New to NCL... What do I need to know???

aloanldy

Hi - We are experience cruisers...but never on NCL. We're sailing on the Epic in October.

What do we need to know that's different from other lines?

Is the "Free Style" dining a hassle? DO we pay extra for it?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Charlie

Charlie

Freestyle is the very reason I'm hesitant to even try another cruise line! It's not a hassle at all. You don't pay "extra" for it (unless you go to one of the restaurants aboard with a surcharge like Cagney's).

With freestyle dining, you eat whenever you want. You can make reservations for the specialty eateries, but other than that, you show up to eat whenever you want. I've never waited more than 15 minutes for a table for 4.

Personally, I go on vacation so that I don't have a schedule. The idea of being told when to eat and with whom I eat bugs me.

I've enjoyed my 2 NCL experiences very much (and have booked the Gem for next year).

With regard to dining experiences, we find we have dinner in the specialty restaurants just about every night ...we'll do the MDR once. The food, which I'll admit is a matter of opinion :D, is far superior in the specialty restaurants.

I did a mother/daughter cruise on the Dawn in 2008 & on that ship, in asking to be seated at a large table in the MDR with others...they found that a difficult request to accomodate. The maitre'd said most large tables are taken by families or groups already traveling together so therefore it seemed an unusual request. She eventually seated us at a table for 4 at which we were the only diners!

Hi - We are experience cruisers...but never on NCL. We're sailing on the Epic in October.

Charlie

Freestyle dining is only a hassle if you don't like the fredom of eating whenever you choose and with whomever you choose and wherever you choose. :cool:

There are a few restaurants that have a surcharge to dine there but you have choices that are included in your fare.

PE

We really enjoyed our freestyle cruise on the Dawn. Ditto to all of the above ...and: they keep the chips and dip coming. You can get salsa and chips almost all day at the Bamboo restaurant. Wish we could go on the Epic :rolleyes:

Thanks so much for the dining information.

What's the secrets to NCL? Every cruise line has things you only find out about on Cruise critic.

For example... on Celebrity... it's the waffles. You have to know to look for them and where. They're the best.

Since it's free style dining... how many dining rooms are there that are no charge? How do I know which is which?

Thanks. Sorry to be a pest.

Charlie

The Freestyle daily will list the restaurants, what time they are open and if there is a surcharge. On most NCL ships there are two main dining rooms, pool-side barbeques, Blue Lagoon open 23 hours a day (think fast food-wings, sandwiches, soups etc), and a Bar and Grill (Bimini on some ships) and an action-station buffet.

In addition to the "included" places there are also "surcharge" restaurants such as Cagneys (steak), LeBisto (French), a Tex-Mex, and Italian and Japanese restaurants.

The biggest secret is if you are in a full suite you can eat breakfast and lunch at Cagneys everyday for free! (Mini-suites are not included)

Free style is the best. We rotate dining rooms and it feels like really going out to a restaurant. You can also wear the same outfilt every night and no one will notice! You just show up, ask for a table, wait a very short time or may be no time at all, and then enjoy. Also, you don't have to worry about getting back from a shore excursion to meet a predetermined dinner hour. We'll be on our 4th NCL cruise (the Epic) in November and are totally excited.

Funny how "terrible" some people have said NCL is, but now several other cruise lines are adopting their own free style dining options. ;)

you will find the EPIC "secrets" on the EPIC thread--they have their own

and check the EPIC roll-calls too...i have found lots of good info in the NCL roll-calls for various ships!!

the PRETZEL rolls are pretty dang good (NCL) and the BLUE LAGOONs have GOOD chicken strips, wings--dont know if there will be one on the EPIC since its new and all!--i had a really GOOD Chicken Cordon Bleu (MDR) on the JEWEL hadnt had that on STAR or Spirit!

WELCOME to FREE~STYLE...the BEST reason to CRUISE NCL:D--IMHO

Freestyle is what brings me back to NCL time and time again. I don'y sail other lines because I don't want set dining times, set tablemates and being told what clothing to wear (I dress clean and very tidily but would feel dreadful if forced to wear a formal gown).

Plenty of free venues, at least as many or more than any other line has plus the choice to use a speciality venue at a fee. Note that this is a choice. You decide if you want to pay extra or not. No-one forces anyone to pay for anything they do not choose to.

For me NCL is all about choice not this is what it is like it or lump it because we don't care. If you love traditional cruising you may find all of this to be culture shock and for some, well, they just can't cope with it and have a miserable time. Go in with an open mind and you will have a great time enjoying the freedom that freestyle gives you.

Charlie

Charlie, I haven't read the comments but I do know EPIC will have 21 eating establishments and I think 12 or so are included in the cost of your cruise. Is freestyle a hassle? Normally it is not, because of the size of the Epic no one can say yet.

Nita

The three most important things you need to know about NCL.

1. What night does the dining room serve Loster tail? There has been one each cruiise I have been on!

2. What night do they serve Escargot? ditto

3. The restaurants serve the best strawberry icecream on the planet!

Enjoy

My family loves NCL freestyle dining. If you want to dress up, you can. If you don't, you don't have to. I see a lot of complaints about the food on NCL but I thought it was just fine. I like that you don't have to hurry back from the excursions to make your dining time. Or miss the early shows if you have the late seating. If you are a casual cruiser as we are, you will love it.

Some of the secrets are:

1. You can order eggs / omlettes from room service even though they aren't on the menu.

2. You can dine alone when you are hungry or if you like meeting new people you can ask for "a table to share" & you will be seated at a larger table with others. Sometimes that is a big table for 8-10 Sometimes it's just a 4 top. Either way if the dining room is full or busy, you may be seated faster.

3. If you do have to wait for your table, you will be given a pager that lights up & vibrates. If you take it to a bar, you will get 1/2 price drinks while you wait.

4. Sometimes on the last night at bar city midship you can bargain for 2 for 1 on the cover charges.

5. Except for Teppenayki which has limited seating, reservations aren't that hard to come by & can be made last minute.

6. The entertainment staff is allowed to mingle with passangers. Whereever they are, that is where the party is.

Archived