Alaska Cruise Tax Rebate

cruie4ever

Here is info about the tax rebate just approved April 15 ,2010 by the Alaska legislature ,to avoid a law suit being brought on by the cruise lines (it is on cruise critic news):

Alaska Legislature Approves Bill to Lower Cruise Head Tax

(8 p.m. EDT) -- Just three days before it's scheduled to adjourn for the year, the Alaska state legislature Thursday approved a bill that will lower the controversial head tax charged to cruise passengers from $46 to $19.50 per person, effective immediately.

Get your $26.50 for each pax sailing this year & already booked .Woohoo GREAT!

Somtimes, if taxes and/or fee change after final payment, it will show up on your shipboard account as a credit. If they find out you paid more after your cruise is over they will send you a check. Give Princess a few days at least and go into the personalizer and look at the emergency notification area (I think it is on the page with your itinerary) this is where I found out if fees are going up or down.

go into the personalizer and look at the emergency notification area (I think it is on the page with your itinerary) this is where I found out if fees are going up or down.

I can't find it. I looked a few weeks ago and also could not find my OBC for stock purchase and my FCC. I hate to call my TA everytime I have a question.

I can't find it. I looked a few weeks ago and also could not find my OBC for stock purchase and my FCC. I hate to call my TA everytime I have a question.

Your shareholder OBC does not always show on your Personalizer or any other Princess document until you board and see it on your account. It's always there, but take your confirmation email with you.

According to my Princess Summary:

GOVERNMENT FEES & TAXES DECREASE

Please be advised that the Government Fees & Taxes for your voyage have been reduced by USD $0.59 per person for bookings made prior to February 24, 2010.

For bookings paid in full, no action is required. This amount will

automatically be credited to your shipboard account. For bookings not paid in full, the Government Fees & Taxes have been adjusted accordingly, and the balance due has changed. Please review the balance due amount prior to making final payment.

Wondering if this is the correct decrease that this thread is refering to.

Somtimes, if taxes and/or fee change after final payment, it will show up on your shipboard account as a credit. If they find out you paid more after your cruise is over they will send you a check. Give Princess a few days at least and go into the personalizer and look at the emergency notification area (I think it is on the page with your itinerary) this is where I found out if fees are going up or down.
What I've had happen is that if payment has already been made, the refund has been credited as an OBC; if it's before final payment, that will be adjusted. I've never heard of Princess sending a check for the difference; it's always been a credit either before payment or as an OBC. Likewise, if there is an increase in fees or taxes, it'll be reflected in your final payment amount or else as a charge on your onboard account.

According to my Princess Summary:

GOVERNMENT FEES & TAXES DECREASE

Please be advised that the Government Fees & Taxes for your voyage have been reduced by USD $0.59 per person for bookings made prior to February 24, 2010.

For bookings paid in full, no action is required. This amount will

automatically be credited to your shipboard account. For bookings not paid in full, the Government Fees & Taxes have been adjusted accordingly, and the balance due has changed. Please review the balance due amount prior to making final payment.

Wondering if this is the correct decrease that this thread is refering to.

Are you kidding me? How does that equate to .59 per booking? That is just wrong!

$.59 I don't think is the amount that is referring to the head tax amount. If Alaska just made the change on Friday afternoon...give them a few days. This sort of thing does have to go through certain chains of red tape. I expect that everyone will get their credit, whether it be in the form of onboard credit or reduction in final payment.

We've gotten these types of reductions before and it usually take s at least a few days. Princess reads the boards here and knows that its passengers often spend a great deal of time here too so it won't keep the money.

However saying that I would gladly let them keep the head tax over payment if that meant they wouldn't add on the fuel tax. Which would be within their contractual rights given how the fuel prices have soared past the stated amount.

We booked on April 14th. I looked in my cruise personalizer and there is no mention of a reduction of taxes. I see the message below but that wouldn't apply to this booking. Is it possible they didn't charge us for it in the first place?

GOVERNMENT FEES & TAXES INCREASE

GOVERNMENT FEES & TAXES UPDATE: Please be advised that the Government Fees & Taxes for your voyage have been adjusted by an additional $3.14 per person effective for bookings made prior to December 24, 2009. For bookings paid in full, no action is required. This amount will automatically be charged to your shipboard account. For bookings not paid in full, the Government Fees & Taxes have been adjusted accordingly, and the balance due has changed. Please review the balance due amount prior to making final payment

What I've had happen is that if payment has already been made, the refund has been credited as an OBC; if it's before final payment, that will be adjusted. I've never heard of Princess sending a check for the difference; it's always been a credit either before payment or as an OBC. Likewise, if there is an increase in fees or taxes, it'll be reflected in your final payment amount or else as a charge on your onboard account.

Several years ago there were some threads on here about receiving checks from Princess for a past cruise, some were only a few dollars and some were a lot more. So it can happen. It did happen, We were some of them that received checks in the mail from Princes. But the OBC is the norm.

Princess should read the CC to find out the news. I'll give my TA a few days and then I'll contact her again. There's a message above this one that says the powers that be signed this bill on Friday.

Even if the law is passed, it will depend on the date it takes effect. Bothering Princess and or your TA until you know that the law is in effect is actually a waste of time. Keep your eye on that piece of legislature and then contact your TA when you know it is in effect.

When it gets closer to the sailing have your TA mail or e-mail you the fax/e-mail they receive from Princess (invoice,just like you would receive if you booked with Princess) it should have total on board credit.

In the personalizer go to your FCC area and it should state FC# applied to xxx booking and should state the OBC amt there. Also Stock credit, take your e-mail or fax that you received.

Archived