Lunch at St. Thomas or St. John

julba

We've been to Trunk Bay beach (St. John) and will be going again. I don't recall if there was a place to grab lunch at that beach. If we don't have lunch there, is there a good place for lunch in St. Thomas near shopping area around the bend from the ships, or near the shopping mall area directly off of the ship? Thanks!

There are some great places near the ferry dock at Redhook in St Thomas. Very casual open air restaurants.

Last month we stayed on St. Thomas four nights before traveling to San Juan for our cruise. A couple of the nights we had dinner at the restaurants in Red Hook. All of them are in the buildings right next to the ferry terminal or across the street from it - at most 2 short blocks and if you walk that far you'll pass a few of them along the way.

If you stop there on your way back you won't have to worry about timing with the ferry schedule after lunch and there will be cabs available at the normal per person rate in the area.

Don't know if it's still open (website hasn't been updated since December), but if you're a fan of craft beer, you could try the Tap Room in Cruz Bay, St. John, a short walk from the ferry dock. It features the beers of St. John Brewery, including their signature Tropical Mango Pale Ale. Here's how they describe how to get to it from the ferry dock:

"Upon your arrival in Cruz Bay, the ferry dock is located almost in the center of town. You’ll follow the road to your left, along the water, past the Customs Lot on your left. Take a left at the Post Office, and follow the road the to far end of town, where you’ll find Mongoose Junction. Use the far entrance to the Junction, and walk towards the Deli Grotto. Use the spiral stairs to your right to get to the second level, and you’ll find The Tap Room next door to Caravan Gallery and across the hall from Holiday Homes."

Im sure there are great places on St John for lunch. St John is probably the most beautiful island I have been to in the Caribbean. It might just be me, or just my one time experience, but I would have to opt for lunch on St Thomas. Mind you it was 11 years ago, but that ferry ride from St John back to St Thomas would have had me, forgive me, I will try and put it politely, "losing" my lunch! Plus the washroom on the ferry was stogged up to the brim. Things may have changed since 1999, and I hope they have. Like I say, may have been just a bad day, rough sea wise, washroom wise etc. I do remember seeing many nice looking restaurants near the place where we got off the ferry, once back to St Thomas. JMHO.:)

julba ~ there is a snack bar that serves burgers, etc at Trunk Bay. There are a bunch of nice lunch options within walking distance of the ferry in Cruz Bay as many have mentioned. The little restaurants along the water to the right of the ferry dock are all decent. And Mongoose Junction has a variety of options.

My favorite spot is in Coral Bay at the other end of the island - Shipwreck Landing. It only works if you have a car.

I'd alway prefer to stay on St. John as long as possible. I'd much rather sit in one of the restaurants in Cruz Bay enjoying the views of the water than head back to St. Thomas.

The ferry ride from Cruz Bay to Red Hook is usually fairly calm. The rough ride is from Cruz Bay to downtown Charlotte Amalie. I always recommend taking the ferry from Red Hook to avoid rough seas. And the Red Hook - Cruz Bay ferry is much quicker, although you have a longer cab ride on the St. Thomas side.

Here's a good list of restaurants (most say whether they are in Cruz Bay or Coral Bay): http://www.stjohnguidebook.com/index.php?mode=rest

Whatever you decide, have a fantastic time! It IS my favorite island.

ENJOY!

julba ~ there is a snack bar that serves burgers, etc at Trunk Bay. There are a bunch of nice lunch options within walking distance of the ferry in Cruz Bay as many have mentioned. The little restaurants along the water to the right of the ferry dock are all decent. And Mongoose Junction has a variety of options.

My favorite spot is in Coral Bay at the other end of the island - Shipwreck Landing. It only works if you have a car.

I'd alway prefer to stay on St. John as long as possible. I'd much rather sit in one of the restaurants in Cruz Bay enjoying the views of the water than head back to St. Thomas.

The ferry ride from Cruz Bay to Red Hook is usually fairly calm. The rough ride is from Cruz Bay to downtown Charlotte Amalie. I always recommend taking the ferry from Red Hook to avoid rough seas. And the Red Hook - Cruz Bay ferry is much quicker, although you have a longer cab ride on the St. Thomas side.

Here's a good list of restaurants (most say whether they are in Cruz Bay or Coral Bay): http://www.stjohnguidebook.com/index.php?mode=rest

Whatever you decide, have a fantastic time! It IS my favorite island.

ENJOY!

I wasnt aware that the ferry went anywhere else but back to downtown Charlotte Amalie. So, I have learned a something new here today. Have only been once to St John, but have fond memories and photos in my album. Hoping to do an Eastern Caribbean on my second to next cruise, so will keep this in mind. Thanks for the info.:)

Thank you for your suggestions! We're so excited to be heading over to St. John again. We were last there in 2004, and at that time our son wasn't with us. This time around, we can't wait to show him our favorite island! Thank you again! :o

Julba ~ you are most welcome! Have a wonderful time. I have photos of St. John everywhere at home ;)

Sparky ~ yep....take the ferry from Red Hook (it's about a 15 - 20 minute taxi ride from Havensight) to Cruz Bay. MUCH calmer (and quicker) than the Charlotte Amalie ferry. Even when we dock in Crown Bay, we take the cab to Red Hook. Don't want anyone feeling ill on the ferry ride from Charlotte Amalie. Glad we could be of help!

Archived