Ice tea sweet?

smudgie

I thought sweet tea was strictly a Southern thing. We are always asked if we want sweet

or unsweet when we order iced tea. On the other hand, I've been out of the South

and requested unsweet to be told that's house iced tea comes!

Glad to know Princess let's you sweeten it yourself.

I'm surprised that sweet is a Canadian thing......maybe our ways have rubbed off

during winter vacations! Like I learned about poutine up there and can't get it anywhere

else.

I haven't had the ice tea on Princess, but I must say that I love the ice tea on cruise ships. You do have to sweeten yourself (which is my preference anyway) cause I also like it very sweet haha. But I think it's delicious :)

It isn't possible to properly sweeten iced tea. The sweetener should be added while the tea is hot and the ice added just prior to serving. Since all of the cruise ships I've been on offer only unsweet tea, good sweet ice tea must be classified as unavailable.

I thought sweet tea was strictly a Southern thing. We are always asked if we want sweet

or unsweet when we order iced tea. On the other hand, I've been out of the South

and requested unsweet to be told that's house iced tea comes!

Glad to know Princess let's you sweeten it yourself.

I'm surprised that sweet is a Canadian thing......maybe our ways have rubbed off

during winter vacations! Like I learned about poutine up there and can't get it anywhere

else.

Not Texas southern. Very little sweet tea here!

DD and I thought that the tea on Princess was the WORST we have ever tried and we are transplanted Northern gals --- it's made with a funky syrup and is as dark as molasses. One night at dinner I asked the servers to bring a Sprite for her otherwise I'd have her call their cabin in the middle of the night due to the excessive caffeine in that tea. :D ... They brought the Sprite, no problem, but we never ordered tea again.

I love iced tea and sometimes found the iced tea in the dining rooms to be very strong. At the Horizon Court, I usually fill one glass full of ice and the other with iced tea and just pour the tea into the glass of ice. Dilutes the tea and gets it very cold...

I don't mind the iced tea on Princess' ships. An earlier poster is correct about not being able to dissolve sugar in cold iced tea. Fortunately I only use Splenda in iced tea, which dissolves quite nicely in cold drinks, i.e. iced tea. Being diabetic, I don't even have sugar at home. If I go out for breakfast or dinner, I use Splenda in my coffee.

On a couple earlier cruises the particular ship didn't even carry Splenda. On another cruise one of the staff in the buffet rationed the Splenda; I was asked how many packets I wanted for my drink. After that I started taking along a box of 100 packets, so each time I went to the buffet or dining room I'd take along a few packets. Lately I'm finding that the ships now carry Splenda, and they aren't rationed, so I'll probably stop taking a box with me./COLOR]

is the ice tea on the ships sweet? us Canadians like it like that...well some of us...give me the un sweetened anytime...

My first time in Canada, I was unaware that iced tea came sweetened. I added my usual 3 packets of sugar to it. I learned my lesson real fast! The sweetened tea in Canada is different from the sweet tea you find in the Southern US. I like them both, but they have different flavors.

As for the iced tea on Princess, it's unsweetened, and quite strong. I like it that way, but some people find it it too strong.

Oh, and don't expect to find gravy for your fries either.

I guess Canadians like sweet stuff. We used ketchup out of a Heinz bottle at a Canadian rest. It didn't taste like Heinz. So when we got back I called Heinz and they state that it is a different formula for Canada ( it is sweeter).

I don't care for sweet iced tea but that is my husband's favorite drink. He agrees that it cannot be properly sweetened in tea that is already iced. When we go to the horizon court he puts sugar or splenda - depending on his mood - in a cup which he fills with hot water. After the sugar is dissolved he pours it over ice and then adds tea from the dispenser. I find this rather amusing as it really is a production.

Katisdale, your husband had a great idea which I'll copy on my next cruise. But I'll get only a small amount of hot water so that I can supersaturate it with Splenda and then add to my tea followed by the ice. That way my tea won't be too weak and will hopefully be reasonably sweet.

Tea sweetened with Splenda isn't nearly as good as tea sweetened with the real thing. It is, however, better than no tea at all; but not by much.

west coast loves sweet iced tea just as much as east coast. :)

places here in canada generally dont have unsweetened ice tea. ice tea is sweet ice tea to us. ice tea is kind of like a type of pop("soda" for our american friends) comes in a can, bottle or fountain drink. its not brewed or anything. Lipton ice tea or Nestea are top brands here.

Okay, I'm Canadian and married to a southerner (La.) so I figure that makes me an expert to sound off. I like Princesses iced tea. My DH (the southerner) actually sweetens the ice tea with one of the artificial sweeteners when on the ship - which I find hilarious. The first time we went down south I could not bear to drink that stuff (now I love the unsweetened tea). I think it all speaks to taste, preferences and adaptation. There are many red wines in the world -- does everyone like one --NO!! Same with ice tea.

I've seen a few say the Princess tea wasn't that good, but I like it. I'll take a large plastic mug on the cruise with me and fill it with tea, ice... and then ask for a glass of lemonade, which Princess will be happy to provide.

I mix it all together and have my Arnold Palmer for the day!

Archived