departure delayed and were left standing in freezing drizzle (at Pt. Canaveral, no less) for over an hour while the four people who had failed to show up were rounded up and forced to report. The Coast Guard was aboard and no slackers were tolerated.

Be kind to your fellow passengers and follow this rule. It is not a big deal.

Doc:rolleyes:

Do a B2B you don't have to go for the 2nd half;)

That is correct....but you can not hang out on your balcony drinking the booze you bought on the first leg......the Coast guard on the dock does not take kindly to that. :eek:

Just get a DOD on your way and then you can have fun while doing it.

Just remember the bars close about 15 minutes before the drill.

You have to take things in the proper sequence:

First, the muster drill.

Then, the mustard drill -- next to the hot dogs. :p

We did our on the Legend on the deck. All of us lined up, the carnival employees demonstrating how to handle an emergency, while the loud speaker voice talked them through it. We looked like Jack La Lane refugees. And then, ta da, we were off to party! 15 minutes of my time to learn how to save my life. :eek: Not too bad.:D:rolleyes:

Archived