Has anyone had the embarkation lunch in the MDR lately?

cruz chic

I'm leaving for my cruise next week and I'm wondering if there will be a lunch in the MDR. One poster on our roll call said that since ships seem to be doing the first 2 days of every cruise in code red that's the end of the embarkation lunch in the MDR. I try to avoid going to the Lido at all costs.

That was the situation on the Zaandam on our March 26th cruise. Last October there was no embarcation lunch that we are aware of on either the Maasdam or the Eurodam. I did ask on all 3 cruises and was told to go to the Lido.

That seemed strange as we did have an embarcation lunch on the Eurodam in August 2008.

When you get aboard, even if the crew members say there is no MDR lunch for mariners or if they direct you toward the Lido, I would still walk by the MDR to see if there is a lunch or not. I've read postings whereby the crew would direct the passengers to the Lido but there was a lunch going on at the MDR. It never hurts to just walk there to see for yourself.

We're going to try and do the same on our Dec Niew A. cruise. We've not done it before but have gone to the mariner's brunch. At the hotel in FLL we usually order pizza for lunch (we're travelling with 4 kids) around 11:30, eat, and leave for the port around 1ish. This time, I'd like to try and leave earlier and try and get the embarkation lunch if there is one.

Good luck and have a fabulous cruise.

When you get aboard, even if the crew members say there is no MDR lunch for mariners or if they direct you toward the Lido, I would still walk by the MDR to see if there is a lunch or not. I've read postings whereby the crew would direct the passengers to the Lido but there was a lunch going on at the MDR. It never hurts to just walk there to see for yourself.

The same thing has happened to me a number of times!

The embarkation day lunch was not just for Mariners when we went on the Eurodam in January.

We just returned from our Easter week cruise on the Ryndam and can say we had a nice quiet, uncrowded Mariner's lunch in the MDR on embarkation day. Also, was able to go to our room before hand, chat with the room steward, and leave our carry-ons there.

Everyone who sails HAL becomes a Mariner upon the completion of their first cruise. You will be assigned a Mariner number and start to accrue days which ultimately convert to benefits predicated upon number of days sailed/credits for spending.

Every cruise we have had since the implementation of the new Mariners Program, we have been told there was no MDR Embarkation Mariners Lunch. I knew there was one a few times but did not pursue it as we enjoy Lido on boarding day.

We like the energy and excitement when most people are very excited to have just boarded... especially those cruising for the first time.

For some reason, the crew on the gangway always seems to direct people away from going to the MDR. Maybe they truly didn't know there was a luncheon? :confused:

"menajr8"..... If you want to go to Main Dining Room to see if there is a lunch, I doubt anyone would turn you away for not being a Mariner. We've never read here that someone was turned away.

We are going on our first HAL cruise next week...how do you become one of these Mariner people? And I assume this MDR lunch are for these people ONLY?

I would do what was suggested above and go by the MDR before going to the Lido for lunch when boarding. If you board on the late side though the MDR lunch service may be over. Cherie

Thanks sail7seas! We would hate to start the cruise being "rejected" lol

cccole...what is considered late boarding? Our flight gets into SD at noon.

We never arrive before 1:30-2:00 and miss MDR lunch. Hours of the MDR lunch on your day of departure may be later, I don't know. We arrive around 2:00 for a departure around 5:00. We like arriving later because the room is usually ready and we can drop our things, maybe have something to eat, and enjoy the ship. I see that you are going from SD and I have never sailed from that port. Have fun!!!! Cherie

I'm leaving for my cruise next week and I'm wondering if there will be a lunch in the MDR. One poster on our roll call said that since ships seem to be doing the first 2 days of every cruise in code red that's the end of the embarkation lunch in the MDR. I try to avoid going to the Lido at all costs.

We did have one on the Oosterdam for our Jan. 16 cruise.

Rich

Thanks sail7seas! We would hate to start the cruise being "rejected" lol

cccole...what is considered late boarding? Our flight gets into SD at noon.

Officially I believe the the brunch is supposed to be 12:00 to 1:30, but on the Noordam in Dec it didn't start until 12:30. You might be able to make it.

Was on Oosterdam for 4/3 sailing and they did have a lunch on the embarkation day. It started at noon, and we were on board about 11:40 so had to wait 20 minutes, but enjoyed not having to deal with the crowds in the Lido

On our 02 Mar10 cruise (Mexico) we had a Mariners Lunch. There were only 15 passenger there. On our contining cruise (Hawaii) there wasn't a Mariners Lunch because the diningroom was used by a group from shoreside. As was mentioned before always check youself if the diningroom is open for the Mariners Lunch, because those crew members at the gangway always direct everyone to the Lido. Enjoy your cruise. Take care.

Thx for all the answers. I really appreciate it. I hope there will be one on my cruise:).

lorekauf, I don't really understand what a code red would have to do with not serving lunch in the MDR. It is not a serve yourself dinning venue, so I don't see the problem. I certainly would not take the word of some of the staff that there isn't one. I would do as others have said, go by the MDR to make sure there is or isn't one.

Thx for all the answers. I really appreciate it. I hope there will be one on my cruise:).

Let us know how it works out when you get back. Would be interested to hear. Can you also check out for us the start and end time of the MDR brunch. Or that may depend on ship and departure time. Thanks.

On Westerdam 2/7 & 2/14 cruises, there was a Mariner's lunch in the MDR. It was Indonesian theme, limited menu choices. I went the first week, but not the second. Not sure it would be suitable if your teenagers are not adventurous eaters...EM

Archived