Hiring a Taxi for two to four hours/Scotland and Ireland/British Isles Tour

When we have cruised to other areas of the world we have had good success with just hiring a taxi for two to four hours and getting "their" perspective on their city/town and the surrounding areas.

In Ireland and Scotland is this possible or even practical?

The potential short tours would be at Waterford, Dublin, and Edinburgh.

Another way to ask this question might be, what would be the best way to "see" as much as possible in a more private setting, but do it in three to four hours, not six to eight. We are very interested in seeing the surrounding countryside of Scotland and Ireland.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Also, I really want to to see the Kilmainham Gaol Historical Museum. Any recommendations for proper transportation?

I realize they have a bus system, is this the best approach for what I understand to be a pretty short trip with about one hour viewing of the museum?

Thanks.

Never have been to Dublin I have a couple questions about the replies here.

I have taken a look at Trip Advisor and created a list of things to do, which isn't that expansive actually, but I need to know a little bit about the HoHo bus I guess.

So, do we need a taxi to get into Dublin from the Port? Or, is the town so large it takes a taxi to get to the center of town to use the HoHo bus?

Also, if we use the HoHo to get to the Museum, does it run both ways (so we can get back to the center of town) and on what type of time table? Or is a taxi best to get back into town?

Thanks in advance.

You will need to take a taxi or the ship's shuttle from the port to downtown where the HOHO bus is. The bus runs a circular route. There are actually several buses going at any given time, so you shouldn't have to wait long for one. Downtown is very walkable, but if you want to go further afield (the Gaol or the Guinness brewery), you will need either the bus or a taxi.

• 2 weeks later...

Would you recommend buying the HOHO pass before we get to Europe via the internet, or should we just buy it once we get to Dublin?

We purchased the Copenhagen Card this way. And, since I am new at this, it looks to me anytime I can keep from handling the different currencies, the better.

Thanks.

We went online and bought our pass for the Hoho bus before we sailed and got a 20% discount. We really enjoyed the tour, which took in all the main sights and especially liked the live commentary from the driver so would recommend dublinsightseeing.ie

Hi ZL,

For what ever it is worth, if you have been to Edingburgh before and want to see more of that part of Scotland, I migh suggest doing a tour of the area. We will be doing just that with The Heart of Scotland company. We have six but they would also do this for fewer people. Our trip will include the Stirling Castle and the Falkirk Wheel, another way to lift boats to different levels of the canals.

We kind of asked what we wanted and then they added suggestions accordingly. I think it will be interesting. Here is their web site.

http://www.heartofscotlandtours.co.uk/

am-450.jpgfalkirk_wheel.jpg

Archived