P&o - shame on you!!

BMT

My brother just 'phoned P&O to see whether his elderly 95 year-old mother could board the Oriana at Gibraltar to return to the UK at the beginning of May, because of the airport problems. Willing to pay whatever the cost is.

He was told P&O do not do segments.

What a fine-spirited attitude in view of the exceptional volcanic problems - NOT.

Not even true, as a travel agent last week advertised cabins for the three day return to Southampton from Gib!!

Companies like this make me ashamed to be British sometimes.

Lots of container ships travel from Gib and they have berths for passengers and provide 3 meals a day. If your mum can't make her flight due to the ash cloud perhaps this could be an alternative. I'm sure she would be well looked after even though the surroundings might not be so opulent and it would only be for a couple of days.

Lots of container ships travel from Gib and they have berths for passengers and provide 3 meals a day. If your mum can't make her flight due to the ash cloud perhaps this could be an alternative. I'm sure she would be well looked after even though the surroundings might not be so opulent and it would only be for a couple of days.

Now that is a great idea - but.........I was led to believe that they don't have lifts - she can't do the stairs!!!

Actually, we are safe here and obviously retired, although she is stressing about getting back. Its just a question of being stranded, hotels etc. But plenty of accommodation here in Spain!!

I was just pointing out that I think the attitude of P&O, who rely on mainly British passengers, STINKS!!!

Following on from that ...I read elsewhere on this site that Artemis has just returned from Bruges and didn't bring any extra passengers back from there....for such a short journey they could surely have accommodated a few passengers in the lounges just to help them get home !!!

Thomson is bringing their Canaries cruise passengers and 300 non cruise passengers from Madeira back to Falmouth in Cornwall this week....and also using Thomson Dream to ferry passengers from Majorca to Barcelona....well done Thomson !!

Now that is a great idea - but.........I was led to believe that they don't have lifts - she can't do the stairs!!!

Actually, we are safe here and obviously retired, although she is stressing about getting back. Its just a question of being stranded, hotels etc. But plenty of accommodation here in Spain!!

I was just pointing out that I think the attitude of P&O, who rely on mainly British passengers, STINKS!!!

Apparently to use a container ship you have to be fit enough to climb vertical/steep ladders and companionways.

My brother just 'phoned P&O to see whether his elderly 95 year-old mother could board the Oriana at Gibraltar to return to the UK at the beginning of May, because of the airport problems. Willing to pay whatever the cost is.

He was told P&O do not do segments.

What a fine-spirited attitude in view of the exceptional volcanic problems - NOT.

Not even true, as a travel agent last week advertised cabins for the three day return to Southampton from Gib!!

I have come across this with P&O. I rang P&O to say can I book this short part of a cruise that is advertised by 'Blogs & Co'. At first P&O booking staff did not know what I was talking about and went off to investigate. They came back and said they could not offer the last few days of a cruise but sometimes, unknown to them, 'the management' offer them to external favoured companies. I don't understand the logic.

What are you ashamed about ??

P&O whilst, aiming at the british tourist, is an american owned and operated company.

Whats being british and being ashamed got to do with this ??

I dont get it.

Did I miss something in your post ?:confused:

You wrote this on the 19th citing the exceptional volcanic problems as the reason for making the request, then make it all the fault of P&O.

Early May is 11 to 15 days away, we will have forgotten what a volcanoe is by then. Just book a flight in May as everyone else will and stop making your responsibilities someone elses.

You wrote this on the 19th citing the exceptional volcanic problems as the reason for making the request, then make it all the fault of P&O.

Thats the part I could not understand also.

How can you blame P&O. They do have many faults, but causing Volcano's is not one of them.

And Ashamed to be british, because of all this, is a little OTT dont you think ??

Anxious... perhaps, but blaming P&O for a volcano...Priceless :D

BMT All cruise ships have to adhere to strict rules and regs about the number of people onboard, so it could be the ship is actually full.

Celebrity are sending Eclipse to Bilboa to pick up British and Irish tourists before her naming ceremony

BMT All cruise ships have to adhere to strict rules and regs about the number of people onboard, so it could be the ship is actually full.

Celebrity are sending Eclipse to Bilboa to pick up British and Irish tourists before her naming ceremony

Celebrity can do it - and are US owned. I am glad they are doing their bit as I have shares in RCI.

If there was not space on Oriana, why are they advertising space in Gib?

I am ashamed because the P&O name is, and probably always will be, associated with the UK - its only been owned by Carnival for a few years. And just because it is US owned doesn't mean that it can't react to helping people affected by disasters in other countries!! Other US companies are.

Carol Marlow, the MD of P&O, says P&O cruises are SPECIFICALLY aimed at the British market!! Such loyalty to the customers they are aiming at - not!! We sailed on the first Oriana, and although we cruise a lot, haven't been P&O for years. This attitude isn't going a long way to convincing me to cruise with them, although lately we have been considering them!!

Don't blame anyone for the volcano - that's ridiculous - but other companies are helping out!! How can the space not be available when it is being offered in Gib?

Hopefully, they will sail full - but we shall have to wait and see.

Congrats to Celebrity and Thomson!!

Early May is 11 to 15 days away, we will have forgotten what a volcanoe is by then. Just book a flight in May as everyone else will and stop making your responsibilities someone elses.

I do hope you realise just how rude your response is?

No-one blames P&O for the volcano - just pointing out that they are not making any attempt at the moment to help out (denying space when apparently it is available) - I know that if there were a disaster with one of their ships in Europe - other countries and cruiselines would come to the aid of their passengers. In fact, they would expect it!!!

My mother is stressed, as are many other elderly people who cannot reach home on the flights they have already booked. Sleeping on airports, for the elderly and families, is a terrible situation. Fortunately, I don't have to rely on P&O or any other company to ensure my mother's safety and well-being. However, I do have a social conscience towards my fellow human beings and am so glad to read that Thomson and Celebrity are assisting in getting people home. Perhaps P&O will follow their great example?

This is what Celebrity has to say:

What a rude and uncalled for response.

I have not seen in any post where BMT stated that the current crisis was the fault of P&O or even their responsibiity.

BMT was just sounding off an perhaps looking for a bit of friendly advice.

Gerry

What a rude and uncalled for response.

I have not seen in any post where BMT stated that the current crisis was the fault of P&O or even their responsibiity.

BMT was just sounding off an perhaps looking for a bit of friendly advice.

Gerry

Thank you Gerry - exactly!! I am in the process of making other arrangements actually. If our flight leaves next week, we will now hopefully, be able to offer our seats to anyone in real need, as we are already booked on a cruise first port-of-call being Gib in early June and will stay here until then if necessary. This is a huge problem for many ordinary families and will cause great financial hardship - but I am so proud of Celebrity.

Some friends of ours are on a Thomson Holiday in Florida and theyve been told that there may be plans to bring them back on one of the Thomson ships.

P'raps now P&O are American there wont be a repeat of the Dunkirk Spirit that saw Canberra helping out in the Falklands! They'l probably join the fray when the hard works been done!!

P & O are allowing some passengers to get on to their ships on the last leg from Gibraltar, but through the booking agent and they are primarily being used for people who have medical treatment booked in the UK next week (lots of folk in Gib go to UK hospitals) - so even though the tickets cost money, they are 'doing their bit' to help out in a crisis.

Can't see how you can blame P+O - Its a cruise company not a sea going taxi company.

Just because other cruise servers are doing something, it does not mean every other one should jump on what well may be a publicity seeking bandwagon

P & O are allowing some passengers to get on to their ships on the last leg from Gibraltar, but through the booking agent and they are primarily being used for people who have medical treatment booked in the UK next week (lots of folk in Gib go to UK hospitals) - so even though the tickets cost money, they are 'doing their bit' to help out in a crisis.

Yes, I wrote that a Gib company is offering this - but they were offering this two weeks ago before the problem!! And its to anyone willing to pay!! I have the e-mail yesterday quoting the price!

And they are insisting in the UK that they don't do segments - which they do!!

Sorry, not doing anyone any favours. I have the ad offering two other P&O cruises from Gib to the UK and three from Southampton to Malaga!! Doesn't mention sick people.

Can't see how you can blame P+O - Its a cruise company not a sea going taxi company.

Just because other cruise servers are doing something, it does not mean every other one should jump on what well may be a publicity seeking bandwagon

If you were stuck here in Spain with no money, kids and elderly grandparents in tow, you wouldn't be saying that!!

The only way to the UK is by sea or Chunnel - from a humanitarian point-of-view, I would expect any company earning their bucks by transporting Brits across oceans, to assist when needed.

Just my opinion and they have been well and truly shown up by Celebrity!! I can assure you that those rescued by Celebrity, whatever Celebrity's motive, will be extremely grateful - and so would you be in their situation.

Fascinating thread! My friends' daughter and her fiance are on Eclipse for their honeymoon in August having been introduced to cruising on a P&O weekender on Artemis with us all. We are all Thomson passengers and fans as well!

Carol x

Well, of course, not everyone has a credit card.

But some people have saved all year for their holiday and have no spare cash. Some of those that have credit cards and are putting thousands on them, not knowing how they are going to pay them off, are worried sick!!

We are here in Spain experiencing this. Thank goodness the planes are now flying - but it has been an eye-opener in the way that modern travel can impact us when it fails.

We are an island and the failure of air travel impacts us more than mainland Europe.

We are an island and the failure of air travel impacts us more than mainland Europe.

Yes I think this dramatic event will remind all of us that we are a Island and can be cut off from the rest of the world very easily. May we never forget that fact.....

Archived