How do you skip the dreaded emergency drill?

gonzo1124

The only time I ever missed a muster/safety drill was on a B2B. I and others on that cruise had the same cabin as on the previous cruise so we did not have to attend. So we all went to someones cabin traveling with us that had an aft wrap. We were reminded though to stay inside lest the Coast Guard might be watching until after the drill was over and the horn sounded....Then it was party time on the aft wrap....

I was on the same aft balcony as this poster with about 20 other people. Other than that, I've only skipped it one other time and that was on a cruise last summer when my roomie was feeling a little under the weather and didn't think she could make it to the drill. We had been the first or second aboard and a lot of DODs can be consumed in about five hours. :D I was forced to stay and comfort her. :cool:

Other than that, I've made it to every other muster drill. I sort of think of it as a rite of passage and that you're not really on a cruise until the end of the muster drill. When you're dismissed from the drill, it's like the starting signal at the Kentucky Derby or something. From then on, the party is on! :)

I can tell you this. In a real emergancy, those who have had even a modicum of training will fall back on that training as a default because it means they don't have to think about what's going on around them. Those that have no training will be running around like bloody idiots and distracting those who have had training from doing what they're supposed to be doing. This is a proven fact. Take it from someone's who's been unfortunate enought to see an emergancy on a large scale and exactly how people reacted.

Then they shouldn't open the bar until after the drill........believe me half the people will be running in circles;)

I never said I skipped or wanted to. In fact I have been to all of them on every cruise. I was just saying it wasn't that big of a deal if someone did not go. Unlike all the others who become "personally offended" at the mention of it..

and you're wrong. :D Deal with it. Own it. :)

What's amazing to me over the years is the amount of people that don't exit when an alarm goes off, like they are waiting for some confirmation to the alarm. :eek:

I've come to the conclusion that many people are stupid, evidenced by this thread.

Calling a Muster drill training is a real long stretch. You are directed to a deck and stand there till they tell you that you can leave. Most don't even know where they are or part of the ship they are on. Let alone whats going on. It's not like they practice lowering the boats and getting on them, that would be training.

It is only done because they have to do it..

I agree!

Then they shouldn't open the bar until after the drill........believe me half the people will be running in circles;)

You're way off here. They should be required to open the bar early, and make people funnel at least 3 beers before the drill starts. Everyone should be at least buzzed, and some people should be pretty loaded during the drill. Because thats exactly how people would be at any given time if a a actual emergency happens!

You think if there is an emergency at 9pm some night, everyone is going to be sober and paying attention? The drunker the drill the better:)

You're way off here. They should be required to open the bar early, and make people funnel at least 3 beers before the drill starts. Everyone should be at least buzzed, and some people should be pretty loaded during the drill. Because thats exactly how people would be at any given time if a a actual emergency happens!

You think if there is an emergency at 9pm some night, everyone is going to be sober and paying attention? The drunker the drill the better:)

Cruiselines cares more about revenue then safety;) That proves that they are just going thru the motions to please the coast guard;)

Cruiselines cares more about revenue then safety;) That proves that they are just going thru the motions to please the coast guard;)

The catch-22 of that being that if the Coast Guard deems them unsafe, they can't leave the harbor and can't generate revenue ...

Like I said before. Feel free to make a big joke of it, discount the importance of it, scoff at hit, whatever. Just hope and pray it's never information you actually need because you're not going to have it.

The catch-22 of that being that if the Coast Guard deems them unsafe, they can't leave the harbor and can't generate revenue ...

Like I said before. Feel free to make a big joke of it, discount the importance of it, scoff at hit, whatever. Just hope and pray it's never information you actually need because you're not going to have it.

Nobody is discounting the importance of a muster drill.....just the way it is held on a cruiseline;) Yes it is a joke that they open the bar before the drill......

In the event of an actual emergency people will follow the orders from the crew who have intense training in a muster drill;)

I wonder if those making the slick comments have ever had a real fire evacuation experience. :rolleyes:

Nobody is discounting the importance of a muster drill.....just the way it is held on a cruiseline;) Yes it is a joke that they open the bar before the drill......

In the event of an actual emergency people will follow the orders from the crew who have intense training in a muster drill;)

Assuming you can *find* crew members in an actual emergancy, of course.

How many times I've read that the people assigned to assist in an actual (serious) emergency have abandoned their posts to save their own azzes.

One was on a sinking ship.

Assuming you can *find* crew members in an actual emergancy, of course.

Ok......yes I forgot we are on a deserted island:rolleyes:

I do too, Pete. Then again, I don't think everyone's had the hard lessons in this area that others have.

And I think alot of people live life on assumptions:D Because people bring up points does not mean they live in a cave;)

Although I do not like it, I would never skip the drill. It makes me nuts when we are outside/inside with our vests on waiting for others to show up!!! I mean really, have some consideration for others. There is no way to avoid this procedure so just get it over with so all of us can get on with our vacation!! :rolleyes:

Exactly! That's what drives us nuts too, and I am betting that's a point the OP has faced many times before. Let's face it, none of us enjoy these drills, but it must be done.

On our last cruise, we gave the late shows a telling off....someone even said something to the effect of "what, are you gonna be late getting on the ship too at our next port?"

And there will be many more.....

Which directly conflicts one of your previous statements.

Again, I'm never the one expecting someone to save me in an emergency, while I am in the power to do so.

Which directly conflicts one of your previous statements.

Again, I'm never the one expecting someone to save me in an emergency, while I am in the power to do so.

Nope no conflicts here.........there will always be those that save their own selves.......but I believe many more will come together in the event of an emgerency.......I have seen it.....

I agree.......I never missed a drill myself......but I have seen waaay too many people hammered and I know they will need help;)

Archived